Project Goldwing RR Begins.. Goldwing Cafe with a twist...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

BusaRider
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Project Goldwing RR Begins.. Goldwing Cafe with a twist...

Post by BusaRider »

Imagine my surprise when I learned I wasn't the only guy with a naked Goldwing.... I really couldn't believe there was a whole forum dedicated to them.. I've been lurking and reading for the past couple weeks and buying lots of parts after looking and reading about your builds... Many thanks to all that post here and have made my life much easier trying to figure out what will work and what wont......

I guess its time to post up what I have been doing. Basically this bike was 1981 GL1100 interstate. All luggage etc stripped down. Kawi 7" headlight. 65 bug trim ring around headlight. Kawi 1200 seat. Rear fender cut and rolled forward. Front fender cut all up. Forks dropped 2". Unknown donor rear turn signal/ brake lights. Widened Clubman bars 2". Aftermarket mirrors and front turn signals . I changed the exhaust to sportster slip ons, after seeing that mod on here. I used a 4" length of 1 5/8" pipe (Napa 41429) welded to the stock header to connect the sportster pipes. It fits perfectly inside the harley slipons and perfectly outside the factory GW header. Actually a little too perfectly. I am having a hard time getting the slipons back off after mockup to put clamps on. I have adjusted the valves and changed all fluids, oil 3 times. Radiator had some kind of dark green fluid in it. Might have been anti-freeze but I have never seen it forest green. It was very clean just an odd color.. I spent a whole day getting the turn signals to work. Wiring is a bit of a mess......

The carbs I think may need Randakk's kit and video. The bike stumbles around a little and backfires here and there, but runs very well for the most part. I dumped 1/2 can of seafoam in and am seeing how that works out. I am really trying to get this bike running well before I continue with my bastardization of this Japanese classic :)
Left Side
Left Side
GWRR1.JPG (83.6 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Right Side
Right Side
GWRR2.JPG (55.43 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Rear
Rear
gwrr3.JPG (44.33 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Plans. Paint fun will commence in 5 weeks. Corvette yellow with some funky cafe graphics. I'll post up some low res pics (ipad) of the graphics. The Goldwing RR this started as a joke and kind of stuck..... The graphics were done with very new technology. They are high res done in metallic, with no laminate. Perfect for burying in clear coat. These pictures don't do them justice. Even seeing them indoors doesn't do them justice. The metallics really sparkle once cleared and in the light. I am going to paint the bike while the weather is still decent. Over the winter I will do a complete dismantle, clean, polish, powder coat etc.

The twist. Cafe bike theme with a sidecar. 1970's California sidecars brand. Learning curve was a little steep, but I am gradually learning to ride the bike and not fight it. It gets easier to ride every day...
Last edited by BusaRider on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
'81 GL1100 - Café with a Twist * 1990 Suzuki GSXR-1100
2000 Triumph Speed Triple * 2016 BMW F800GS
2013 BMW S1000RR * 2017 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic
BusaRider
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Project Goldwing RR Begins.. Goldwing Cafe with a twist.

Post by BusaRider »

Graphics: All graphics are white, metallic silver and black....

Tank
gwrr5.JPG
gwrr5.JPG (63.24 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Skunk Stripe (2 in picture, only 1 stripe down center of bike)
GWrr9.JPG
GWrr9.JPG (32.24 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Side Cover Logos
gwrr7.JPG
gwrr7.JPG (54.77 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Side Car number plates:
GWRR8.JPG
GWRR8.JPG (43.89 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

'busarider welcome here and I bet the riding is nice in PA this time of year?
Needles to say we get a lot of noobs who are eager to tear into their carbs & get theor NGWs running goodly.
Let me mention it is better to make sure your ignition system is 100% before tearing into the carbs.
The '81 1100 has electronical ignition...no points.
The coils have replaceable plug wires.
Remember those wires and caps are 30+ years old.
Everybody changes the sparkplug wires on their cars when performing a tune up but no one ever thinks of that when trying to get their 'wings running good.
So before getting after those carbs replace your wires and caps and plugs
Also adjust your valves.
After these two simple procedures see how it runs......
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Good advice from Fish of course, ignition always pristine first. Love the bike and sidecar. Looking forward to learning more about the build.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

The coolant you saw may have been Honda brand coolant. It is a dark green like that.

If I may make one suggestion. You may want to stiffen the forks up a little. Dropping them 2" is quite a bit. Under very hard braking, especially with the hack, they could bottom out on the lower triple tree. That wouldn't be fun.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Thats a good looking hack, any info on that ? The bike is lookin good to, goes without saying.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
cbghia
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by cbghia »

Love a sidecar, and that hack looks better than most! That nose is cool!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
75 GL1000
76 CB550 Cafe bike
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Your bike looks like it's been here. Sweet.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BusaRider
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BusaRider »

Thanks for the replies. I'm considering doing the Dodge Neon coil swap out, but will head the advice and build a set of plug wires today for it..... I hadn't considered any adjustment to the forks, as I hadn't noticed any dive in the front end. I'll have to take it out today and get into the front brake really hard and see what happens....

I don't really know anything about the sidecar. The PO said it was a "California Sidecar". That's about all I know. The only one I can find online that resembles it, looks like it was made for a Vespa scooter....
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Very cool rig.

I don't recall any mention of timing belts ... just askin'. ;) They are very important.
BusaRider
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BusaRider »

I ordered everything to do the Neon coil swap. I ordered air fliter, fuel filter and got new fuel lines. I also ordered timing belts, hoses etc. Ordering Randakk's carb kit as I think the accelerator pump is jacked. I might as well rebuild just to be done with it.

I test fitted the cafe fairing and don't really like the look. It needs to go lower. So I ordered digital gauges, new ignition, fork mount headlight ears and some dummy lights so I can ditch the big factory gauges and bring the cafe fairing down low. I also have a set of drag bars that I might widen and install. The clubmans look great, but do touch the tank on full turn. I also dont like the look of the clubmans with the fairing on.......

Here's a much better picture of the way the bike sits now....
Roady

Post by Roady »

That front fender is killer. And I like the way you laid in the HD pipes.
cbghia
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by cbghia »

I love the look of open belts! So nice. That is a great looking wing.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
75 GL1000
76 CB550 Cafe bike
BusaRider
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BusaRider »

Thanks again for the comments.. I'm trying to figure out how to keep fuel and temp gauges with my aftermarket vapor pod.... I ordered headlight ears a new headlight and the rest of the maintenance items...

I'm really also trying to figure out what to do for a seat/fender/tail lights.. I have been reading tons of threads and the use of a speed triple seat piqued my interest... The posts are vague.. One post says 02 speed triple seat... But it is nothing like the seat on my speedie... The seat in question is longer and one piece where my speedie seat is 2-piece... Think I am going to have to take a look when I get home and see how well it matches up....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.82 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
BusaRider
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BusaRider »

I have been ordering parts up and getting ready for my return home. While reading a book about side cars, I came across something interesting... The author suggested using a car battery if there is room behind the side car seat. It provides much more power, but also some ballast... Not only do I have room, I also have a spare battery and box... Any reason I can't use this set up on my bike? I don't know --- a lot about stators or possible issues with them charging a car battery...
Thanks!