My 81 GL Interstate(no name yet..lol)

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

My 81 GL Interstate(no name yet..lol)

Post by backwoodz »

Okay I never got any pictures when i first trailered it home. It was a 1981 Interstate that has been sitting since 2004. Clock shows 39k. Complete partially running bike I over paid $650 for. :IDTS:

It would start but only ran with choke up...I pulled the carbs and they were not bad but air cutoffs were totally shot and pilots clogged. Tank was rusty but of course I have seen worse. :lol:

I have the carbs completely cleaned and ready to go back together just waiting on my tank derusting to finish.

Here is how it sits now. I have no shop to work in so I am at the mercy of mother nature for now.

Carb racks out.

Head light ears and blinkers and Honda badge from a 81 CB900 after abit of modification to fit the GL.

Tankless

Tank being cleaned as I type1

I left the sending unit inplace but not sure if that is okay. If not I guess I will be replacing it... :IDTS:

Going to let her cook for a few hours then check the progress.

Editted.....
okay got impatient and after 1 hour cooking checked the progress. It seems to be doing good. I Cleaned the all thread and started it back up.

1981 GL1100
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: My 81 GL Intestate(no name yet..lol)

Post by Casper »

I love your high tech custom insulator for the electrolysis rust removal process ;)
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by backwoodz »

Casper wrote:I love your high tech custom insulator for the electrolysis rust removal process ;)
lolol cost a $1...I grabbed it while grabbing the arm and hammer.

I found some pictures of the bike before I started dismantling her.
I took this with my camera phone of my monitor.....because for some reason my computor is fubar and will not let me upload to photobucket from it. I am thinking it is time to reformat this girl also.

Image I gave away the front fairing already.

I will be running it with a shorty windsheild or batwing fairing with rear honda bags. Eventaully it may go nekid but for now semi is good enough until I get a nice corbin style seat.
1981 GL1100
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

looks like a good start. keep the pictures coming
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by backwoodz »

Whats a good estimate of cleaning the tank using a 6-10 amp variable charger? It has ran for about 6 hours. I have cleaned the all thread 4 times. I noticed it draws good current for about two minutes after the rod is clean and then settles down. Can you over cook it?
1981 GL1100
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

backwoodz wrote:Whats a good estimate of cleaning the tank using a 6-10 amp variable charger? It has ran for about 6 hours. I have cleaned the all thread 4 times. I noticed it draws good current for about two minutes after the rod is clean and then settles down. Can you over cook it?
I don't believe you can over cook it. Just do it till the rust is gone. I've heard of some guys doing for a day or longer. You just need to keep the anode cleaned. That's another good reason to use a large anode.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by backwoodz »

robin1731 wrote:
backwoodz wrote:Whats a good estimate of cleaning the tank using a 6-10 amp variable charger? It has ran for about 6 hours. I have cleaned the all thread 4 times. I noticed it draws good current for about two minutes after the rod is clean and then settles down. Can you over cook it?
I don't believe you can over cook it. Just do it till the rust is gone. I've heard of some guys doing for a day or longer. You just need to keep the anode cleaned. That's another good reason to use a large anode.
Thanks.
Weird the charger draws 8-10 amps for like 2 minutes and then drops to 2 amps......then I look at the anode and it is covered in a petina green scale. No matter how many time I clean it it does the same routine. Did I use too much soda? I poured in about 1-1/2 to 2 cups to the 5 gallons.

I just now waking up after not getting to bed till after 2:30. Man oh man this place is addictive. I stayed up way too late reading a few 40 page+ build threads.

Coffee time..
1981 GL1100
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Looking great, good progress.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

what is your vision for the finial work of art?
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Re: My 81 GL Interstate(no name yet..lol)

Post by sunnbobb »

nice to see the rust removal process
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by backwoodz »

CYBORG wrote:what is your vision for the finial work of art?
If I could find the right batwing fairing then a street glide look. The bike will always be black. That color was made for lean and mean street machines.

Even though I do love the orange dragon bike I see posted here with the solo seat. I would like to do a complete tear down in the future and black out the engine like his with just some hints of polished and chrome.
1981 GL1100
backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by backwoodz »

sunnbobb wrote:nice to see the rust removal process
It works but is timely. The only area I am not seeing really good progress is the top of the tank. I try to make sure there are no air spaces but just seems the line of sight is not getting up there. maybe I should try moving my grounded location..Hard to think that matters though. I am going to keep cooking for another day. It is 100 times better than when I started
1981 GL1100
backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by backwoodz »

I have a dilemma. I was reassembling my m81 carb rack and can not find the plastic fuel tube than runs beteen the the plenum halves. I am not sure it was even there when I tore it apart. I could tell someone had tried to rebuild them by the plenum stripped screws but they got them totally apart.
I see the plenum has an o-ring built into that section so why is that tube there? Is it possible to run with out it or am I going to have to try and find/make one? If I try to find one any suggestion? Thew only one I am seeing on ebay is some jackleg wanting $50 for that straw... :shock:
1981 GL1100
backwoodz
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by backwoodz »

I got my answer from Randakk's website. I have to find a plenum tube before I can finish assembling the plenum... :IDTS:
1981 GL1100
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

backwoodz wrote:I got my answer from Randakk's website. I have to find a plenum tube before I can finish assembling the plenum... :IDTS:
I believe you can use a piece from a ball point pen. Pull the pen apart. And the tube that the ink is in is pretty close to the same size. you just cut it down to the correct length. I think Randakk used to explain this mod on his site. (you do need to clean the ink out ;) )
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder