And So It Begins - A GL1000 Resto

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

BruteSquad
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: And So It Begins - A GL1000 Resto

Post by BruteSquad »

taylorsel wrote:Don't really know where you are in the US but here in VA I have not coated any of my tanks and don't always keep a full tank and haven't had any issues with rust. I try not to keep them over the winter without a full tank of 100% gasoline.

In the bikes I have restored Ive found that the real challenge is getting the dried gas varnish chunks and coating out of a tank after sitting for years.
Good to know, thanks. I'm in Cincinnati. Not a lot of places around here to get 100% gas. :-?

I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the tank, either...
1977 GL1000
2006 DL650 VStrom

“Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
BruteSquad
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BruteSquad »

John83 wrote:Very cool. I just got a 76 in similar shape so I'll be following this with interest.
I'll be watching yours as well! Hopefully I don't fall too far behind. anim-cheers1
1977 GL1000
2006 DL650 VStrom

oldwings 78
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by oldwings 78 »

Looks like you have it under control. Do you know if the regular (stock) headlight is under the fairing? It will save you a couple of headaches if it is.
Terry
"A man who is good at making excuses is rarely good at anything else" Benjamin Franklin
"A man who will sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither" Benjamin Franklin
'78s are the best looking GLs Just ask Doc
BruteSquad
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BruteSquad »

oldwings 78 wrote:Looks like you have it under control. Do you know if the regular (stock) headlight is under the fairing? It will save you a couple of headaches if it is.
Terry
I have no clue. Didn't even know that was possible. I'll be looking when I get home!
1977 GL1000
2006 DL650 VStrom

BruteSquad
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BruteSquad »

I was feeling a little destructive last night so decided to remove the badonkadonk (that's a technical term). It went fine, I just wanted to try to preserve the original wiring and leave as much wiring to the lights themselves intact.

This is what I was dealing with, a splice to splice to splice to a...

And this is what I will be dealing with when I get to the front:

I don't even know where this goes but it looks like cord to a lamp.

I'm guessing this is where the bike was originally purchased. A quick google search revealed nothing.

Should I keep this?

The removal itself went fine. Remove lots of cable ties and electrical tape, make a few snips, loosen some bolts and voila! The junk in the trunk is gone! It is a totally different bike this way. Can't wait to pull the fairing, but I'm going to concentrate on getting it running next. Oh, and say hello to the VStrom!

1977 GL1000
2006 DL650 VStrom

taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

Those Blue vampire clips have been on every old GL I've bought. I think they came with the aftermarket bags and ferrings. They are fairly easy to unclip but be sure and tape over the "wound"
I'd be suprised If you have an original headlight under the farring. I wonder what happened to all those headlights that have been removed back in the day. That mess of wiring inside the farring may not be a problem. usually there is a single multi prong plug that connects the farring to the bikes wiring harness. There will be a bunch more of those blue vampire clips near where your original headlight used to be.
STEVE LOGAN, 1979 GOLDWING, 1978 GOLDWING, 1976 GOLDWING
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Scotch locks and wire nuts. Don't ya just love it!

It looks like she went on a crash diet. ;)
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

BruteSquad wrote:
Should I keep this?

Just add a row of these...
bullet studs.jpg
bullet studs.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 270 times
and throw it up on Ebay! lolol

Mine usually come with the Yosemite Sam Back Off flap.
Great to keep these old 'Wings flying on down the road.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Scotch Lock connectors often damage the wire they are tapping into - better check that, too. I have been covering the "wound" with liquid electrical tape on my project. Several places were cut deep enough that they had to be opened and spliced. I recommend getting a wiring diagram for your year and check against it when things get questionable. And pull ALL connectors apart, at a minimum clean and coat with dielectric grease. On my project, I'm cutting most of them off and replacing with new connectors soldered as well as crimped, as I found several original Honda crimp joints would vary in conductivity as they were flexed.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
BruteSquad
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BruteSquad »

taylorsel wrote:Those Blue vampire clips have been on every old GL I've bought. I think they came with the aftermarket bags and ferrings. They are fairly easy to unclip but be sure and tape over the "wound"
I'd be suprised If you have an original headlight under the farring. I wonder what happened to all those headlights that have been removed back in the day. That mess of wiring inside the farring may not be a problem. usually there is a single multi prong plug that connects the farring to the bikes wiring harness. There will be a bunch more of those blue vampire clips near where your original headlight used to be.
I wish I knew where the headlights got off to! I did check and it's not there. crying1 I'm not sure the light will be stock when I'm done, so for now I'll probably just see what I can come across so it has some sort of headlight. I've probably got a while til she's roadworthy.
Roady wrote:Scotch locks and wire nuts. Don't ya just love it!

It looks like she went on a crash diet. ;)
She's half way there! And after seeing how my 83 year old house has been treated few things should surprise me. People love to half-ass things. Or maybe it's they hate to use the whole thing :roll: Either way, I'm amazed the lights all worked. I could imagine there being some nice shorts if I were to ride in the rain.
pidjones wrote:Scotch Lock connectors often damage the wire they are tapping into - better check that, too. I have been covering the "wound" with liquid electrical tape on my project. Several places were cut deep enough that they had to be opened and spliced. I recommend getting a wiring diagram for your year and check against it when things get questionable. And pull ALL connectors apart, at a minimum clean and coat with dielectric grease. On my project, I'm cutting most of them off and replacing with new connectors soldered as well as crimped, as I found several original Honda crimp joints would vary in conductivity as they were flexed.
Liquid electrical tape. Have to look into that one. I do have to fix the wounds, I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to so I left it alone last night. For now I'm going to clean up the electric best I can, but down the road will most likely replace all connectors and if I'm really feeling masochistic just redo the whole darn thing. I hate leving things undone.
1977 GL1000
2006 DL650 VStrom

taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

"I wish I knew where the headlights got off to! I did check and it's not there. crying1 I'm not sure the light will be stock when I'm done, so for now I'll probably just see what I can come across so it has some sort of headlight. I've probably got a while til she's roadworthy."

I tried a couple times to get original head lights for my bikes but have not been successful. I ended up buying aftermarket lights off of e-the-bay the 7 inch lights run about $80 to $90 and the 6 1/4 lights run about $35 to 40. I used the smaller lights just because I like the look of the slightly smaller lights. I used 1/2 in chrome spacers to make up the difference between the ear mounts.

Some will say on here that there is not enough room to put your wiring connectors in the smaller light. Thats your call, but I havn't had that problem. I have the smaller lights on all three of my bikes.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

The lights (and even mounting ears) show up on eBay all the time. Luckily, I already had a set for mine from a previous '77 that had a Shadow fairing. If you use the liquid tape (boat supply houses, home builder supply places carry it), clean the dirt and road grime/grease off of the wire well with some 91% isopropyl alcohol and clean rags first. They use it on boat/outboard repair a lot.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
BruteSquad
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BruteSquad »

Picked up some liquid tape today. I need to fix those before I forget about it. Hoping to get out into the garage tonight and hopefully change my timing belts and start the engine lubing process.

I noticed this the other day.

Does this look wrong? It looks loose, but I'm not sure. I haven't touched any of the bolts. Definitely looks like there is oil leaking out of the valve cover.
1977 GL1000
2006 DL650 VStrom

wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

BruteSquad wrote:Picked up some liquid tape today. I need to fix those before I forget about it. Hoping to get out into the garage tonight and hopefully change my timing belts and start the engine lubing process.

I noticed this the other day.

Does this look wrong? It looks loose, but I'm not sure. I haven't touched any of the bolts. Definitely looks like there is oil leaking out of the valve cover.
Other than the dripping oil, it looks correct.
There will be a gap there when tightened.
Great to keep these old 'Wings flying on down the road.
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

thisisstevejoseph wrote:it looks sooo good fully faired. id rock that every day as a car replacement.
To each their own