Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Goboy
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 30&t=60678

Re: Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

Post by Goboy »

Patricco, beer, ice cream, & pretty women & bikes are part of male genome don't cha know!
You're too small to ride a hog Billy!

Mike
1978 GL1000
Previous bikes: 05 Yamaha FJR 1300, 79 Suzuki GS 1000, 75 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Kawasaki S2 350
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Yea, I guess I knew that was part of my male make-up; I just need a bigger blender for the mix up.

Fi! Fi! Fi! Fi, the knurled ferrule. After installing the grips & mirrors & letting the alcohol evaporate for several days (lucky it wasn't weeks), I noticed the right control unit slipping again. As my mother would say as she witnessed my working out some math or grammar problem, "You're not at your wit's end, because I don't think your wit has an end." Such a nice way of calling her son a smart alec.
I've epoxied the ferrule. I've used the JB Weld, & it still spins. I tried some Lock Tite on the threads; didn't help. Today I extracted the offending part, admonished it, subjected it to the flash mode on my camera. Here it is, & I hope it's embarrassed that I took its picture in the nude.
P5210489.JPG
P5210489.JPG (62.88 KiB) Viewed 205 times
The problem-solving continues, because I am surely not at my wit's end.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

:shock:
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

This Puppy is so close to being finished that I can taste the gnats in my teeth! (That would be from riding down the street w/ the big grin, right?) Marshall's Hardware has nearly everything, so I visited the store, showed the guy the part, & he rummaged around, grunted, coughed, & pointed to several bins. I found a threaded hexagonal ferrule type widget thingey & bought several w/ properly threaded bolts. After dismantling the control unit, I noticed the ancient plastic had broken in two places. Using the appropriate amount of JB Weld I filled up as much as I could, & without clogging up the entire area. Another ferrule appeared to be trying to escape its plastic case, so I welded it in.
I'll give it a couple of days so the epoxy cures completely.
P5260495.JPG
P5260495.JPG (109.2 KiB) Viewed 171 times
P5260494.JPG
P5260494.JPG (119.1 KiB) Viewed 171 times
P5260491.JPG
P5260491.JPG (140.04 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Long day. Tuckered out. Time for some prunes. Ciao.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Yes, Marshalls Hardware. My go to place for finding any kind of nut, bolt, washer, SAE, Metric, etc. Love that place.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Heck yea, man! When I was there the other day, & on my way out, I spotted a bright yellow extension cord that matched my shirt exactly! In error I was thinking I could once again connect the Mr. Coffee Maker to the Puppy, so I popped the beautiful sunshine yellow extension cord into my already over loaded basket & headed for check-out. I had visions & dreams of being the most snazzy in the neighborhood w/ the black 'n white bike, the black awesomeness of Mr. Coffee Maker & a wonderful yellow hue of the extension cord. Fifty bucks for fifty feet--that's cheaper than Starbucks coffee! If you stacked three tall coffees upon each other, that would amount to $5.85 a foot, a ridiculous amount for coffee by the foot. Sugs, when the Puppy is finished we could meet at Marshall's, probably in the tools section, & mull over future purchases.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

:lol:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Woeth, woeth, woeth me for I have been besieged by the JB Weld failure. First, Nagasaki & Hiroshima, then Nixon resigns, Mt. Saint Helens blows her top, then Reagan removes the solar panels from the White House roof, American Motors & their wonderful designs become defunct (Remember the Gremlin, the Ambassador, the Javelin, the Marlin, the Pacer--all at the cutting edge of peculiar automotive design), and now a JB Weld failure.
I took the Puppy out into the neighborhood for a scoot, & when I returned the R switch housing was loose. So, the bike's for sale! No, it isn't! Yes, it is! No, it isn't! Yes, it is! No, it isn't. My personality disorder is a bit disordered today. I'll sleep on it, write a letter to JB Weld asking for advice & move on. I'll deflect this bummer w/ a story about a guy & his truck.
A buddy of mine was towing a big box truck from Atlanta to San Diego w/ his big truck when he hit black ice in Texas. Those of you in Texas & those who know black ice, know it is treacherous. Right after breakfast in Texas, the wind hit the trucks & the black ice was right there under the tires, so he spun out, rolled, disconnected. He was OK. Trucks were damaged. And now the important part: HE REATTACHED THE STEERING COLUMN IN HIS TRUCK W/ JB WELD & DROVE BACK TO SAN DIEGO!
If he can attach a steering column, why can't I repair a plastic switch housing? Aaaah, the rhetoric continues.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I have nothing but respect for JB weld. The slow stuff,...not the instant stuff. Soooo I have to wonder if it was operator error :lol: :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Were it not so darn slow here at the pizzeria, I would not even consider a response in heat. But I'm taking umbrage, the biggest umbrage, yugest umbrage, so sad umbrage, in that someone would think I could make a mistake. [But then again, I'm not sure if I read the directions.] After work tonight, I will re-re-read the directions to see if the stuff is even compatible w/ 37-year-old plastic of oriental origin. Then I will check my lab notes to determine if there was a flaw in the application; then I will interrogate the operator to determine expertise, sanity, attention span, hand-eye coordination, personality disorder, general disorder, sobriety, etc. After delving into the scientific method, I, too, may develop nothing but respect for JB Weld.
(I think I hear the phone ringing or a pizza falling from the oven.)
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Is there anything that J-B Weld WON’T bond to?
J-B Weld will not adhere or bond well to:
Any flexible rubber surface
Leather
Vinyl
Canvas
Polypropylene plastic
Polyethylene plastic
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Somebody has re-re-read them for you!
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I had to put on my man-pants after work because it was so chilly here, 5speed. It's about 60 degrees. The coyotes are yipping like they own the place; technically, they probably did own the place, but we humans have built on their ancestral land. Anyway, I've taken 5speed's implied advice; anytime someone types in red, you gotta pay attention. I thought JB Weld was the fix-all in the galaxy. From listening to people, friends, mechanics, girlfriends, acquaintances, TV commercials, the Hairdo-in-Chief, well, I thought it could repair anything (except my marriage bond, but that wasn't worth it). I never heard about it from my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Woodburn, so there's a clue.
P5300498.JPG
P5300498.JPG (137.53 KiB) Viewed 104 times
It didn't work. So I went to a big box store & read all the directions of all the epoxies. Funny how they leave out the fact that they don't work on some plastics. Some labels do say, & some do not. One label stated the epoxy wouldn't work w/ nylon, Teflon, "PP or PE" but they don't explain that PP probably means polypropylene & PE means polyethylene; sly dogs. This time I used cyanoacrylate. We'll see tomorrow if it holds.
It has dipped down to a near freezing 59 degrees. Time to don the onsey & hit the sack.
Last edited by Patriccio on Tue May 30, 2017 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

I wonder if the JB weld plastic putty would work better in your situation. I used it to repair a plastic buttress on the rear cowling of my CB-1(we won't talk about how or who broke it) and it seems to be holding well.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

That was quick. If the cyanoacrylate doesn't work, I'll try it. Time for prunes & my onesey.
Last edited by Patriccio on Tue May 30, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.