"Bad Idea" low budget build

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

cklamer
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: "Bad Idea" low budget build

Post by cklamer »

Hey did we meet at the breakfast in Huntsville last Saturday?
I have the 1979 Goldwing that was there.
1981 HONDA BANDIT CB890CR CAFE RACER
1979 HONDA GL1000 GOLDWING (Naked of course)
2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS 14
BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

I truly admire your work. I have been eyeing this thread for a while and stealing ideas!

Great work!

-Brian
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
1992 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000

Solid rotors suck! I have the PDF for the rotor drilling template, PM me if you would like a copy.
elwood440
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by elwood440 »

cklamer wrote:Hey did we meet at the breakfast in Huntsville last Saturday?
I have the 1979 Goldwing that was there.
YES that was me. I guess I should have been more specific when I introduced myself. "I'm the guy you were talking to about handlebars. I'm also working on a 79, but I am WAAAAY slower at making it happen than you" :mrgreen: I've been trying to bump into you at a local event for a while, but don't get out to many. Also I hadn't seen you around here much since you finished your build. It looks great!

BigBrian27 wrote:I truly admire your work. I have been eyeing this thread for a while and stealing ideas!

Great work!

-Brian
anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 Thanks Brian! Steal away! Everything I've done (mostly) has already been stolen from someone else. I've said it before, but I hardly consider myself a "good" builder. I'm mostly cleaning up parts and assembling them. And research, I do a lot of that before I do anything on this bike. I would be lost without the priceless knowledge base that is NGW. I will congratulate myself once I push the button and it runs. Who knows, I could still be looking at a battle getting the engine to fire.
83 GL650i parked for maintenance
79 GL1000 "Bad Idea" current ride
I do all my spannering myself

"There's no excuse for the things I'm about to do"
cklamer
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by cklamer »

Thanks and I hope to see yours at breakfast soon.
1981 HONDA BANDIT CB890CR CAFE RACER
1979 HONDA GL1000 GOLDWING (Naked of course)
2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS 14
BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

elwood440 wrote: anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 Thanks Brian! Steal away! Everything I've done (mostly) has already been stolen from someone else. I've said it before, but I hardly consider myself a "good" builder. I'm mostly cleaning up parts and assembling them. And research, I do a lot of that before I do anything on this bike. I would be lost without the priceless knowledge base that is NGW. I will congratulate myself once I push the button and it runs. Who knows, I could still be looking at a battle getting the engine to fire.
As someone who just got their wing running, it's a great feeling!
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
1992 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000

Solid rotors suck! I have the PDF for the rotor drilling template, PM me if you would like a copy.
elwood440
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by elwood440 »

Quick Update:

I haven't fallen off the map completely. I'm still here, but my progress has dwindled. I was so hoping to get the bike completed before the cold weather hit, but it just wasn't in the cards. Specifically, I haven't been able to obtain the welding help I need done for the exhaust. But I have good news! I have actually finally sent my parts off to the welder. A great guy I work with is doing the work. It took some time to get the parts to him because either he was out of town, or I was out of town, or it was a holiday weekend... whatever. I am also not rushing him, because he does the work at home when he's off the clock. I will pay him though, he's not giving me a freebie.

I'll get some good pics of the weld work once I get the parts back. Until then, I can add a roll of header wrap to my total.
Header Wrap - $12.99
Total so far - $2665.45

Lessee.. The wire wheel for the horseshoe cleanup is paid for.. I have most of a can of VHT flat black already, but I might want a satin instead.. I do still need a couple header clamps.. The header wrap is here already.. And then I'll need a can of e0 gas... :-D

BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Header Wrap- I have some on my pipes and I love the look and how it blocks the heat.

HOWEVER, after one summer the wrap is looking a little ratty. Not sure why because nothing ever touches the wrap, ever. I did not spray the sealer on it, maybe that's the problem.

Anyway, I just want yours to look better than mine.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
elwood440
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by elwood440 »

BikeMaine wrote:Header Wrap- I have some on my pipes and I love the look and how it blocks the heat.

HOWEVER, after one summer the wrap is looking a little ratty. Not sure why because nothing ever touches the wrap, ever. I did not spray the sealer on it, maybe that's the problem.

Anyway, I just want yours to look better than mine.
I have had some on my GL650 that has lasted several years now, but I guess that doesn't mean this stuff will wear the same. On the 650, I put the wrap on for two reasons. First, I wanted to finally seal the joint between the header and the crossover box for good (it worked) and second, cover up the crusty rusty pipes. This time it will be purely cosmetic. I didn't spray any sealer on the 650's wrap, but I did spray it with VHT black, because I wanted black wrap but couldn't find it. And I'm not sure it made a difference, but I also took wind into account when wrapping. I wrapped back to front so the leading edges are tucked under the next wrap, like how the siding on a house all points down.

That wrap, however, was the expensive stuff at the auto parts store that was 1" wide. This stuff is cheap ebay stuff 2" wide and I don't plan on painting it. Everything is different. We shall see.

elwood440
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by elwood440 »

WELDING DONE!

[Kermit D Frog voice] YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Well it took about two months, (more?) but I finally got my outside welding work done. I can now get to the business of finishing fitment and making them nice looking. Added bonus: The guy that did the welding only charged $25! I had planned on $50, so I handed him $30 and refused change.

Here is a shot of one of the horse-collar extensions:
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG (86.3 KiB) Viewed 230 times
They will need a little grinding cleanup on the inside, and will need to be slotted and possibly shortened if needed.

Here's a couple shots of the altered aftermarket header next to an unaltered OEM header, it's MUCH lighter. (OEM on the bottom):
IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2279.JPG (159.15 KiB) Viewed 230 times
nice!
nice!
IMG_2280.JPG (98.83 KiB) Viewed 230 times
This means the left and right headers will have different mounting, but you'll never notice because they are underneath.

And Finally, the full system ready for fitting/fine tuning/beautification. (don't mind the dent. I'm not worried about it, plus it will be covered up)
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG (154.11 KiB) Viewed 230 times
I will hit the rust with the drill-mounted wire wheel, and spray with black VHT. The chrome will be shined up a bit, and the headers wrapped.

Hired Welding - $30
Total so far - $2695.45

Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

"Low budget build" --isn't it scary how the cost of the restoration just keeps climbing? I am finishing up a 78 that started at $75 and I now have about $2200 in it. But it is great fun and a continuing education.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
elwood440
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by elwood440 »

Easter wrote:"Low budget build" --isn't it scary how the cost of the restoration just keeps climbing? I am finishing up a 78 that started at $75 and I now have about $2200 in it. But it is great fun and a continuing education.
EXACTLY! I should change the title to "low-ish budget" or "average budget." I definitely fell into the "since I'm X, I might as well Y" trap several times. I went way over what I planned, but I'm still happy with it. (now if it will just start on the first try..)

I suppose I still have the extra parts to sell off. That will help.

Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

Better save those parts for the next build, or the one after that!
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
elwood440
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by elwood440 »

Easter wrote:Better save those parts for the next build, or the one after that!
good point. :P

So I got a chance to attack the muffler with the wire wheel and my half a can of flat black VHT. It was just enough to cover the whole thing, but I'm not sure I dig the flat sheen.. It looks WAY better than when it was rusty, but the flat paint makes it look.. dirty? Like soot. or a stovepipe. Maybe its not as bad as I'm thinking, but I'm leaning toward getting a can of the VHT satin clear to go on top of this. The picture makes it look lots better than it does in person.
masking is still on the tips.
masking is still on the tips.
IMG_2286.JPG (128.38 KiB) Viewed 192 times

BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

I agree with a clear-coat.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I use the flat on mine. By the time you get the chrome shields on and the muffler mounted it doesn't look nearly as bad.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder