I'm a newbie

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: I'm a newbie

Post by Fred Camper »

These bikes are nothing but trouble. I will take it off your hands for no cost to you LOL. Seriously, looks great and glad you got the brakes unlinked as that is much better for stopping. You are going to continue to love that bike a long time.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Wow! That's patience. I just read through your build thread running back nearly a decade.

I'm glad to read that you got her running. Fred makes a good offer (ha!).

I have an '83 (ok 2 if you count the parts bike) and thought I'd hate the linked brakes. I spent lots of time looking at the delinking maneuvers when we were bringing that bike back from death's door. It turns out that I really think they're just fine. But I also ride an '82, and the front lever has significantly more stopping power when applied solo. Mostly I notice the difference between the bikes when braking to slow and load the front end when entering a turn.

It looks like you sourced a GL1100 side panel logo over the last 8 years. If not, PM me. I think I have one I could send your way for postage. (Not the spare panel, but a "GoldWing" logo.)
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
mbraun
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by mbraun »

mbraun wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:54 pm Well after all of these years, I finally got to ride the bike. I put in a new rod/piston did a valve job on both heads and put it back together. Then the tank had a leak. Found a good used tank, cleaned it with 5 gallons of vinegar and installed it. After putting it all back together, I took it to a shop to have the carbs rebuilt and synchronized. Got it back yesterday and went for a small ride. It has been about 20 years since I been on a bike but I can still make it work. Doing a few touch ups and getting plates and insurance this week. I hope to have a summer of worry free riding. Wish me luck!
gl1100_outside engine.jpg
gl1100_outside engine.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 159 times
gl1100_ engine removed.jpg
gl1100_ engine removed.jpg (66.81 KiB) Viewed 159 times
gl1100_inside engine.jpg
gl1100_inside engine.jpg (141.96 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Nice to hear it is running and not leaking fuel. Nice. Time for some miles before more work I think. Nice that you have a runner again.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig