GL 1200 Sniak

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: GL 1200 Sniak

Post by ericheath »

The Revival guys need to come up with different shirts. They have beards that completely cover the word "Revival" on their shirts. Actually looks like a good setup. How spends is it?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

sorry what means "how spends is it" ?
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I read "what does it cost"?
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Durned spell checker! I typed how spendy is it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

They go for about $300 US for the unit....
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

yes 250 euros or 300 dollars... quite expensive, but for me its worth the time saved and the overall quality of it.

Should you add the m-buttons the price grows, but I ordered stainless buttons for 2 euros each, and i'm building my own comodos. One more thing that I have to share with you later ;)

++
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hi guys, spring is here, so the work can continue on the build.

Progressive springs installed, quite easy, took me 15 min to do it by my self. I read here that it was going to be a pain, but if you use like me a impact wrench, lower the pressure to a few bars so that the rotation become slow, and use the good handling of the tool to compress and engage the caps with your body weight.

also, I struggled, but i mean epic fight to remove the paint from frame and swing arm with brushes. at some point I just decided to stop and leave some parts peinted where its hard to access. anyway, most of it will be masked by the other parts.
Put some varnish and now I got this :

More coming soon
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Good to see you back. Looking forward to more.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hi, I painted some parts with my "grained" paint. It was supposed to become a mat finish, but didnt work and came out bright... also, not enough grains to have the perfect finish I wanted. Anyway, I added a light cover with mate black and ok i'll accept it and see on the bike if its good :

Also, i can share my seat base, that follows the frame very close so I will be able to have a nice leather starting on the inner side of the tubes :

Still not sure of what i'll do with the rear end, but i'll have to cut a little bit

see ya
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hi guys, long time no see, i'm finishing the bike. At least I thought i was....

I unliked the brakes. Rear one bled in no time, works fine. But front.... its something else.

Thing is, when i bought the bike, i had only the front brake working, so I knew my front left caliper was fine. I connected the 2 calipers via a double banjo on the left caliper, and impossible to bleed the system. I have a large brembo front master cylinder so its not the issue. I tried almost everything including raising or lowering the calipers to bleed, lever is still very soft. So i connected only the right one, worked fine in 2 minutes, connected only the left one, lever is a sponge...

Do you think i messed something on the caliper ? could it still be some tricky air somewhere ? ( never see that i believe i know how to bleed properly ). I cant see any leak on the pistons, do you think a rebuild kit is worth it?

thanks for any help im sick of finding new problems every time i have some time to work on the bike....
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

If it's not leaking anywhere and you did get a firm system with just the right caliper attached - I'm going to guess you still have air in the left caliper/line somewhere - or at least you did when you work working on it as air can move around.

I've found a Might-Vac to be helpful when used in conjunction with pumping the M/C. Then tap and rotate the caliper around to knock air pockets loose and get them to the bleed screw.

Also, considering the left non-linked caliper was solid when riding it home, I'd rule out a rebuild kit at this point.

SS braided lines are always a good idea.

To get the correct pressure ratios, you should swap in 82 master cylinders for both the hand and foot lever as well as left front and rear calipers. Otherwise, your foot M/C will press too much and your hand M/C too little.
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hi thanks, after one night with the lever pumped, the left caliper seems ok, so yeah some air probably, im use to sport bikes calipers, mostly brembo ones and never get this king of issue, but hey, theses ones are 30 year old so....

I use a set of brembo master cylinders from a moto morini corsaro for clutch and brake, and a classic maaster cylinder for rear brake, so once i'll get it REALLY bled, im good to go.

By the way, with all this mess with the lockeed, i ruined the calipers paint...so back to work again.... but i will finish it eventually ;)

Anyway, i get my own buttons to work, combined with the m-unit it's really convenient, i hope a lot more pics soon

sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Almost done, forgot to share !

sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

no start button, I put an RFID sensor under the fake tank, so to start i just put my key holder somewhere i know and it starts
;)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Wow! That is a nicely turned 1200 with a LOT of nice touches. In no particular order, I like:

- the little fender flaps on the rear of the seat
- the slant cut on the exhaust tips
- the cutout features on the shelter
- headlight

Of course, more pictures would be nice. I'm guessing that there are other nice touches that are in there.

One nit: I don't think I care for the front brake line arrangement after unlinking them. Why not just use a common manifold and two lines down from that to each caliper? Like the factory does it.

You have a good eye and the motorcycle is really good looking. I love the 1200's.
Last edited by desertrefugee on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.