After the teardown I was able to start with the cleaning and repainting of larger parts such as the frame and associated smaller parts that hold the bike together. I cleaned the swing arm bearings and seals as they were solid from old grease and I needed a replacement drive shaft, as the original had too much play in the U joints. The front forks were rebuilt, repolished lowers and all new wheel bearings in the wheels along with new tires.
I put in a new clutch pack with mother Honda metal and EBC fibre plates and new Honda springs and a complete new starter clutch assembly. I needed to replace the starter clutch gear assembly that the rollers grab onto as the surface was severely pitted on the original part. The starter itself was fully rebuilt with all new internal key parts. I did the clutch scavanger oil pump modification while in there too and replace the output bearing in the rear case that supports the output shaft where it exits the case. All rear case seals were replaced with new and the kick starter assembly was taken apart and cleaned up to get it working correctly again, as it wouldn't return after being kicked down.
The front of the motor had new tensioner rollers and new timing belts, water pump and all new sensors for the water temperature housings. New hoses and thermostat and all new seals in the front housing/transmission cover. The carbs were rebuilt with Randakk's kit plus the throttle shaft felts were replaced with new and that caused some further work to get the throttle plates back to factory settings.
The gas tank was a mess inside of really old gas that took ages to get clean, yet the payoff was a spotless rust free tank under all that "protective coating"
I rebuilt and refreshed all the switches by taking them apart and cleaning and repainting the housings, plus the speedo and tach were also taken apart and cleaned and lubed.
rear case rebuild progress
awaiting heads return
motor ready for install
The heads were all redone with a valve job and new stem seals and as noted the heads were decked too. I later found one had an issue with a crack down in the oil return port when I got the bike running initially. I tried to fix the oil leak around the 6mm bolt with the putty style metal repair on both the outside and inside of the head. It didn't work and while a weld job may have repaired it; I opted for a replacement head as I was feeling snake bitten with this project.
I did also do the rocker arm fix noted in the Tech section of the forum from Old Fogey and he was very helpful when I initally got the bike running in helping me correct the carb throttle plate issue that I had after replacing the throttle shaft felts when I did the carb rebuild.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.