76 LTD-#5961-period correct resto-refurb. H

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: 76 LTD-#5961-period correct resto-refurb. H

Post by guitardave »

so i was going to fix the muffler right, but before i got to that, i was browsing CL....and...well...$500 and a 2 hour round trip later...
Attachments
PICT0013.JPG
PICT0013.JPG (211.24 KiB) Viewed 217 times
PICT0015.JPG
PICT0015.JPG (221.91 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Bite me
guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by guitardave »

A 13K, 1976 GL1000...no title, right cyl head off , some rust in bores...BUT, get this, never dressed! Original lights, bars, grips, grab rail, shelter hinges + cable, excellent seat, AND other than one dent in the rt head pipe, a PERFECT muffler!
That was worth the price of the whole bike.

Its a shame...this bike must have been kept indoors..in front of a picture window, i think, due to the paint fading. I say indoors because the rubber bits are nicer than any I've ever seen..the front brake hoses look literally new...not a fine crack anywhere...NO rust on the spokes..etc

..now I've got "option paralysis" on the LTD..to dress or not to dress, that is the question. (or maybe, to sell or not to sell...)

At least now i have a source for non-LTD specific parts..i may be selling parts off it after i pick over what i need...I'll do a for sale thread when I'm ready
Attachments
PICT0021.JPG
PICT0021.JPG (226.63 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICT0022.JPG
PICT0022.JPG (213.58 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICT0024.JPG
PICT0024.JPG (193.76 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICT0025.JPG
PICT0025.JPG (189.2 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICT0027.JPG
PICT0027.JPG (175.64 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Bite me
guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by guitardave »

...that red one still has an original Stanley sealed beam...and yesterday i found a pair of NOS Honda points in the glove tray...i don't know how old they are, but they are still in un-opened bags...pretty cool.

Back to the LTD project...so i restored the exhaust from the parts bike and put it on. Got it fired up..needs to be synced, but sounds really good..and quiet!...its been a while since i heard a stock early GL.

I did not test the thermostatic fan switch before i put it in...i should know better by now...so the rad came back off, fixed the switch( yea vinegar, yea NGW forum)...good to go...no leaks...so just a few things left.

A battery, some fine tuning, and then the big question...keep it or sell it. I would really like to get my money out of it...other projects need funding, but it would be nice to keep it and put some miles on it...but that means sell my 77 , that's not rare, for less money, and ride a class act that I can't beat around like i do my driver....so at this point it looks like don't dress the LTD, sell it. I guess I'll just have to write off all the work i did to the fairing, bags, and c-bars...put them on some future project maybe...

Anyhow...i know you all like pic's....so i did some "seat roulette" and i have officially determined that the 75/76 std. seat is the best looking one for an old wing. Period. Please no arguments :-D :-D :-D

...do the straps on stock LTD seats always scrunch the seat like in the pics?...the strap is longer than the standard strop, but it looks too short...??
Attachments
PICT0048.JPG
PICT0048.JPG (244 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICT0051.JPG
PICT0051.JPG (222.51 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICT0032.JPG
PICT0032.JPG (206.87 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICT0041.JPG
PICT0041.JPG (224.54 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Bite me
guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by guitardave »

...and a couple of more recent ones...( with the right/wrong seat and the right/wrong bars... :8) )
Attachments
PICTy01a (3).JPG
PICTy01a (3).JPG (199.01 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICTy01a (4).JPG
PICTy01a (4).JPG (202.13 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICTy01a (5).JPG
PICTy01a (5).JPG (218.21 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICTy01a (6).JPG
PICTy01a (6).JPG (226.88 KiB) Viewed 215 times
PICTy01a (7).JPG
PICTy01a (7).JPG (213.78 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Bite me
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

I see some non-LTD things but looks nice.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by guitardave »

Hey robin....a...thanks...( i don't know if that was a cut or a compliment....maybe a little of both?)

So tell me, Robin, if a guy walked up to you and your bike at a meet and said " it's nice, but not right" and then walks away, and says nothing....and you know for a fact that the guy commenting is someone that knows a lot more about your bike than you do....what would your initial thoughts be about the kind of guy that does that? (I have a little handle for guys like that...the first word starts with a D and the second with a B)....OK, maybe you were busy and texting and didn't have time to list the issues, OK, I understand....but please, comments like that...are like a bone without any meat on it...it makes for an unhappy pup.

So if i haven't shot myself in the foot with that first paragraph, PLEASE tell me what your seeing...I really value the knowledge you guys have here...its why i'm here. I didn't get on the web till 2009 and before that...for 30 years, i rode, built and maintained my bikes without a "forum", so please understand, i don't need a place like this for 95% of what i do to a bike..that i learned from experience. I also don't have a need to show off my work and be validated by people with fake names behind keyboards who may or may not have real knowledge and experience. I hardly ever go to meets or races..noise, chaos, overly competitive man/boy poseurs, and aimlessly wondering sheepeople are NOT my cup of tea...I ride to get away from that crap...but i digress.

The reason i am here is because of guys like you, Robin.(and Wayne, and many others) By reading lots of threads here I figured out who knows their stuff, and who is still learning. I am confident about what i know, but i am also fully aware of what i don't know, which i think is more important when it comes to acquiring knowledge and asking the right questions.

So PLEASE point out anything you see as not "correct". I have never built a fully correct restoration mostly because i don't care about "correct"...my goal for any bike i own is this, in this order; run, stop and handle as good as stock of better, make it comfortable, and lastly make it look "right". So this "get it as close to correct as possible" thing is not my normal M.O....and i know you guys know lots more stuff about these bikes than i do..so if you can help, it will be greatly appreciated.

So before we put it under the microscope, I'll list what I know is not correct...(some of which i did intentionally)...also its not finished yet...horn, passenger pegs..
1.The fork boots...(i understand hydraulics and seals enough to wonder why ALL forks don't have boots or covers..the bean counters strike again!)
2. the tail light/rear signals. ( this was done for clearance for the Bates bag lids and not having the blinker in the bag when you remove them...all for naught if i sell her in stock form...and yes, i have a perfect tail light and sigs to put on)
3. Handlebars, risers, and mirrors. (got everything to make that stuff correct, but i will NOT put that stuff on unless the future buyer wants it that way...i ain't backing down on my opinion that the bars and mirrors on a stock old wing just ruin an otherwise great looking machine..and I'm in good company, just read the 75 Cycle magazine testers opinion on em'.)
4. Some chrome bits you cant see...shelter hinges and cables..replaced the top front brake hose with a std. non-chrome end.

Questions...whats with the LTD seat strap? Do they all scrunch the seat like that?..it wasn't on when i bought it.

Whats different about LTD vs. standard handlebars? (someone here said they are different than standards....and the ones that came with the bike are in the shed along with 2 other sets, and i didn't mark which one was which..DUH! i thought they were the same.)
So, that's it for now...if you can help...Thank You in advance( and I'll remember you when i part out a bike)
Bite me
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

Hi guitardave.
Mine is in pieces (has been way too long) but I'm an original owner of an LTD.
I'll address a couple of your questions. The seat strap on my seat is tight but not as bad as the pic you posted. Not exactly sure what's going on there...strap shrinkage, seat expansion...not sure...

The LTD handle bars are taller than the stock 75, 76 bars. The LTD bars became the stock bars in 77.
If you have any other questions, I'll try to help answer them.

You've got a pretty bike! Ride it like you stole it!

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

BTW, my NGW "handle"...first word starts with a "D" and the second with a "B". Lol!

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by guitardave »

Thanks DB.....and no i did not mean dog boy :lol: ....but that was good. ( that avatar!...it looks like a DNA experiment gone wrong...waaaay wrong! :lol: )

Thanks for the info...i found the bars...they're a little different angle on the last bend, too.
I think the strap is right, but not being on the bike for many years, i think its just shrunk. I'll leave it off for the ad photos..if i sell it.

So, why is yours in pieces?....and are you planing on getting her on the road?...thanks again for the response...
Bite me
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Besides the aforementioned the seat isn't an LTD seat.

I do have a life besides on here even though it may not seem like it. I don't always have the time to post more than a quick response.

Let's just leave it at that. anim-cheers1
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
AussieGold
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AussieGold »

looks pretty close to stock. what you have there is a nice looking example of motorcycling history. here is a picture of a new LTD , i think it was owned by Pete Boody brother , its story can be found on pistol petes website.
76 LTD.jpg
76 LTD.jpg (215.55 KiB) Viewed 171 times
here is one of mine when i found it , cleverly disguised as an interstate.... :IDTS:
4 My LTD.jpg
4 My LTD.jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 171 times
and just for interests sake, here is the difference between the US and AU/EURO LTD owners manuals. both my LTD's have the manual. i know of only one other in existence so far..
the US one.....
1976 LTD Owners Manual US Model.jpg
1976 LTD Owners Manual US Model.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 171 times
and the Aussie one...
1976 LTD Owners Manual  AU and EU Model.jpg
1976 LTD Owners Manual AU and EU Model.jpg (344.23 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Mentor to all self appointed (and genuine) GURUS.

An LTD is........it just is.
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

Yep Aussie! You've got a piece of the "HOLY GOLDWING GRAIL!"
You and I have chatted about the owner's manual in the past. Truly a UNIQUE (pronounced OONIE Q) hehe, piece of LTD history! That is definitely worth the "price of admission!"

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by guitardave »

"Besides the aforementioned the seat isn't an LTD seat.
I do have a life besides on here even though it may not seem like it. I don't always have the time to post more than a quick response."

Hey Robin...that's what i figured...the time thing. No problem. In other pics the correct seat is on it.
BTW...any luck with finding a buyer in Ohio?

I take it that the euro version OM is the rare one? mines got a tool kit and manual but no key fob.
Bite me
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Dog Boy is handsome.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
AussieGold
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AussieGold »

Patriccio wrote:Dog Boy is handsome.
actually, ALL Ltd owners are extremely attractive .... and smart too.... :lol:
Mentor to all self appointed (and genuine) GURUS.

An LTD is........it just is.