76 LTD-#5961-period correct resto-refurb. H

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

L ook whaT i founD...and bought!

Post by guitardave »

Last Friday I got a call from a friend who said his neighbor had something I might be interested in...an Old Wing. Having just completed a full ( except paint on the tins) resto ($1500) on my 82 aspy-turned-interstate , along with the tax man, and the fact that my shop really don't have the room...I hesitated...and hummed and hawed..and asked "what year?"....and he said " I think a 76"...( the spider senses started tingling)...and I said "what color?" ...and he said " dark brown" ....and i said "NOOOOO!, really?...he said "yeah"....and I said "does it have gold anodized wheels?"....and he said," yeah, it does"....and that pretty much pegged the spider sense meter.

I looked at it on Friday. Its what I call an "in service" bike, i.e. still being ridden. Two owner, 38K. It fired right up, sounded quiet, no misses, no gas stink, clean tank, no frame rust, new battery....but not perfect either. it was stored outside the last couple years, under a breathable cover. The pipes need cleaned and painted, the aluminum needs work, paint is OK but needs work, etc....

But the tool kit and owners manual is nice ...no key fob..DAMN! The owner knew a bit about a LTD's extra value, so I didn't get it for a song, but lets just say if I sold the tool kit and manual at Fleabay prices, I'd have $0 invested . It also has a stock seat with no tears or cracks, an original headlight and ring, along with an almost perfect seat strap and other stuff in a box. He also gave me a Haynes manual (already got one) an old factory service manual, (didn't have one) AND an old factory parts manual....YEA!....AND a nice Bike/Transmission type floor jack. I think I did good. The PO was a very righteous guy. I raise my glass to the PO, Hal. Thank you man!

As for what to do with it..I haven't figured that out yet. There is a couple options...the little devil says, part it out, keep the motor, wheels and discs and put em on Quasi. ( Note: I'm not much of a fan of "nostalgia" nor do I much care about what other people consider to be valuable...to me value is about quality (read "Zen and the art of MM) and what I need, to have what I want.) Quasi has 93k on the chassis, and has a 78 motor with 77 carbs on it...so if I did the "evil", self-interested thing, she would run right and last me till I couldn't ride her no more......BUT, there's also the "right" thing to do, which is of course, preservation/restoration. Though its not about nostalgia, in the last ten years I've come to have a LOT of respect for folks who bring old stuff back to life AND do it "correct". Maybe just "flip it" to someone who really wants to do it right...I don't know. I'm a bit broke now, and it is riding season...so I guess I'll just mess around with cleaning things up, and keep it inside till I figure out what to do.

...and how about that funky faring, a Meyers Daytona....never heard of that brand....whacky.. but cool...it kind of grows on ya, no?

Here's some pics from about an hour ago..."Trailer fresh". (and one of the "finished for now" 82.) I'm gonna go check the air in the tires and take my "new" girl out for a spin.
Happy Motoring, Dave
PS; Do I get to be in the NGW "LTD club" now?
Attachments
5-13 002.jpg
5-13 002.jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 743 times
5-13 003.jpg
5-13 003.jpg (130.65 KiB) Viewed 743 times
5-13 006.jpg
5-13 006.jpg (72.7 KiB) Viewed 743 times
5-13 008.jpg
5-13 008.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 743 times
4_5-13 068.jpg
4_5-13 068.jpg (71.26 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Bite me
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: L ook whaT i founD...and bought!

Post by tomk1960 »

Given the rarity of the model and the fact that it's running, I would not part it out. That would be a sin in my opinion, but I don't own the bike so it's your call. If it were mine, I'd take off the fairing and bags and clean it up the best I could. The Hondaline backrest is a nice accessory, so if you have a wife or girlfriend who likes to ride, just leave it on. The little luggage thing on the shelter cover is not my cup of tea, but unless you're going to repaint everything to look stock, it will have to stay if mountingholes were drilled.

I'd say that you scored a very nice bike. Ride and enjoy it.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by rogue1000 »

Great score!!!! If I were to vote, I would say just ride it. I have the same rack and backrest. I drilled a few holes in the backrest tube so I slide it out, pin it, and lean against it on the longer rides; works great for lower back support.
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Nice find! My vote (as always) is to bring it back to it's original condition.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
VintageGW's
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by VintageGW's »

Or, you could sell if for a quick profit? Have trailer, will travel. :o)
Wayne
1976 GL1000 LTD #5117 "Bag Lady" is in Al’s (Dogboy) very capable hands!
Smilin'Ryan
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Smilin'Ryan »

That fairing is terrific! I would have bought the whole thing one week ago.
1980 GL 1100 Interstate, repairs ongoing
2004 DR200 Town Bike... so bulletproof I loan it to other people
1992 GSXR 750 streetfighter, jetting tribulations
1983 CM 250 early cafe/race replica project
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

Very nice score. Keep it original. Keep it clean and ride it!

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by guitardave »

Thanks for the comments. Just put 20 or so miles on her...looks like one seeping fork seal, rear brake dragging a bit at first , right turn don't blink. Carbs were a little hinkey at first but was idling good after the ride. No high beam. The windshield is WAY too high and homemade out of lexan or something...its flexible and starts waving at you at about 65 or 70mph. Exhaust needs gaskets at muffler/header joint. Baffles need screws...one was trying to escape when i got back. Needs a clutch and throttle cables. Has a Dyna ignition, but the wiring is flopping around in the wind...it looks like an explosion at the spaghetti factory inside the fairing ...but overall, not bad.

BTW, its LTD #5961

Placerville; somehow I was not surprised at your suggestion :P

VintageGW's; ...make me an offer " I no canna refuse"..... seriously, PM me with a number, and I'll think about it..

Smilin'Ryan; If I keep her, the fairing and bags will be for sale...keep you eyes on the "for sale" section.

tomk1960 and rogue1000; the back rest and rack is an Amco (?) and it has wing nut set screws and telescopes forward, pretty cool but it will probably go if I strip and restore her.

Tom said " That would be a sin in my opinion" and I agree, but I am a sinner! :twisted:...unrepentant too!

Dog Boy; I'm just not "financially secure" enough to afford 3 bikes....and Quasi ( my favorite) ain't "right" yet either ....and I don't have the room...(and if I did have room and money I'd get a Suzuki DL 1000 dual sport and go raise hell and get lost in the woods)...but after reading many threads here ...I really don't think I could part it out and not end up feeling like a money grubbing heel. I will keep it original and clean..but it will most likely get sold sooner or later so I can put the funds to getting good wheels and maybe some Webbers for Quasi.
btw...that little pic under your name...is really disturbing :P ..it looks, from a Darwinian standpoint, like something REALLY wrong had to happen to make that critter! lolol
Bite me
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

guitardave, the avatar is a "Roady" creation. Signed on one night and there it was!

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
Lefty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Lefty »

Guitardave when you find an old Martin guitar do you whip out the sander? I hope not. To me and perhaps it is because I am closer to 70 than 60 there is nothing cooler than an old un-restored but refurbished stock machine whether it is a combine or a 36 Dodge pick up like one I had or a a 76 LTD.

I do get what many here have done and I like the results but were tat mine I would do thr least aesthetically and the most mechanically that I could. Perhaps that is just me an old coot. I've had all the pretty shiney things I want in life. Authenticity and patina does it for me.
Been riding Hondas since 1964.
Current bikes:
1985 GL1200i work in progress.
2002 CB750 Nighthawk
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Gonna watch for that faring!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Whatever you do with it, you're a lucky man.
guitardave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by guitardave »

OK guys...I'll come clean. That comment about parting it out was an idea, for about 10 seconds. The passion you all show for nice correct old bikes is admirable and worthy of much respect. I guess its that instigator in me that made me write that parting out bit...I knew it would get ya all fired up a bit :P Being a newb here and not really knowing you guys, its probably a bit out of line to screw with ya all. I know I find it rather irritating, if your hangin' with a group of long time friends and someone who don't really know you barges in and starts bustin' balls....so for that I apologize. After a closer inspection, there's NO way I could bust up this bike....so don't worry, it's in good hands. I would rather take the harder road and fix her up and sell it and then use the funds to find what I need for Quasi.

Anyway...got up this morn and the back tire was flat..ugh!...what a PITA, but I'm glad it didn't happen yesterday when I was riding it...that would have REALLY sucked...but it does make playing musical chairs in my blivet shop a strain.(see pics)

So the plan is this...ditch the fairing and bags...make it mechanically perfect...and clean, clean, clean. Any part that is rusted or corroded will get proper paint and polish....stuff that looks decent will get cleaned and preserved. The motor definitely needs yanked and paint/polish. Fork legs need striped and polish. The wheels and spokes are really nice, and I think some well blended touch-ups will take care of the frame. I definitely need to invest in one of those nice OEM type electrical connector kits and get that mess correct. When I get all that done, I may try to find a good touch-up guy for the body work, which shouldn't be to hard as I live in a town with the biggest car auction in the east and more recon guys than you can count.

Then it will most likely be sold or auctioned. If things go according to plan (HA!) it should be ready to go by next spring.

Lefty; ya really know how to place your punches! :) ....and yes that would be sacrilege...But though your analogy is excellent, heres how I see it. Form follows function. The function of a guitar is to make sweet sounds. The finish on an old instrument has a direct relation to its tone qualities. Taking a sander to it, first and foremost (in my mind anyway) would ruin its sound ...and that would be the big sin...ruining its main function. Though I'm only :lol: 52, I am on a fast track to "old cootville", and I'm with you when you said "there is nothing cooler than an old un-restored but refurbished stock machine".....A-Men brother!

Roady; thanks....luck...fate..who knows? It was definitely fortuitous! The connection came from a friend of a friend who was building a guitar and wanted to see my inlay work...he was also a big time gear head...and liked my work on Quasi. I have to thank and credit him for thinking of me when he found out his neighbor was selling his LTD. Thank you Chad! anim-cheers1 I'm not sure who mentioned it ( Randakk maybe?) but there is some kind of musician/ Wing lover connection going on that needs more research. And BTW, Excellent Photoshop work on DB's avatar....I cringe every time i look at it!

sunnbobb; It WILL be sold....but shipping that monster to the west coast...$$$$..its almost a half foot wider than my 82 factory fairing! I really don't know how rare or desirable it is, so I need to do a little research on that..but I will sell it and the bags for a fair or best offer price. Make me an offer...as it will be coming off soon and I don't have enough room in the "good junk" shed for it.

I do want to thank all you folks who made and maintain and contribute this site...it is most EXCELLENT. It has helped me tremendously in the last couple years, so thank you VERY much. When I get some of that luck in the $ dept I'll show my appreciation in a more meaningful way.

I was also wondering, what day would be best to meet and hang out with some of you guys at the NGW east rally? I ain't geared up for camping and such but its only about a 3 hour ride away from here, and I'm thinking it would be a nice ride, and break from the grind....and get to add some "reality" to all this screen-name/avatar stuff.

Thanks, Dave
Attachments
5-13 021.jpg
5-13 021.jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 595 times
5-13 022.jpg
5-13 022.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Bite me
VintageGW's
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by VintageGW's »

PM sent...
Wayne
1976 GL1000 LTD #5117 "Bag Lady" is in Al’s (Dogboy) very capable hands!
Lefty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Lefty »

Guitar Dave I know there is a strong correlation between what you do well and the goals one has regarding restoration. There are so many highly skilled members here at NGW and they take great pride in doing complete restorations and or custom work. My thing about refurb also has to do with my limited knowledge and skills.

I went to a Vincent rally here in SW CO last year. One stock refurbished but with origional paint and etc. was listed for sale at $240,000. Now there were some beautiful 10 point restored bikes that may sell for more. ( I do not know if the bike that was for sale did sell.)

There is a Vincent resto guy nearby in Dolores CO and Colorado Norton Works in Cortez that does nothing else. I work (occaisionally) at Basin Motorcycle Works in Mancos CO where we service and restore BMWs. A well restored /2 sells for $25,000 more or less. I've owned three BMWs, two BSAs, one Harley and maybe six or seven or eight Hondas. If I could do a frame up resto on an Ltd I might depending on the condition when I got it.

Go for it Brother it is your bike to do with whatever makes you proud.
Been riding Hondas since 1964.
Current bikes:
1985 GL1200i work in progress.
2002 CB750 Nighthawk