Mr.H's new engine

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Mr.H's new engine

Post by ericheath »

Very nice. How’s the Danmoto for daytime lighting?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

It is very good. They recommend connecting the backlight to the headlight circuit so that it isn't on in daytime (apparently turning a bike's headlight off in daytime is still allowed in some places); When I installed one on the 650 a couple of years earlier I left the connection to the backlight accessible at first to see if I would need to turn it off in daytime or dim it at night (its pretty bright) but after driving with it for a while I decided neither was necessary so when I installed the one on the 'Wing I didn't consider dimming it.
The only problems I've had with either of them are:
1) The one on the 650 is at just the right angle so that at certain times of the year when the sun was over my shoulder at just the right angle on my drive to or from work it reflected off of the chrome edge and shone into my eyes. Before I installed the one on the 'Wing I masked it off and sprayed the edge with stainless steel epoxy enamel appliance paint to prevent that but I don't think it is at the angle where that would be an issue anyway.
2) The tach jumped all over on the one on the 'Wing when first installed. I Contacted Danmoto support and installed a resistor in series with the wire from the ignition and it is nice & steady now.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

1st Update:
I bled the rear brake but it is running so well I don't think I can make myself balance the carbs before I leave for Labrador on Monday (unfortunately, in my friend's truck hauling a big trailer). I've only driven it 60 Km so far and I doubt if I'll reach 100 before we leave; I was planning to run it a 2 or 3 hundred Km and change the oil & filter and coolant but the oil on the dipstick still looks clean & clear so if it doesn't become dark and I it doesn't look like I'll get a lot of mileage on it this year I might leave it until spring and then run engine flush and cooling system flush in it first.

And speaking of oil, I got around to spraying the creeping rust preventative oil (RustCheck red) into the lugs on the frame that I spent so much time clearing out the drain holes in and while I was crawling around down there I noticed oil on the bottoms of the brand new rocker cover seals so I tightened the bolts just a bit more and wiped it off and hopefully that will fix it. It isn't leaking much because the toes of my boots are dry and the oil level was still above the sight glass (barely). And it is still smoking a bit on startup so I drained out half a litre to bring the level to just above the middle of the sight glass (& the new mark I made on the dipstick) to see if that makes any difference.

The first time I took it out I noticed that the fan came on and didn't shut off until I turned the key off (you notice this more when there's a light to tell you when the fan is on) but it was hot so I didn't think much about it. But it has done the same every time since. Turns out that my eBay bargain Suzuki fan switch works OK but it is an 85 degree switch instead of a 95 degree one like the original. I am allergic to propylene glycol (burns me like acid) and a sensitivity to its close cousin ethylene glycol, which means I should avoid contact with anti freeze as much as possible so unless having the fan on most of the time becomes a problem I'll leave it alone until I drain the coolant to change it.

I wonder why Suzuki turns their fans on (this switch is recommended for a lot of models) 10 degrees cooler than Honda does?
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Those temps must be that Celsius stuff people keep talking about, lol. Glad everything seems to be working for you!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yep. Its much easier to remember that zero is freezing and 100 is boiling. The money has been metric for a long time too...

Besides that's what the engineers who designed these bikes and the techs who wrote the manuals used and I'd rather use the original number instead of the converted value.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

America went metric in 1966! I remember clearly. My fourth grade teacher said all of America is going fully metric in two years. Yous guys must be older than me.

My 96 Ram has to be the absolute “most diverse” vehicle in the world for metric and SAE fasteners! Drives me nuts.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yep. The history of the metric system in America goes back to Jefferson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metricati ... ted_States but when America appeared to be heading into full metrication the Canadian government decided we needed to keep up with the US so we converted.

Whenever people try to tell me how much better the Imperial system (which you Yanks insist on using a distorted version of) is I always say that when I count on my fingers I like to use my thumbs too :orange
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Yeah, but that makes things so nice and neat... I'm just now getting to the point where I can look at a metric nut or bolt and guess the size. Most of the time, lol!

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

When I was a teenager working on bicycles I quickly realized that I liked metric wrenches much better because I didn't have to do fractions in my head. Inch sized wrenches would be sooo much easier to use if all the sizes were in 16ths....
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

I suck at math, but was always a whiz at converting fractions because I understood it from measuring stuff...

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I'm too lazy to use inches when I don't have to :orange

2nd report:
Went for another halfway decent ride today, to pick up a few things for the garden and for the (still delayed) Labrador trip, approx. 60 Km round trip and it ran perfectly. My biggest complaint is that it when I parked and re-started 6 times within about a Km it needed to crank for a few seconds the 5th time, which I blamed on the fan running (none of the stops were very long). The 6th start I realized the headlight was on too (the Start button in the Enfield switches only has 1 set of contacts). D'Oh! With the headlight off it started well enough even with the fan running tumb2

Anyway, it is now 138Km since I fired it up and since I drained out some oil (still above the halfway mark) I haven't seen any smoke. I have smelled a bit of burning oil occasionally but I'm sure that's from the RustCheck dripping on the headers.

The clutch squeals occasionally. This has been happening for a few years with the old engine, during which time I eliminated the damper plate, replaced the clutch cable, replaced friction plates and changed from Rotella T 15W40 to Castrol 4 stroke 10W40. This is a completely different engine with a completely different clutch (the plates are not even the same size) so the only things in common are the clutch lever assembly and the nut that holds the handlebars. If I knew what was causing this I'd change whatever I'm doing wrong.

When I designed the speaker/wiring box there was no room for the keyswitch on the front panel so mounted it on the right side near the front where I could see it sticking out an inch. After a while I decided that didn't look right so I added a spacer to bring it flush with the side of the box, which looked better but made it harder to get the key in when I was on the bike. The aluminum trim I added around the box looks really nice but it makes it very difficult to get the key in because I can't even see the mounting screws for the keyswitch. I have started contemplating moving it to somewhere I can see from on the seat but I haven't figured it out yet.

Oh, and did I mention that the new speakers sound a lot better?
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

3rd report: The Labrador trip was delayed so I reached 200 Km before we left. A few days before I left I realized that oil was dripping from the oil filter cover. The bolt was tight so maybe I had dislocated the o-ring and pinched it somehow. Well, it wasn't that bad so I thought maybe I'd leave it for a couple of weeks after I got back but when I finally took it out again last Friday after sitting for 3 weeks the oil was fairly pouring out around the filter cover so instead of going for a ride I headed back home immediately to change the oil right away.

I've never seen this before: I use non-original oil filters from eBay that come with o-rings. When I installed one in the new engine before installing it in the bike the o-ring it protruded from the groove as it should in order to seal properly but when I removed the ring it was significantly smaller and much stiffer and it was obvious that it could not possibly seal properly. I compared the o-ring that came with the second filter with a Honda one and it was already stiffer and smaller so I installed the new filter with the Honda o-ring (I replaced the o-ring on the bolt with one I liked better too) and after a short ride yesterday there are no drips so that had to be the problem.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Thanks for all your information and photographs.

Very nice job you did.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Congrats on BOTM!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Appreciate all the detail in the write up and congratulations on BOTM.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig