Mr.H's new engine

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

CYBORG

Re: Mr.H's new engine

Post by CYBORG »

I thought the rod bearings looked pretty good. In the picture at least. Seems like I have some rods around, Not sure what engine, I'm thinking 1200's but I might have some 1100 Rods. Gord is going to be here tomorrow. We are going to the Central rally in Ark. but If I have one , big if,I can send it back with him. Save shipping, VAT, etc. No charge from me. I'll let you know, if your interested.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

You are probably right and it likely ran well enough if in a good state of tune. I guessed at head gasket integrity because of the extreme force on the chamber. It has probably been running a while from the normal-ish looks of the piston crown.What did you use to press the wrist pin out. The FSM is pretty specific on that since there are no clips to retain it
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I drilled a hole just larger than the pin in a piece of wood and used that to support the piston while I drove the pin out with a big brass drift and a hammer. Without a press that seemed like the best way to do it.

Doug: PM sent.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

gltriker wrote:Oh boy! That's a stark visual reminder for folks that don't/won't turn off the fuel tank valve when their engine is shut off.

Will you give us a side profile view of that bent connecting rod, and the adjacent not bent connecting rod, too?
Checked a couple of owner's manuals including for the FI '85 and '86 models. For the carb models it is recommended to shut off the fuel whenever the bike is parked.

For the '85 and '86 FI models the fuel valve is left on except for extended periods of no use and when servicing the fuel system. No fuel will flow to through the pump when the bike is not operating.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

This is an '82..... But 35 years is a long time even if it was in storage for the last 10...
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Sidecar Bob wrote:I drilled a hole just larger than the pin in a piece of wood and used that to support the piston while I drove the pin out with a big brass drift and a hammer. Without a press that seemed like the best way to do it.

Doug: PM sent.
Respectfully offered advice.
Now, measure the piston to determine if it became distorted during the interference fit, connecting rod/piston pin disassembling process.

"My buddy that grew up in the shop of his father's VW dealership" may know of an engine repair business that will professionally press the hopefully still serviceable piston, piston pin and replacement connecting rod back into an assembly for re-installing into your engine.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Everything except that rod looks good to me so I ordered the oil seals & dowel pins today.

Last edited by Sidecar Bob on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

You could remove, clean, inspect and then plastigage the mains and remaining rods to verify clearance and evenness across the surface. Looks pretty clean and not a ton of droop in the primary chain. looks like a good start
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Or I could work on cleaning the mating surfaces, lapping the valves and installing the '77 cams in the '82 heads and finish some of the household jobs that are half done....

I understand the principle of Plastigauge but I have never used it. I will need to get some for determining which bearing I need with the replacement rod, though, won't I? Where do you even get something like that? Auto parts stores?
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Most auto parts stores will have plasti-gauge. But you'll want to talk to one of the "older" guys. Some at the store may not know what it is. There are 3 different "sizes" you can get too. But, look at the markings on the rod and the crank throw. Then look in the manual and it will give you the code for the bearing you need.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

OK. I'm in the shop now and about to quit for the night. That part of the manual will be my bedtime reading :orange
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Use of plastigage is less common today. consider where it comes from as it does seem to have a shelf life and I had some that was likely 10 years old that crumbled more that squished and was unreliable. It is not hard to use but requires clean dry surfaces and that the items do not move while torquing. It is a great final check. As was stated the size bearings you will need comes from a chart in the FSM with block to crank identifiers and rod to crank identifiers.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Update: I have been too busy with other projects for the last week to do anything on the engine except order & pick up parts but I think I have everything I need (oil seals, dowel pins, gasket set, belts, driveshaft boot &c) except the rod, which I have bought on eBay and should be here in about a week.

None of the auto parts places in the towns close to me could get me Plastigauge but I was able to order some from NAPA in Lindsay (where I had to go for the belts anyway). I had no idea how much I would need and the pic on Napa's site only shows a single strip so for $ 3.39 each I ordered 2. When I picked it up the guy handed me 4 boxes (2x belt, 2x Plastigauge) and when I got home looked inside the boxes I was surprised to find that each one contains 12 strips!!

The parts guy at the Honda dealer said I need to use Three Bond (which he was out of) when I put the cases back together. I was planning on using Permatex Form-A-Gasket #1 that I already have on hand. What do you guys think?
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Honda-bond, Yama-bond, Kaw-bond. All the same thing. Or, go to your auto parts store and get some Permatex Motoseal. Part number 29132. It is a grey tube. Don't use anything else besides one of those products.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Back to cleaning mating surfaces tonight and while working on the transmission cover I noticed that the rubber for the neutral switch wire sits about 2mm below flush with the mating surface when it is pushed all the way into its notch in the edge of the cover. The old gasket has no sign of being squashed at that point but that can't be right because any dirt/water that gets past the lip on the top of the front cover would fall into the crankcase.

Is there supposed to be a filler piece that goes between the rubber and the gasket that I can't see on the parts drawing or has the rubber shrunk?

You know, the more I think about that lip on top of the transmission cover the less I like it. It makes the front of the engine look tidier but I have always thought it was just a place for dirt to collect. And if the rubber shrinks like this crap could be getting into the engine for years and you would never notice unless you took the cover off.....