Mr.H's new engine

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Mr.H's new engine

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Thanks very much.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Great to see Mr. H as bike of the month. Congratulations.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Well Done! tumb2
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Sidecar Bob wrote:3rd report: The Labrador trip was delayed so I reached 200 Km before we left. A few days before I left I realized that oil was dripping from the oil filter cover. The bolt was tight so maybe I had dislocated the o-ring and pinched it somehow. Well, it wasn't that bad so I thought maybe I'd leave it for a couple of weeks after I got back but when I finally took it out again last Friday after sitting for 3 weeks the oil was fairly pouring out around the filter cover so instead of going for a ride I headed back home immediately to change the oil right away.

I've never seen this before: I use non-original oil filters from eBay that come with o-rings. When I installed one in the new engine before installing it in the bike the o-ring it protruded from the groove as it should in order to seal properly but when I removed the ring it was significantly smaller and much stiffer and it was obvious that it could not possibly seal properly. I compared the o-ring that came with the second filter with a Honda one and it was already stiffer and smaller so I installed the new filter with the Honda o-ring (I replaced the o-ring on the bolt with one I liked better too) and after a short ride yesterday there are no drips so that had to be the problem.
Had the same issue with some oil filters from the local NAPA parts store. The cartridge filter was the same but the O-ring was significantly smaller. Had to use some spares I had. Will be going back to ordering from my original supplier.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

When I was buying them from the Honda dealer I figured the rings only needed to be replaced every 2 or 3 years so I have a few of them on hand that I can use with filters that have either no rings or rings that are not suitable. When they run out in a few years I'll look for some red silicone ones on eBay.

I can buy filers on eBay for about 1/3 of what Honda dealers charge and now that I'm retired and not driving every day I'm only putting a few thousand Km on it per year so it is hard to justify paying the higher price.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Congratulations on BOTM!

action1 anim-cheers1 dancr party2
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

Congratulations on born to you and Honda san!
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

Nice job on the engine. I like the color and how it balances with the blue stripes on the false tank and side covers. I'm getting ready to get started on splitting the cases for my 1100. The cylinders are pretty rust. I may wind up needing new cases. BTW- what windshield are you running? I like the look.
"If everything is under control you are not going fast enough" - Mairo Andretti

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I originally had a SlipStreamer windshield made for some variety of Harley that I bought NOS at Cycle Salvage when I first put Mr.H together in '97 (the one that's blue on the bottom). I didn't like it after I added the sidecar so I started looking for something slightly larger and in 2013 I found a "used" (never installed) Memphis Shades Alley Cat on eBay for a reasonable price that I figured I could make work with the SlipStreamer hardware. At the same time I replaced the headlight shell & ears, handlebar switches and instrument panel and added the speaker box.IIRC, all I had to do to make the new windshield fit the old hardware was open up the upper mounting holes a bit.
brewer013
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by brewer013 »

Looks good and congrats on BOTM.

I was looking into doing the same engine swap myself. I have an 83 Interstate that was abused by the PO. The number 3 piston contacted the intake valve. The water pump is seized so I assume the head overheated and the valve seized on the open position. Anyway, I have a 79 parts bike with a twisted frame but a good engine. Your first post on this thread says you did the same swap but had trouble with hills and the sidecar etc. Would you recommend the swap for someone not running a sidecar. Thanks
1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (café project, started Oct 2018)
1978 Honda CB400T Hawk II (son's project)
1980 Honda CB750C Café
1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200 stock dresser
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yes. The combination of 1000 engine and 1100 final drive resulted in overall gearing more than a gear higher than stock, which was wonderful on 2 wheels. I live in a rural area so most of my driving is on 80 Km/h roads in high gear where the lower RPM resulted in substantially better the mileage. The only negatives were that I always had to gear down to pass cars, to drive through towns with 50 Km/h speed limits and occasionally on a long steep hill. And that it didn't pull away quite as fast (still faster than most cars) but if you aren't drag racing that isn't a problem. Oh, and the 1100's wiring doesn't short the ballast resistor when starting so it will have to crank just a bit longer to start it (unless you change to GL1500 coils without the ballast).

The 1000 engine bolted into the 1100 frame and connected to the 1100 driveshaft with no modification. All I had to do was figure out how to mount a couple of generic automotive condensers in place of the 1100's spark units and how to connect the points ignition into the 1100's harness.
brewer013
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by brewer013 »

Sidecar Bob wrote:Yes. The combination of 1000 engine and 1100 final drive resulted in overall gearing more than a gear higher than stock, which was wonderful on 2 wheels. I live in a rural area so most of my driving is on 80 Km/h roads in high gear where the lower RPM resulted in substantially better the mileage. The only negatives were that I always had to gear down to pass cars, to drive through towns with 50 Km/h speed limits and occasionally on a long steep hill. And that it didn't pull away quite as fast (still faster than most cars) but if you aren't drag racing that isn't a problem. Oh, and the 1100's wiring doesn't short the ballast resistor when starting so it will have to crank just a bit longer to start it (unless you change to GL1500 coils without the ballast).

The 1000 engine bolted into the 1100 frame and connected to the 1100 driveshaft with no modification. All I had to do was figure out how to mount a couple of generic automotive condensers in place of the 1100's spark units and how to connect the points ignition into the 1100's harness.
Thanks for the response. I hadn't taken the differences in ignition into account. This is all down the road anyway as I'm just barely starting my 75 build. Thanks again.
1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (café project, started Oct 2018)
1978 Honda CB400T Hawk II (son's project)
1980 Honda CB750C Café
1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200 stock dresser
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Since I've linked to just about every thread about Mr.H in this one I'll continue to do that so that everything can be found easily if nobody objects.
U1 battery for GL1100/sidecar
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

This year's first project Another unique 3D printed part for Mr.H

And I forgot to add this one last year Cheap eBay find to nice running lights
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Now that I have the Mr.H: How a motorcycle evolves over time thread all future updates, modification reports &c will be added in that thread instead of here.