Welding in a new center stand bracket

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Jeff73sc
Tin Member
Tin Member

Welding in a new center stand bracket

Post by Jeff73sc »

While I was cleaning the frame last weekend I discovered a large crack in the frame tube that holds the center stand bracket. Luckily I have an '81 frame that has a large dent but a good center stand. Cut out the cracked piece with a reciprocating saw. Then cut out the donor frame section a little large and ground it down with a 4 1/2 " grinding wheel till it fit with just about a 1/16th inch gap to fill. Welded it with a MIG welder using Ar/Co2 gas. Ground my welds out with a couple of die grinders with burrs, sanding disks, and finished it off with a medium scotch brite. After I clean it up with degreaser, I'm gonna use some Krylon semi gloss black. to blend in.
Attachments
DSCN0696.JPG
DSCN0696.JPG (176.19 KiB) Viewed 151 times
DSCN0697.JPG
DSCN0697.JPG (154.97 KiB) Viewed 151 times
DSCN0698.JPG
DSCN0698.JPG (167.85 KiB) Viewed 151 times
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Welding in a new center stand bracket

Post by desertrefugee »

That's nice work. Was it due to rust? Seems that cross brace frequently suffers from the orange fungus. The rest of the frame looks really clean, so I doubt it, but just mentioning it.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Wow. Looks good.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

desertrefugee wrote:That's nice work. Was it due to rust? Seems that cross brace frequently suffers from the orange fungus. The rest of the frame looks really clean, so I doubt it, but just mentioning it.
I have an '82 that rusted out in the same area, but the rest of the frame looks great. Significant rust also appeared around the swingarm mounts when probed. They can rust from the inside out and be hardly noticeable until they go. Just saying...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Jeff73sc
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Jeff73sc »

Definitely caused by rust. Big thick flakes of rust came out of the center stand tube. The sub frame on the 1980 also had significant rust with several holes eaten through. The former owner is probably lucky that the motor blew up on the bike before the frame broke. Going to have to use the sub frame from the 1981 donor frame as the other sub frame looks to be too far gone to repair. Looks like both areas are prone to rust on the 1100.