cookies'Ltd

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

cookies'Ltd

Post by rcmatt007 »

Many of our long time members will remember a good friend we had on the board, "cookie". https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 28&t=33547

After he passed away, his wife wanted to make sure his wings went to people who would appreciate them. Steve Tarkett and I were able to purchase his two Ltds. Steve brought them back to Colorado and I drove up to pick up "cookies Ltd". Here we are with Paul on his Ltd.
ltd-pick up.JPG
ltd-pick up.JPG (150.79 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Heading back to Oklahoma:
ltd-Oklahoma.JPG
ltd-Oklahoma.JPG (115.38 KiB) Viewed 851 times
I drove it around Lawton and discovered the bike had real power.... very different than my '78
ltd-reservea.jpg
ltd-reservea.jpg (164.35 KiB) Viewed 851 times
In 2012, I took it out to the eastern run, and then on my way to a job interview in Pa, LOUD banging and by the side of the road:
u-joint.jpg
u-joint.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Replaced the drive shaft in my daughters apartment garage, then back to Oklahoma. Seemed in never idled right, and sometime later trying to start it the left side flooded out! I took out the carbs and using Randakks video rebuilt them.... it was amazing it ran at all as the floats were so out wack!

Now that I have finished redwoods 1200.... time to work on the Ltd.... but as long as the carbs are out, might as well do it right!
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Re: cookies'Ltd

Post by rcmatt007 »

Okay, the carb rebuild was 2 and a half years ago.... not that I was bored (a move, a 1200, a job being abruptly ended and another move).....
ltd-bored.jpg
ltd-bored.jpg (64.14 KiB) Viewed 846 times
So now to begin.... taking them apart is the easy part
ltd-coming apart.jpg
ltd-coming apart.jpg (89.56 KiB) Viewed 846 times
engine is out (or maybe better to say the frame is taken off)
ltd-engine out.jpg
ltd-engine out.jpg (96.62 KiB) Viewed 846 times
looking at this without the carbs was the main reason to take it all down.... it certainly can look better than this!
ltd-engine.jpg
ltd-engine.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 846 times
There are moments you realize a total strip down was a good idea.... take a look at this!
ltd-frame bottom.jpg
ltd-frame bottom.jpg (108.89 KiB) Viewed 846 times
ltd-frame bottom 2.jpg
ltd-frame bottom 2.jpg (83 KiB) Viewed 846 times
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Wow. Cookie's bike. Good stuff, Roger.

action1
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

looks like someone had tried to repair the bottom some time in the past. I think this may be something I will take to someone with better welding skills than me

was quite a shock as I started this thread, but cookie passed away 6 years ago
-Rodger-
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

this thread is a great example of something I've always read about but never experienced..the brotherhood of bikers.
I know what it's like from a military and law enforcement aspect but from riding is something new to me.
Every time I meet a biker and wave it's reassuring to know if I was broke down..they would stop.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I joined this forum soon after Cookie had passed. There was still a fair amount of chatter on him going on - after six months. For me, never even having exchanged cyber comments with him, I find it amazing that this guy left such an impression on folks. So, I went back and (for the second time) scanned a bunch of his input on here. I think I have a pretty good sense of how those impressions came about. Even though he's no longer with us, the humanity of the man is still there in those "cyber" words he left behind.

Some guy. (Wonder if he knew about that frame rust?)
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

It's great to see this project taking off. I'm sure Cookie knew you'd take food care of his LTD, and that he's keeping a watchful eye, and sending you good vibes!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Graham Cracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Graham Cracker »

action1 :popcornx2
Mark

1975 GL 1000 Candy Antares Red
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow
1977 GL 1000 Pearl White
1978 GL 1000 Candy Limited Maroon
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Love the LTDs maybe will have one someday. Regarding the disassembly, it is usually just about the point you are at when the panic attack starts. This is where a great many less hearty (or maybe smarter) souls give up and set it aside for another day-- that never comes.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

rcmatt007 wrote:looks like someone had tried to repair the bottom some time in the past. I think this may be something I will take to someone with better welding skills than me

was quite a shock as I started this thread, but cookie passed away 6 years ago
Is it really that long? :shock: Amazing how the time flies in. Cookie was one of the best. :orange

Rodger, the only answer to that rot in the frame is to cut it out and weld in new tubes. In that last picture, notice how the main frame tube is cracking too.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I didn't want to hear that.... I will look closer at the main part of the frame, as pictures don't always catch everything
-Rodger-
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

on my 79 project I took the removal frame part and de-rusted it then tapped off the drain holes and filled it with red-kote which I then allowed to drain out. I will set the rusty part of the frame into a pan with de-ruster to really see how much damage is there, It is obvious from the pictures there is a previous repair
-Rodger-
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I wonder if it might be easier to just cut out the whole section and replace it from another frame. Done right, it wouldn't be noticeable, and stronger than a patch on a patch, IMhO.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

well, what I have done.... the right side welded up nicely... the left was thin and the weld just made holes.... so I took a piece of stock steel... and welded it over the area. Other thought is to take it to a welding ship, have them weld a new steel tub and weld onto it the enter stand bracket

20170805_170012[1].jpg
20170805_170012[1].jpg (78.7 KiB) Viewed 678 times
20170805_170024[1].jpg
20170805_170024[1].jpg (92.05 KiB) Viewed 678 times
20170805_170029[1].jpg
20170805_170029[1].jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 678 times
-Rodger-

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”