PADDYWACKER YOGA

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: PADDYWACKER YOGA

Post by raiddrten »

As far as the JIS screwdriver stuff goes, I have been grinding my own by modifying a hardened Phillips head bit. I grind a little off the tip and then chuck it in a battery drill and spin it at a varying angle to create a rounded over point. The flutes may be a bit thinner, but it does the job. I just buy the little tips for the impact driver and regrind a Craftsman hand held screwdriver for carb work

I also use a product by CRC industries called Freeze-Off and spray a bit of product on each screw once or twice a day for a week [but usually start testing them a bit after three days. Even on that nasty [front] transmission cover, they all came off but one in four days , and the last one in five days.

I quit using the hand struck tools to get screws loose. You can press against the heads much tighter with a little battery powered impact and give it a couple of short bursts of power . That way, the chance of tearing the head or breaking the screw is almost nill. If it does not come out right away, i just repeat the Freeze-Off and wait another day. The trouble with the battery impacts is that there seems to be an arms race on them and the new offerings have twice the power of what was out there a few years ago.

There is a discussion about JIS tips here http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15547 and also here http://www.dansmc.com/jis_screw.htm that suggests cheaper alternatives to the high end stuff that is out there, but expensive.

Not trying to be an authority here, but this is what works for me
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

robin1731 wrote:What is the oil for? Not to put in a motorcycle engine with a wet clutch I hope.

Thanks for the response. Questions will generate questions, so I will be careful on my part whence these will originate, but, when I first checked the engine oil I removed the refill cap and did not see any at all. I stuck my finger (fifth one) down the hole as far as I could and it came up dry. I was worried that possibly the FTH (former title holder) had run it almost dry. In my mind I was thinking to possibly put a small amount of engine oil into the motor until a level could be ascertained. That way if I got the engine started, I could warm it up enough to change out the oil, filter et. al. Thinking back on what desertfefugee pointed to as leakage around the back clutch gasket and bottom bolt, i. e. wet clutch design, that may figure well now, but I had not thought of it...okay, so it is not a dry clutch, and the oil helps lubricate (I suppose) the clutch plates from the sump, mixing particles, etc....But I still don't recognize the harm in adding. I would think it would be a worser nightmare if the engine was already bone dry or near to it...Can you see my point and explain right from wrong to me? It would help immensely. Thanks Robin. I have read enough topics to know your depth of knowledge and am humbled...
Sundance... :flamer
type1 https://www.facebook.com/One.Ton.Ron action1
1984 KZ1000 P dresser, SOLD. anim-cheers1
"Imagination is a prerequisite for knowledge.
The artifact is needed to comprehend." :arrow: Sundance. :flamer :flamer
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

You won't feel the oil from the fill hole if it is at the proper level. Look down on the RH side of the engine for a window. That is where you check the level. And while you "May" not hurt it adding some regular oil why take the chance. Oil designed for a motorcycle/wet clutch or some Rotella diesel oil is the way to go.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

ericheath wrote:You’ll want to invest in some JIS screwdrivers. Every factory bolt uses them. They look like Phillips, but they are different and probably the reason they are chewed up so badly on most.
I noticed in the second pic at the top, your dogbone fuse is nonexistent. Most put a 30 amp blade fuse in there, or a breaker.
Since your condenser is still wired up, you probably have points.
I thought I had a better picture but I find only one other one to reference this with ericheath. I am sort of unversed in the actual build process with the 'how and why' of electrical packages...though I have a basic knowledge of electricity. So, the familiarity of terms are not only new but as well, the purpose of each connection. I added a new photo showing a side view. When I saw it, I could tell something was redone or missing....one red wire connects to a rectangular block that has a couple of metal sleeves within it. Nothing in them and the whole fitting is a bit loose...not the red wire. That is firmly fixed. It will be interesting to proceed within this section (with my utter caution, a hint) to see what happens, and why...I will try to do a bit of research before I ask the numerous questions already poised in my mind, such as...Dogbone??....30 amp where?...or a breaker w/o or with?...etc....Feel free to enlighten me at your own ease though I may be fraught with confusion. I can only learn, and it comes from the best teachers all around...Thanks
....Sundance. :flamer
Attachments
Area of interest, side view.
Area of interest, side view.
CIMG4633.JPG (225.39 KiB) Viewed 185 times
....off to the right--->
....off to the right--->
CIMG4632.JPG (220.2 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

robin1731 wrote:You won't feel the oil from the fill hole if it is at the proper level. Look down on the RH side of the engine for a window. That is where you check the level. And while you "May" not hurt it adding some regular oil why take the chance. Oil designed for a motorcycle/wet clutch or some Rotella diesel oil is the way to go.

Robin, I had been scratching my head from the beginning when you or Track T made a comment about the PITA posture for checking the oil, and said the aftermarket dipstick I refer to as a paddywacker was a solution....scratch,scratch...all I can envision is loosening that thing and having it dump oil asap. So I looked for a window and found none....I shall add a couple of photos, certain you know how to use that magic pen, if you would be interested in pointing the windiw out...I have (emphasis added) been on my hands and knees (literally) looking for it. The oval recess area behind the brake pedal has a screw in it. Thanks.
...Sundance :flamer
Attachments
CIMG4549.JPG
CIMG4549.JPG (226.88 KiB) Viewed 184 times
CIMG4550.JPG
CIMG4550.JPG (232.76 KiB) Viewed 184 times
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

desertrefugee wrote:Good to see you're getting some cooperative weather - especially since you're working in it! We're here for you. Hundreds of years' Goldwing experience at your beck and call. (Of course, some of us were later to the GL party...)
Actually desertrefugee, it is a yes and no with the weather. First let me humbly acknowledge that I had much more luck receiving 'the cream of the crop' as to the responses here for Paddywacker Yoga. When I was thinking of the title for the topic, my mind drifted back to my younger years when I kept hearing the slight...Rice Burner...and was miffed at it. So....I guess those with the actual know how and love for these machines somehow took it to heart to give it a once over, and see what I was up to...very humbled. I have spent very much time 'observing' some smart men in their own garages from my neighborhood as a youth that wrenched consistently on Saturdays and/or Sundays, but I never had the actual foundation for personal touch..."doesn't that thing go there...and didn't you leave that out...and that goes the other way around..." is what I knew....Maybe it is easier to witness than prove, IDK....but I have saved a few bikes from a second tear down...ah, the joy of reminiscing!
:flamer ....Sundance.... :flamer Now if I could just get the weather to cooperate with the sun and moon, and with my sleep schedule (which isn't one). lolol
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

raiddrten wrote:As far as the JIS screwdriver stuff goes....

There is a discussion about JIS tips here http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15547 and also here http://www.dansmc.com/jis_screw.htm that suggests cheaper alternatives to the high end stuff that is out there, but expensive.
Raiddrten, a lot of good information here. After spraying lubricant and waiting a bit, I found a soft paper towel piece over the tip sometimes snugs up the screw, plus removes excess lubricant from the 'faces' of contact. Thanks for the tip (no pun intended).
Sundance... :flamer
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

Oil check window--a little video that actually shows the oil moving behind the window https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKBnTMMzRL0
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

raiddrten wrote:Oil check window--a little video that actually shows the oil moving behind the window https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKBnTMMzRL0
Well, if you look closely at my picture two posts up, that little window has been filled in with a tin plate and small screw. I had thought it should be there, but was hesitant to explore further...what if I remove the screw and drop the plate...window or void?
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

What about the paddywacker? Can you get the top nut unsrewed? This is a dipstick for the oil which replaces the sight glass.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

They were sold as a kit. This is similar to yours.
file.jpg
file.jpg (5.95 KiB) Viewed 170 times
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Sundance wrote:
raiddrten wrote:Oil check window--a little video that actually shows the oil moving behind the window https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKBnTMMzRL0
Well, if you look closely at my picture two posts up, that little window has been filled in with a tin plate and small screw. I had thought it should be there, but was hesitant to explore further...what if I remove the screw and drop the plate...window or void?

No, that "small screw" is for a wiper inside the window. What you are looking at is the place to check the level. Sometimes after 40 years they are pretty dark from use. Also, after engine has sat for some time the oil level is high enough to completely cover that window. So it looks like it's empty but not. Then too you have to check it with the bike on the center stand. Do it on the side stand and there is no oil in the window. So people think the oil is low and add way to much.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

I gotta go with Robin on the oil issue. I don't know exactly how long the Paddy has been sitting, but I looked at the PO's License plate and knew that mine had been for years. Also, i had no idea what oil the PO had in the bike before I got it. The only thing i really knew is the bike looked garage kept for all its life and that the kick starter would move the engine.

The compression numbers had to be horrible at first, and my biggest regret is that I did not hook up the gauge right away. However, the thumb over the cylinder holes showed quite a difference. Early compression testing showed 25PSI difference, but now they are all the same

Anyway, old oil gets acidic just from a bike sitting around and drawing condensation, so I drained mine and added Rotella

Maybe if you decide to drain and change your oil, the detergents in the fresh oil will let the wiper clean off the oil sight gauge. It only takes 3.5 to 3.7 quarts, depending on who you ask.
Sundance
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Sundance »

confused22 I have not gone too far with the oil window though I did try a flat-head screwdriver. Of course it didn't pop-off (luckily). I went out and proved my battery wouldn't hold a charge, Monday afternoon, and then without my glasses I used a flashlight and a multi-tip to check the window. Well, I fumbled there for ten minutes or more until I finally gave up on the knee excursion, knowing I could walk 200 yards and retrieve glasses and proper instrument for closer inspection. That is in a most inhospitable place for fingers! I can get one in (barely) and maybe wipe the outside to clean it, but I honestly was believing it to be a full metal plate put there by the factory for protection...is that possible? The item would have to be marketed, for it is too perfect a fit to be homemade, I would think (though judging from some members' abilities here I should retract that last statement). Robin? Anyway Liam up above cleared my head on the paddywacker issue. I had no idea the tube was hollow, though I should have guessed...my fault. I was hoping to circulate what was in the motor before draining it out and changing the oil and filter to save on cost. I have a battery to purchase in the near future, and don't like dipping too frequently into the kitty, when that is at all possible. It is on its centerstand for multiple reasons; working ease, cylinder heads and oil collection, etc. :flamer
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Sundance wrote:snip................. I was hoping to circulate what was in the motor before draining it out and changing the oil and filter to save on cost.
Who knows what might be in there after setting for so long. While many will say to do what you are talking about to get the oil warm and drain easier, I have a hard time doing that. I'll drain it. Put in fresh oil and filter, then start it. Then after that is warm drain it. After long periods of "rest" that may have been outside, in a barn, whatever, you just have no idea what could be in the crankcase. There may not even be any oil in it. I've run across some that had very little oil. Better to be sure than sorry later. Oil is cheaper than possible engine damage.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”