Stripping an 83 Aspencade

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Stripping an 83 Aspencade

Post by Jonesz »

I have gotten the bug and wish to strip down a goldwing. I presently own an 83 aspencade which is in quite good condition. My main ride is a 99 Valkyrie CT so don't have to rely on this bike during the build to enjoy the "hopefully coming warm weather" I have been advised by friends to sell the 83 and look for an easier bike to convert such as any Wing prior to the 83 aspencade. I see the reasons but am also thinking that the bike I have has no known mechanical issues, runs good, exhaust system VG etc.and I might have a problem securing a bike of the same quality. Have done all kinds of searches but cannot find any info on stripping an 83 Aspencade. I can see several problems such as removal of the digital set-up for tach/speedo, switching for the compressor etc. Have access to speedo/tach from an 82 aspencade and wonder if they can be swapped over. Also wondering if anyone on this forum has had actual experience srtripping an 83 or knowledge pertaining to same and can offer any advice., Thanx for any help you can give.
Jonesz
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Stripping an 83 Aspencade

Post by Hukmut »

You need a speedo drive from an earlier wing and a mechanical fuel pump with the tach drive. Bolt on stuff. Oh, and, of course, the speedo and tach.

Gotta love a Valkyrie, BTW

Ride safe, y'all.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

IIRC, the '83 also has a slightly different setup for the neutral light/overdrive indicator, which you will have to figure out. If you are going to lose the air ride compressor, you can just swap out the manual fill lines from an earlier model, as well.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Thanx Hakmut and Track certainly things to consider. Don't know what all is available still but a friend has an 82 aspencade parts bike, probably still has the manual air fill lines anyway as his stripped bike is an 82 standard. Anybody else care to offer suggestions?
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Just go for it! These are sweet bikes to ride.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.

Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Have dibs on a speedometer/tach (with idiot lights etc.) setup from an 82 aspencade along with the tach drive fuel pump set-up from the previously mentioned friends parts bike. Wondering about the need for the speedo drive from an earlier wing as the one on the 83 appears capable of accepting the cable once the digital adapter is removed. Also in checking parts #'s it appears that the 83 standard/interstate and aspencade all have the same parts # for the speedo drive? I assume the standard 83 had the older style tach/speedo setup. Anyway so far it looks like I am going to try make a standard out of my aspy. Probably ditch the compressor and go with manual fill setup
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

It will fit. And actually work! I am all about swapping parts from one year or another. IMHO, after you remove as much weight as you can, the air ride might not be necessary. I put spring spacers in my '81 gl1100 front forks and have no air ride assist. I also went with swap meet rear shocks that lowered the bike maybe an inch. They might have been HD takeoffs. Looked brand new. Some shocks might need to be narrowed at the mounting points. Grinder action needed.
Just keep going! You can do this!

Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Good to hear HukMut. Assume you are referring to the speedo drive currently on the 83. Currently shopping for parts as I forgot about rear turn signals, which go away with my bags, front turn signals, headlight bucket, ears & so on. Will try post some pics as I proceed.
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

There is no real problem working with the 83 plus they have the nicest wheels! A lot depends on how close to a stock configuration you intend to keep the bike (i.e. a "Standard" model or your own version of custom). If custom, then you will be using a lot of aftermarket pieces anyway so trading parts from an earlier model may not be necessary.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Hello Easter the plan is to make this one as much like a stock Standard as possible for the time being. Hoping to not have to add many aftermarket pieces and would replace even those when they were tracked down. I already know the ears and headlight bucket are like hens teeth. Maybe take it a step further in another incarnation but likely buy something like a 79 Gl1000 to do a more customized look. Had a brand new 79 back in the day and they have a sentimental attachment.
So far have got the fairing off the 83 (yesterday) and really like the look so far. couldn't believe how heavy the fairing etc was. Now contemplating all the wires that were hidden behind "the 3 lb weight" and how to go about removing the digital instrument cluster so as to not damage anything that is needed.
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Pics of progress Feb 21/18
P1020433.JPG
P1020433.JPG (169.09 KiB) Viewed 897 times
P1020434.JPG
P1020434.JPG (148.96 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

Jonesz wrote:Hello Easter the plan is to make this one as much like a stock Standard as possible for the time being. Hoping to not have to add many aftermarket pieces and would replace even those when they were tracked down. I already know the ears and headlight bucket are like hens teeth. Maybe take it a step further in another incarnation but likely buy something like a 79 Gl1000 to do a more customized look. Had a brand new 79 back in the day and they have a sentimental attachment.
So far have got the fairing off the 83 (yesterday) and really like the look so far. couldn't believe how heavy the fairing etc was. Now contemplating all the wires that were hidden behind "the 3 lb weight" and how to go about removing the digital instrument cluster so as to not damage anything that is needed.
That ball of wires can look pretty intimidating, but it's not that bad once you start digging into it...I built a completely custom headlight and turn signals on my '82, so I had to deal with the same thing. I ended up cutting out the "umbilical" that goes to the fairing, and shortening everything up...it ends up being a fairly compact ball when you're done. Agree with Easter...the '83 wheels are really nice ;).
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

toolbox wrote:
Jonesz wrote:Hello Easter the plan is to make this one as much like a stock Standard as possible for the time being. Hoping to not have to add many aftermarket pieces and would replace even those when they were tracked down. I already know the ears and headlight bucket are like hens teeth. Maybe take it a step further in another incarnation but likely buy something like a 79 Gl1000 to do a more customized look. Had a brand new 79 back in the day and they have a sentimental attachment.
That ball of wires can look pretty intimidating, but it's not that bad once you start digging into it...I built a completely custom headlight and turn signals on my '82, so I had to deal with the same thing. I ended up cutting out the "umbilical" that goes to the fairing, and shortening everything up...it ends up being a fairly compact ball when you're done. Agree with Easter...the '83 wheels are really nice ;).
If you're going with all stock headlight and directionals, as well as stock non-Aspy gauges, you don't have to cut any wires. The fairing wiring and gauges are sub- harnesses that all plug into the main harness, which is shared by all models. It can be time consuming, but trace and mark each plug and wire, and it will be a lot easier in the long run. Been there, done that, lol! My 2 cents...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Thanx Toolbox and Track T. No progress today but tomorrow my mechanic guru is coming back and we will start into the wiring harness. Talked about it today and were interrupted by an old geezer biker friend. It was more fun listening to him than getting things done. Will try to be more vigilant tomorrow!
Jonesz
Jonesz

1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

You really need to purchase a shop manual. It will have the wiring diagrams and it will also answer your questions as well as show you where things are "supposed" to go.
I have 2 copies of the Clymer, M340. Service, repair, maintenance. Covers GL1000, GL1100. The older manual has color wiring diagrams, but I think that those diagrams can be downloaded from the forum. Some might suggest a different manual. This forum will be a great source of info. If you can't find the answer to your questions in the archives, just ask.