Gl1000 Cafe/tracker Project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

flowernp1
Lead Member
Lead Member

Gl1000 Cafe/tracker Project

Post by flowernp1 »

Hi All, Its been just over a month since i picked up my 2 gl1000's and in that time i have been collecting parts for the project.
They are both USA imports, the blue is a 75 and the black one is a 77.
Parts i have collected so far are GSXR 750 forks / brakes & yoke with stem. I'm going for a clean looking cafe / tracker vibe. So i want to do a USD fork swap, update rear suspension and change the rims.
flowernp1
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: Gl1000 Cafe/tracker Project

Post by flowernp1 »

My image links didn't work! I'll try again.
Image Image Image

Ive also purchased the triumph speed triple seat.

This is the kind of look i'm going for. Please excuse my bodged job on photoshop.

The first hurdle i'm facing is front end related. I think i know what i have to do but i don't think i can justify the cost of it at the moment. So as i said i have the Forks, Yokes & Brakes. I want to maintain the wire spoked wheels so i had planned on getting a wider 17inch rim and lacing it to a new hub that would work with the GSXR setup so i could keep the modern brakes with the retro look of wired wheels. Unfortunately the only solution i can find is going down the cognitomoto route which because i live in the UK is why i'm ruling it out. The customs and VAT charges nearly double the cost of the part.

This is the part i was considering. https://cognitomoto.com/products/2000-2 ... 4927313473

Does anyone know of a Uk or Europe based manufacture who does a similar product? Or is there another solution to purchasing a brand spanking new custom hub like and existing part (from another manufacture/bike) i can use with min engineering as i have no access to engineering tools.

I'm also going to find a wider rear rim to lace in to the rear hub, i'm aware i will have to edit the swing arm for clearance on the shaft side. I'm aiming for a 150 or 160 rear tire using a 4.0 - 4.25 17inch rim. Im guessing grinding the weld off isn't going to give me the clearance i want and i will need to get someone to notch the part for me for enough clearance.

If anyone has any advise on this feel free to chip in. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks
Nick