My very first 1977 Honda GL1000 =D

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: My very first 1977 Honda GL1000 =D

Post by Track T 2411 »

Yep, that tube should be straight. As Robin said, probably transported on the center stand. At least the new bike fixes your title issue.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

desertrefugee wrote:Hmm. Although this red one appears to be a way better starting point, you're getting so far so fast on this one, I can't help but be a little disappointed. However, the "locked" motor may not be so bad. If one looking like your current bike was advertised with a locked motor, I'd maybe suspect some moisture intrusion that could be freed up with solvent to make a runner. Since this one looks pretty nice, I'd think that's less likely, but you could get lucky. Either way, as you noted, an engine swap makes what you've been doing look easy...

...plus, it's got the nice automotive spin on oil filter adapter.
I will for sure try to get the engine in the bike to turn over before taking it out haha. It maybe a super easy fix.

You have sharp eyes there! I didn't even see the oil filter conversion. That is very cool and knocks an item off my shopping list.

I will still be moving forward with full steam on my first bike as well. My plan is to try to get the red bike going with as minimal effort as possible. I have a sneaking suspicion that the carburetors being worked on 500 miles before an engine seized means someone didn't set float height correctly, which ran the poor thing lean and hot. Also has some odd looking exhaust pipes which may have made it even leaner if it had stock jetting... but this is all speculation fringing on science fiction of course haha.

My plan is to have 2 running GL1000s. I'm most excited to have another one at such a better starting point, especially since I will feel less rushed and can really take my time on certain parts of my build. I can spruce up the engine cosmetically and even pop the heads off and de-carbon / port + polish etc if I get the red wing running with its stock motor.

One of my closest friend's father owns a classic car repair shop with all the fun toys we need to gently bend the center stand part of the frame back a pinch and then strengthen it up with a few gussets. I plan on measuring where the stand is supposed to be on a known good frame and etching a line across each side of my frame to see exactly how much we have altered the angle. My friend says he has done this many times before with a torch and welder and seems very confident that we can get it where it needs to be, so that should be happening in the near future.
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

ericheath wrote:Oh, and congratulations on MBS.
The needle is in and I must have more classic Japanese motorcycles. All of them. :twisted:
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

Track T 2411 wrote:Yep, that tube should be straight. As Robin said, probably transported on the center stand. At least the new bike fixes your title issue.
Absolutely. That is a major bonus. Talk about possible instant gratification!
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

ANNDDDDDD we are back in action!

The frame repair was a full success. We were able to bring the tube up and twist it back. We decided to hold off on welding in gussets until I mach it all up with the brake pedal and other surrounding parts that might interfere. I'd hate to weld in a piece that i'd have to regretfully cut out later, repaint etc.

For now the rear wheel is off the ground as it should be. I will be continuing on per usual after assessing the condition of the 2nd Goldwing engine this weekend.

I also included a picture of myself since I'm pretty sure I haven't as of yet. It will be the first picture. There is also a few pictures of my buddy Ryan who did the welding and owns the white corvette and my buddy Tanner who owns the truck and Honda sumo 600.

Enjoy :)

TorontoGL
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by TorontoGL »

is that a 1984 passport?
Honda gave Wings

1976 GL1000 LTD X 2
1979 GL1000 Blue
1969 CB350
1966 CB450
1963 CB77
1974 CB550K
1975 CB550F
1977 CB400F
2009 Road King

and few more hondas
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

TorontoGL wrote:is that a 1984 passport?
Very close! It is a 1983 C70 Passport with 6k original miles. My friend who is a wood worker is having me tune it up and repair it.

Wiring is hacked up, battery is dead, shift shaft splines are torn up, solenoid is dead, indicator lights don't work, headlight is shot etc, BUT it starts and runs like a champ.
TorontoGL
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by TorontoGL »

that is a lot of work for an old lady :)

I have been following your thread, great job you are doing.
I have a red 77 ( in addition to blue 75, ltd76, black 78, black 79)
actively looking for a stock 77 seat and 76 or ltd carbs.
cheers,
Honda gave Wings

1976 GL1000 LTD X 2
1979 GL1000 Blue
1969 CB350
1966 CB450
1963 CB77
1974 CB550K
1975 CB550F
1977 CB400F
2009 Road King

and few more hondas
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

TorontoGL wrote:that is a lot of work for an old lady :)

I have been following your thread, great job you are doing.
I have a red 77 ( in addition to blue 75, ltd76, black 78, black 79)
actively looking for a stock 77 seat and 76 or ltd carbs.
cheers,
I have a set of 1976 carbs I might be willing to let go as well as a seat frame with garbage covering on it, and possibly the stock seat, though I will probably keep that for my project. It will be a little while until I am sure I no longer need them, but I have you in mind. Feel free to bug me when you see my project wrapping up.
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PLEASE READ BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION.

At this point I have decided to shift all my energy and time to my second 1977 GL1000 and will be postponing any further progress on my first GL1000 until further notice. With only 1 good engine and 1 good title and 1 good set of panels I cannot justify the cost on my limited budget to invest in both projects. Once I have 100% finished my second GL1000 I will pick up where I left off on the first.

BELOW IS A LINK TO THE NEW PROJECT WHICH WILL BE USING VARIOUS PARTS FROM THIS BUILD
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65407
TorontoGL
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by TorontoGL »

aaronrecine wrote:
TorontoGL wrote:that is a lot of work for an old lady :)

I have a set of 1976 carbs I might be willing to let go as well as a seat frame with garbage covering on it, and possibly the stock seat, though I will probably keep that for my project. It will be a little while until I am sure I no longer need them, but I have you in mind. Feel free to bug me when you see my project wrapping up.
Thanks, I will be waiting to hear from you, no rush
Cheers and all the best for 77
Honda gave Wings

1976 GL1000 LTD X 2
1979 GL1000 Blue
1969 CB350
1966 CB450
1963 CB77
1974 CB550K
1975 CB550F
1977 CB400F
2009 Road King

and few more hondas
aaronrecine
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by aaronrecine »

Hello again everyone! It has been a long time since I've posted and I will fully admit I sold off all my Goldwings and am no longer perusing these or any 2 wheeled projects. To the admin: If this post goes against the community guidelines please take it down and my apologies.

For those who enjoyed seeing my posts and work I'd like to share my youtube channel where I am currently restoring a 1973 Grumman Olson Step Van into my tiny home and mobile recording studio. The Grumman Olson has Chevy 292 with a Muncie SM465. Much like the Goldwing my van has weird quirks and charms and I feel a lot of people who enjoy the content posted here would enjoy the Grumman as well.

My youtube channel is youtube.com/aaronrecine

I hope everyone is well and am very glad to see this site as well as Randakk's shop are still up and running.
https://youtu.be/W2SnWk6yowM[/youtube]