1983 GL1100 Standard Bill of sale date 7/5/18

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: 1983 GL1100 Standard Bill of sale date 7/5/18

Post by sparkyrasmus »

NotSoLilCrippseys wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:41 pm This project is really nice looking. Paint looks great! Interesting engine guards that maybe buy you a little more room for the feet, especially with your floorboards. Do I spy a possible left fork seal leak starting, or perhaps just dirt/dust getting pushed up?
The crash bars were laying around from the 79 or the 78, the 1200 set did not fit well.

Hopefully the fork seals aren't leaking again. I may have nicked one when replacing them. Or maybe the tube is over filled.

The carb rack comes off again. I have a hanging idle, where it is slow to return from 2k to idle. I found some slight leaks at the carb boots, but tightening the seal clamps and eliminating them did not solve the hanging issue. I am suspecting dirt in the idle air control circuits that is allowing a lean run condition at low throttle. Next time I do a set of carbs, I am getting some of those vacuum caps to cover all inlets and outlets.

I do have a set of 78 carbs that are in good shape, but I wonder about putting older carbs of a newer bike, I have found info about replacing GL1000 carbs with GL1100s, but not the other way around. But hey, they're just sitting there all cleaned. Hmm. Anybody got any ideas?

The workspace is cleaned up and the lift is out of the way , so time to roll her in and get to work.
Goldwings don't accelerate, they gain inertia.

1978 GL1000 - almost stock - needs a head replaced, parts are ready to install!
1979 GL1000 - Winter project/parts bike - custom "Busted"
1983 GL1100 Standard- raised from the dead and back to organ donor status :cry:
And the newest acquisition, 1979 XS 650F to be a sidecar tug. crossy.gif
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 1983 GL1100 Standard Bill of sale date 7/5/18

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I'm running '79 carbs on an '82 engine in my '83 if that helps.
But it also has '77 cams....
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....