82 Gl1100 Cafe Racer, Dual Weber idf 40's.

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

brewer013
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: 82 Gl1100 Cafe Racer, Dual Weber idf 40's.

Post by brewer013 »

Boxer4 wrote:I was thinking if I went with the stacks of going with 4 or 6 inch and using microphone foam covers as filters.i think I'm going to use the air filters that Randakk's used though.
I did something similar on my 80 CB750 when I had stacks before I found the right pods and on the first real throttle pull leaving my neighborhood, 2 of them were ingested so be carful. I also didn't have any screens in the velocity stacks.
1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (café project, started Oct 2018)
1978 Honda CB400T Hawk II (son's project)
1980 Honda CB750C Café
1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200 stock dresser
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

You can get stack filters...would hate to suck one of those microphone covers in during a WOT pull.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

brewer013 wrote:
Boxer4 wrote:I was thinking if I went with the stacks of going with 4 or 6 inch and using microphone foam covers as filters.i think I'm going to use the air filters that Randakk's used though.
I did something similar on my 80 CB750 when I had stacks before I found the right pods and on the first real throttle pull leaving my neighborhood, 2 of them were ingested so be carful. I also didn't have any screens in the velocity stacks.
I’ve pretty well decided on the aircleaner like one used on the Randakk site. I thought of using a screen if I did the microphone filter, good to know that that doesn’t cut it. Thanks!
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

wingrider wrote:You can get stack filters...would hate to suck one of those microphone covers in during a WOT pull.
Thanks, I’ve decided to use an air filter. I might try the stack just open for few miles to see what they are like but I don’t like the idea of vacuuming the environment into my motor.
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Boxer4 wrote:
CrazyJerry wrote:Those look outstanding on that bike!! action1
Following this!
-
~CrazyJerry~
Thanks!!! I appreciate the comment. I loved the look the first time I saw it. I believe it was on Randall Washington’s GL1000 before he put in the Supercharger. Can’t wait for next spring now. Hopefully I have any bugs out by then.
All of the sudden Spring seems a loooong time away! I'll be interested in anything you share along the way with your dual Weber setup. I've read as much as possible from others but still very interested. I am considering the same (or similar) setup down the road. It is a visually appealing setup to say the least!! :flamer
~CrazyJerry~
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

One of our Canadian brethren did a very nice job on his 1100. My memory is terrible but Ascot should know who I mean.

Randakk's recommendations on jets and such is pretty close. Different exhausts will mean different jetting. My 1000 wanted to be a lot richer than Randall's recommendation.

So the 1000 with a pretty free exhaust wanted: F11 tubes, 28mm chokes, 52 idle jets, 110 main jets, and 135 air correctors (it was really lean on the top end on the dyno).

If you are going to run velocity stacks without full air cleaners, there are 5 holes in the carb tops that need to be dealt with. Let us know here and I'll post the photos of my fix for that. I can post pictures of the linkage as well.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

gregforesi wrote:One of our Canadian brethren did a very nice job on his 1100. My memory is terrible but Ascot should know who I mean.....Snip....
That member would be Millwright....
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

gregforesi wrote:One of our Canadian brethren did a very nice job on his 1100. My memory is terrible but Ascot should know who I mean.

Randakk's recommendations on jets and such is pretty close. Different exhausts will mean different jetting. My 1000 wanted to be a lot richer than Randall's recommendation.

So the 1000 with a pretty free exhaust wanted: F11 tubes, 28mm chokes, 52 idle jets, 110 main jets, and 135 air correctors (it was really lean on the top end on the dyno).

If you are going to run velocity stacks without full air cleaners, there are 5 holes in the carb tops that need to be dealt with. Let us know here and I'll post the photos of my fix for that. I can post pictures of the linkage as well.
Thanks for the tips!!! Your bike is awesome sir. I see that you are running taller velocity stacks with a filter on top. I really like that look but was concerned whether it would provide adequate filtration. I will either go with a setup just like yours or with the filter setup like Randakk’s had on his website with the domed filters. I am waiting on some things from Randakk, so I’m working on a linkage setup. I’m fabracating a system similar to The Sync Link setup used on VW’s. Thanks for your response, it’s been very helpful!
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

wingrider wrote:
gregforesi wrote:One of our Canadian brethren did a very nice job on his 1100. My memory is terrible but Ascot should know who I mean.....Snip....
That member would be Millwright....
Thanks!! I just read his Pop’s Bike thread. I will email Millwright, it looks like he hasn’t been active on the board since Nov of 2017. He did an amazing job on his build!
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

He’s still around .... try his e mail ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

If those carbs are new they need to be taken apart and given a good cleaning. There will be some left over machining debris inside. Also look for casting flash in the venturis and clean any up with an exacto knife.

Re: the tall stacks...
In the Haynes Weber manual there was a statement that tall velocity stacks made better torque and the shorter stacks made better horses. With the relatively small bore and stroke of the wing engines, it probably doesn't make much difference. I liked the look of the tall ones better.
I believe that all the stacks like yours and mine are made to fit the IDF 44. As a result, the ID of the bottom of the stack doesn't match up to the ID of the top of the carb top. There is a 2mm step there. I assembled the stacks to the tops and scribed lines around the ID of the stacks, then opened up the carb tops with a die grinder so the inside diameters matched up and eliminated the step. The ID of the bottom of the carb tops stays the same so the result is an increased angle between the top opening and the bottom opening of the carb top. I hope that makes sense.

If you are going to run v-stacks without a full air filter the carb holes need to be dealt with.
Here are the holes in the carb tops (first photo is from the top).
The green circle is the float bowl vent. The bottom of the aluminum block is shaped to fit into the hole and cross drilled at an angle so garbage can't get in.
The yellow circles are the vent holes for the idle circuit and they must be open and filtered.
The orange ellipse shows the idle enrichment vent holes on either side of the screw hole. These need to be plugged. I used JB Weld to fill them in.
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG (117.79 KiB) Viewed 448 times
This photo is from the bottom. You can see the aluminum block JB Welded into the float vent.
In the red circles you can make out the pieces of filter foam that I cut to fit the odd shaped area for the idle vents. The filter foam goes between the carb top and the gasket.
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG (81.2 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Here is the aluminum block (3/8 x 5/8 x 1 1/8) with the hole angle pattern in green. The hole from the bottom goes straight up and the hole from the side angles up to meet it.
IMG_1302.jpg
IMG_1302.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 448 times
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

gregforesi wrote:If those carbs are new they need to be taken apart and given a good cleaning. There will be some left over machining debris inside. Also look for casting flash in the venturis and clean any up with an exacto knife.

Re: the tall stacks...
In the Haynes Weber manual there was a statement that tall velocity stacks made better torque and the shorter stacks made better horses. With the relatively small bore and stroke of the wing engines, it probably doesn't make much difference. I liked the look of the tall ones better.
I believe that all the stacks like yours and mine are made to fit the IDF 44. As a result, the ID of the bottom of the stack doesn't match up to the ID of the top of the carb top. There is a 2mm step there. I assembled the stacks to the tops and scribed lines around the ID of the stacks, then opened up the carb tops with a die grinder so the inside diameters matched up and eliminated the step. The ID of the bottom of the carb tops stays the same so the result is an increased angle between the top opening and the bottom opening of the carb top. I hope that makes sense.

If you are going to run v-stacks without a full air filter the carb holes need to be dealt with.
Here are the holes in the carb tops (first photo is from the top).
The green circle is the float bowl vent. The bottom of the aluminum block is shaped to fit into the hole and cross drilled at an angle so garbage can't get in.
The yellow circles are the vent holes for the idle circuit and they must be open and filtered.
The orange ellipse shows the idle enrichment vent holes on either side of the screw hole. These need to be plugged. I used JB Weld to fill them in.

IMG_1300.JPG

This photo is from the bottom. You can see the aluminum block JB Welded into the float vent.
In the red circles you can make out the pieces of filter foam that I cut to fit the odd shaped area for the idle vents. The filter foam goes between the carb top and the gasket.

IMG_1304.JPG

Here is the aluminum block (3/8 x 5/8 x 1 1/8) with the hole angle pattern in green. The hole from the bottom goes straight up and the hole from the side angles up to meet it.

IMG_1302.jpg
Thanks for taking the time to share that. I really appreciate it!!!
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
Wolfie666
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Wolfie666 »

You have a nice looking bike!
-Just a couple rambling comments here...
I also used dual Weber's but on a 1200. On the 1200 the ports don't match so I machined some adapters.
Randakk's recommended jetting wasn't right for me, so I installed a wide-band O2 sensor and that helped get
me on the right track pretty easy. The first bike I did, I sectioned and narrowed the tank cover for the air
cleaners, but the bike I'm doing now... I'm going with WEBER IDF DELLORTO DRLA RAM FLOW AIR FILTER... Just enough room with the tank.
Don't take life seriously,
You will never get out alive!
Boxer4
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Boxer4 »

Wolfie666 wrote:You have a nice looking bike!
-Just a couple rambling comments here...
I also used dual Weber's but on a 1200. On the 1200 the ports don't match so I machined some adapters.
Randakk's recommended jetting wasn't right for me, so I installed a wide-band O2 sensor and that helped get
me on the right track pretty easy. The first bike I did, I sectioned and narrowed the tank cover for the air
cleaners, but the bike I'm doing now... I'm going with WEBER IDF DELLORTO DRLA RAM FLOW AIR FILTER... Just enough room with the tank.
I have decided on these from Pierce Manifolds. I believe they won't interfere with the tank shelter. Presently fabricating linkage similar to the Sync Link system used on dual carb VW's.
Attachments
20181116_074518.jpg
20181116_074518.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 396 times
20181115_193245.jpg
20181115_193245.jpg (87.82 KiB) Viewed 396 times
All things motorcycle.
82 Gl 1100 Café Racer
01 Harley Road King
Wolfie666
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Wolfie666 »

I have decided on these from Pierce Manifolds.
Yeah, the same air filters I just bought... but I paid $89 including shipping for them.
I like your cable setup. I also used cable but slightly different approach..
20170306_180625.jpg
20170306_180625.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Don't take life seriously,
You will never get out alive!