spoked wheels

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: spoked wheels

Post by Oldboy »

Nope, Call these guys, Buchanan's Spoke & Rim, Inc. 805 W. Eighth Street Azusa, California 91702. Tell them which hub you are using and which rim
and they will make the spoke you need...in either stainless or chrome. Few weeks later their at your door.
Ted
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

Oh, if you don't want to lace & true them yourself, send your hub & rims to them....
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
Hayden
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Hayden »

Oldboy wrote:To be clear, the front & rear hubs are standard issue 1975 gl1000, only the rims are HD 16" x 3". Using custom spokes from Buchanan you just lace them up. These are however mounted on a 82' 1100.
Hi Oldboy, quite the coincidence this thread popped up! I'm in the process of converting my 82 GL1100 to a spoked rear to suit my spoked Hayabusa front end. I, too, have a 75-77 GL1000 rear wheel, however I'm encountering clearance issues with the GL1100 final drive and the GL1000 hub. I've already machined the OD of the GL1000 final drive flange to suit the GL1100, however it looks like I'll also need to machine the ID of the GL1000 hub itself - does this sound right to you?

If not, any chance you could explain how you achieved the fit-up?

EDIT: Closer inspection of your photo, and google...looks like you've used the GL1000 final drive. Did you go straight to this, or attempt the GL1100 final drive first?
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

I did this a different way. Most guys use the 1000 swing arm & final drive unit. There's a thread here to tell you how. When I started I noticed
the 1000 hub would spline up to the 1100 final drive, but the wheel was no where near the centreline of the bike. I then took a 1000 final drive and put it on the 1100 swing arm and the hub was now in the centre of the bike. The only problem was the 1000 final drive is an inch longer so the axle had no where to bolt up to on the left side. I then took the left side of the 1000 swing arm and graphed it to the left side of the 1100 swing arm. Doing this I just simply used all 1000 rear brake parts. If you look at the picture you can tell my rear shocks are on a steeper angle then a stock 1100. My wheel base is also longer. The 1000 final drive has a 3.40 ratio which helped...because this bike is my blaster.
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Hott also adapted a 1000 final drive to an 1100's swing arm on his last build. IIRC, he lengthened the left side of the 1100's arm. There are fairly detailed pics of his process in the build thread here... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63616
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Hayden
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Hayden »

Thanks guys!

Funnily enough it would seem I've found myself retracing the exact same process HOTT has detailed in his post.

Looks like a GL1000 final drive will be on the cards. I was planning on notching the rear swingarm for a wider rim anyway, so no huge issue needing to further modify it for the GL1000 final drive.

Are there any differences between the 75-77 and 78-79 final drives?