My 82 GL1100 Project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

dogman
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: My 82 GL1100 Project

Post by dogman »

Well a quick update. I have my carbs back from Rob. Thanks again Rob another great asset on this forum among the many! I also received my motogadget M-unit. It is smaller than I was expecting. Sorry I don't have a picture yet. It is about 3.5"x2"x1. Thought I might install it where the old fuse box was but it is supposed to be a minimum of 4" away from the coils so thats a no-go. I just about have the old wire harness completely removed. Here is a question. The couple of places that I will use electrical connections should I stay with Oem style or go with new waterproof connectors? Revival got back to me on my wiring question about power to the coils which I know was asked and answered in a different thread however they used a different solution which I will cover later. I was thinking about trying to use the original light switches and such but it is not a direct usage so modifications would need to be made so for the sake of simplicity I will use the motogadget buttons. I'll post more pictures this weekend.
dogman
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by dogman »

One last comment. While I was stripping the bike down I noticed this problem. An ear that holds part of the ? Shroud down behind the radiator was broken off. I did so looking around and found this product called hts-2000. It is like aluminium soldering or brazing I have no experience in that area. However they do have some interesting youtube videos using the product to repair various aluminium items. Take a look at some of the videos and see what you think.
20190301_104930.jpg
20190301_104930.jpg (155.45 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Ouch... that's actually a front engine mount. Not the end of the world, though there isn't a really good fix unless you have the missing piece and know someone who can weld aluminium. More than one member here has one broken off, and had no problems. As for the HTS2000, there's a thread here somewhere about it, our a similar product. Expensive, and takes LOTS of practice too even come close to replicating those videos.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

A lot of bikes running around without either of those front mounts connected to anything. I wouldn't loose sleep over it not being there. YMMV

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

None of my bikes have them. Never been a problem. Just saying lolol
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
dogman
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by dogman »

Yes I do have the missing part but its good to hear that from you guys!
dogman
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by dogman »

I'm looking for some advice. I'm in the middle of rewiring my bike and at the coil being this is an 82 I have a ballast resistor wired into the coils circuit. Lots of discussion out there about the whole resistor topic. So since I am rewiring the bike I am wondering if I should replace the Ballast ( i haven't tested it yet) or just install new terminals in the ends of the wires and continue to use the Resistor ( if it tests ok). Thanks for your thoughts and wisdom! planning on keeping the stock coils at least for now. They are the BW82-TRI ones btw.
20190405_010105.jpg
20190405_010105.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 329 times
dogman
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by dogman »

Well upon further inspection of the ballast resistor part of the insulation on the resistor wiring is gone. So much for using that resistor. As far as i know it is 37 years old. I did read that some folks that used a neon coil were not using a ballast resistor any more. I'd be interested in hearing about how that is working out for them.
dogman
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by dogman »

well after looking at sgwilly's write up about how he used a 96 neon coil I will follow that path. From what I have read the resistor is there to limit emi noise. So I am going with the neon coil and I will try to source another resistor just to be safe. Its warming up now so I'm sure a lot of guys will be making progress on their bikes as well. Looking forward to all their posts!
GW Hobo
Chrome Member
Chrome Member
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... it=GW+Hobo

Post by GW Hobo »

dogman wrote:Well a quick update. I have my carbs back from Rob. Thanks again Rob another great asset on this forum among the many! I also received my motogadget M-unit. It is smaller than I was expecting. Sorry I don't have a picture yet. It is about 3.5"x2"x1. Thought I might install it where the old fuse box was but it is supposed to be a minimum of 4" away from the coils so thats a no-go. I just about have the old wire harness completely removed. Here is a question. The couple of places that I will use electrical connections should I stay with Oem style or go with new waterproof connectors? Revival got back to me on my wiring question about power to the coils which I know was asked and answered in a different thread however they used a different solution which I will cover later. I was thinking about trying to use the original light switches and such but it is not a direct usage so modifications would need to be made so for the sake of simplicity I will use the motogadget buttons. I'll post more pictures this weekend.
Dogman, for what it's worth, I used new waterproof, heatshrink, soldered connections instead of the OEM style. I agree going with the motogadget buttons is the way to go with all their options for single button use (ignition on/off, hi/lo beam, turn signal auto cancellation based on distance or time, your choice, etc). Where did you decide to put the m-unit? Are you keeping the old handelbars? Keep up the good work.
1982 GL1100 Cafe - Born Naked
2020 October BOM
dogman
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by dogman »

Quick update: I've made good progress with the neon coil ( kudos to sgwilly for sharing his mounting idea!). And I am tweaking my mounting point for the M-unit. That picture is kind of dark but if you notice on the right of the neon coil you"ll see the location of the M-unit. I am going to get some larger cable/pipe clamps as the frame tubing is not the same diameter in that area and the clamp size I have won't work as intended. As soon as those two are in I will start running some wire!
neon mount.jpg
neon mount.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Attachments
m-unit mount b.jpg
m-unit mount b.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 272 times
GW Hobo
Chrome Member
Chrome Member
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... it=GW+Hobo

Post by GW Hobo »

Hope your project is going well Dogman. Give us an update when you can.
1982 GL1100 Cafe - Born Naked
2020 October BOM
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

I used an M unit on a build a while back and like them but I seem to recall the instructions noting that the unit needs to be at least 12 inches away from the coils. Check it out while you can.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS: