81 Interstate conversion into sport cruiser

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

81 Interstate conversion into sport cruiser

Post by sonoramike »

I've been wanting to do this for awhile. Surf Craigslist ads now and again for a viable candidate. Late last summer I picked up an 85 Interstate with 48k miles in great shape for $1000 and have been going through it, not fully on the road yet but should be shortly after I get the carbs back together.

Late last week I ran across an ad for an 81 for $500 running with title, but kinda rough. Saw it last Friday, the starter was inop and it has had head gasket issues due to a bad thermostat switch that caused an overheat (those switches are expensive!) but it seemed a solid base for a thinned down around town bike that I've had designed in my head so I handed the man his cash and loaded it up for the long ride home.

Ordered a starter on the way home Friday night. Stripped it all down over the weekend, took it to the car wash to get the grime off it Saturday. Starter arrived this morning, having done a starter R&R on the 85 before so I made quick work of it knowing what I needed to do. Once in all it took was one revolution of the starter and it popped alive. Photos and updates to come
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: 81 Interstate conversion into sport cruiser

Post by 77Gowing »

That's great. Hope it all works out for you
I wanna see the pics.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin. Sounds like a couple of great buys! Enjoy the ride!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

Saturday morning after dragging her home the night before, took the rear saddlebags off before realizing I needed to take a photo or 2.

Ended up leaving her in the truck to strip it, no need to take it out and then reload the big beast, now naked, even the dog is excited

So dirty. Looks like the cases have been apart due to white RTV between the case halves and the clutch cover and more. 80k miles on it

On order:
Emgo chrome superbike bars - 23-12561
Renthal grips
Kawell bar end mirrors
K&L fork seals and 1 OEM upper fork bushing, the throttle side fork is lightly blown, going to pull them both apart and freshen them up
Exhaust/muffler - Image I cut the stock pipes at the join point on the stock exhaust manifold in front of the baffle, going to fab up a midpipe at an angle to match the backside of the frame as it heads up to the seat and bolt these to the stock mount point. Need to shoot a few photos of this
Exhaust header - degrease and smooth the attachment points on the manifold for the chrome covers that no longer exist. Paint exhaust manifold flat black as well as the midpipe, hopefully it will all blend well

Undecided:
seat - I like the ducati monster seat fab, but there seem to be a lot of seats ready to go on ebay
headlight bucket - off to shop 7" buckets at ebay here in a few
blinkers - need to pick a style I like, prob old school stock looking aftermarkets, keep it simple
headlight ears - I'd like to do an oldschool set of ears with the ears and headlight bucket painted the same color as the tank and fenders. Have found a few on ebay
fender cutting
paint color - currently black, but its beat up. I like the light Honda blues
seat grab bar - been
wheels - paint entire wheel an alum color, or leave stock black/chrome lip and spoke circles

todo:
head gaskets and basic internal inspection
clutch basket adjust - prev owner reported that the clutch started to slip when on the gas hard in "5th and 6th" which is unusual for a 5 speed bike... :shock: Must have had an upgrade along the way...
replace front tire
check rear tire date code, is pretty new per PO, trust but verify...

Long term:
get it on the road and riding now
address one area at a time to keep it riding
have fun
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Sounds like you’re well on your way .... ShopTalk has lots of good info ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

@RAT, shoptalk is a great resource. Logged a few hours going through it all, more to go. Thanks for mentioning it
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

so bad news, bad news, and a question amidst the pain

Started the bike at least 8 times yesterday, worked a charm each time, very impressed with how quickly the bike popped alive. Walked by it this afternoon and decided to just fire it up and enjoy the burble of open pipes. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz when the starter without engaging. me: :-? push the button again, same. repeat 3 or 4 more times. Never catches. Huh, starter gear must not be fully engaged with the gear splines - but starter went all the way to the seat on the body where it mates with the block. Ok, I'll R&R it again, easy enough. Pull the starter out, no visible indication of anything on the starter gear - no stripped teeth, nothing polished from rubbing at the top of the gear. Line it all back up and this time after a moment or 4 it pops right in all the way in one stroke. I bolt it in but leave the header off of it, want to see what is going to happen. Turn the red run/stop switch to stop and hit the button. it turns over. me: cool. button the exhaust back up, flip the run/stop to run and hit the start button. it pops right away and dies, no choke. Give it some choke and give it another go ZZZZZZzzzzzz. Bad words were heard in that moment.

Occams razor says that the simplest reason is usually the right reason, so that would be that the starter splines are not fully seating somehow into the gear in the case. So to prove this I'm going to put an o-ring on the starter splines about 1/4 down from the top on the R&R and see what happens. If it ZZZZZZZZzzzzz's again then pull the starter and see what the o-ring tells me.

Bad news 2: I've been seeing a slow drip oil leak coming from above the shifter arm off the bottom head bolt. Noticed a bit of white RTV on/around that bolt yesterday, so today I got the small screwdriver out and went to work to see what was under all that RTV since no good can ever come from RTV. Sure enough, the head is cracked at the ear, lousy cell phone pic of the screwdriver tip pointing to the crack

So I need to source a head, will any 1100 L side head work? ie, need interchange info

Looking more and more like I'll be pulling the motor to address things prior to getting it on the road which kinda bums me out, I have too many projects already and this was a bike that was supposed to get me on the road and riding while I build the GT-750 which was supposed to be a runner from day 1 as well... cranky1.gif
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

Head from either side will work from what I recall. If you can get a complete head with cam and holders great. You need the original cam holders at a minimum with the new head.
You may have an issue with the starter clutch not engaging properly. A common issue on these bikes especially after they have sat awhile. It could be an issue with the starter installation, yet they only go in one way and if the starter gear and chain look good I would consider a starter clutch issue.
If you can get it running again an oil change and something to clean the motor internally like a Seafoam mixed into the oil in the correct volume per the can and running the bike at idle. This may help in cleaning and loosening up the rollers and pins in the starter clutch.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

^^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^ Any 1100 head will work. The cams are what make them RH or LH.

And yeah, sounds like the starter clutch. I wouldn't call it a common problem but it happens. Hopefully what flyin900 suggested works. The real "fix" requires engine to come out.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I had a head with same issue. The crack probably extends down to the bolt at the bottom. I cleaned mine up will with acetone and used JBWeid to get through the summer ones year. The crack was visible on the inside and because a good flow of oil flows there leaks quite a bit. I think I did it without removing the head using a q-tip through the lower opening. Not recommended for long term but could keep you working on it and checking further items
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

Head is coming off to replace the head gasket anyway , I'll have a look at the crack then and see if I can patch it or if I need a new head, clean all that baked on oil off the block then too, i hate a dirty mess, hides things like this. Think I've just bought a bike that has been maintained by a sloppy mechanic, which means trust nothing, confirmed by all that RTV usage, that reeks of cutting corners and being cheap.

The starter issue is what has me a bit bummed out at the moment,. Even if the oring test shows that the gear is partially pushed down the splines , which doesn't make sense given the intermittent nature of the problem, I'd have to take the back cover off to fully seat the gear onto the splines. Can't ride a bike anywhere that has an intermittent starter, not wiling to be stranded. And it has to start in order to get the seafoam into it to have a chance to free the starter clutch up.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Sounds like the starter clutch to me .... there are a number of approaches to cleaning it up that don't involve pulling the motor .... a quick search will give you the ideas

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

If you’re pulling the head to replace the head gasket, replace the head. You can find them cheap. eBay.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

Seeing RTV on a bike is always a huge red flag for me.
It shows me that the "mechanic" didn't pay attention to the details while "fixing" whatever
they went inside to fix.
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

dontwantapickle wrote:Seeing RTV on a bike is always a huge red flag for me.
It shows me that the "mechanic" didn't pay attention to the details while "fixing" whatever
they went inside to fix.
concur 1,000%. Didn't think to look under the bike to see if the halves were RTV'd. But truth told I prob would have pulled the trigger on it even if I did see RTV there.