GL 1100 81'

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: GL 1100 81'

Post by Wingersparty »

Well, thats it. Im officcially been infected by GL disease. Why? Well i had a dream last night and it was the most satisfactioning dream i have had in many years. I was in my garage, and my GL1100 was there half done and it was time for first start up. And it ran on first try!!!.... and it was sooo smooth and perfect, i had a friends there watching the whole process and they all cheered and aplauded. I felt so proud and so happy. :-D :-D
Im i going mad?
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Wingersparty wrote:Well, thats it. Im officcially been infected by GL disease. Why? Well i had a dream last night and it was the most satisfactioning dream i have had in many years. I was in my garage, and my GL1100 was there half done and it was time for first start up. And it ran on first try!!!.... and it was sooo smooth and perfect, i had a friends there watching the whole process and they all cheered and aplauded. I felt so proud and so happy. :-D :-D
Im i going mad?
Just wait 'til it's no longer a dream!
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

pidjones wrote:
Wingersparty wrote:Well, thats it. Im officcially been infected by GL disease. Why? Well i had a dream last night and it was the most satisfactioning dream i have had in many years. I was in my garage, and my GL1100 was there half done and it was time for first start up. And it ran on first try!!!.... and it was sooo smooth and perfect, i had a friends there watching the whole process and they all cheered and aplauded. I felt so proud and so happy. :-D :-D
Im i going mad?
Just wait 'til it's no longer a dream!
A big +1 lolol lolol lolol
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

The spring is here, although it just snowed yesterday, and my bike is coming together bit by bit. Heres a little teaser how it was few weeks ago
Today it is basically almost finished. Only rear turn signals to install and radiator fan switch to change. There will remain few cosmetic things like painting brake calipers but thats for next winter.

I have done so far
Rebuild brake calipers and master cylinders
New brake hoses
New brakepads
New oem mech fuel pump
New fuel lines and filter
New shift shaft seal
Carb rebuild with randakks kit
New belts
Oil, oilfilter, airfilter,
New sparkplugs
New saddle
Front fender
Lower handlebars
New oem starter switch
New grips
All new cables ( cluch, throttle etc.)
Valves checked
Wheel bearings.

Next pics when out and riding :guitar :crosso

To be continiued.....
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Well, i can call it finished. Did a test ride and smiled every mile, i can say im pleased with a end result.

No huge modifications but i can say "i made it my own"

pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Very nice. Elegant.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
ddavidson
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by ddavidson »

Nice work. I’m in the process of doing very much the same as you but I’m starting with a GL1100 Interstate with full fairings.
Are the headlight and front and rear turn signals stock?
What handle bar is on the bike? Can you tell me how wide it is and how high the rise is?
Thanks
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

ddavidson wrote:Nice work. I’m in the process of doing very much the same as you but I’m starting with a GL1100 Interstate with full fairings.
Are the headlight and front and rear turn signals stock?
What handle bar is on the bike? Can you tell me how wide it is and how high the rise is?
Thanks
Hi, thanks, headlight and turn signals are stock. I bought the handlebars from a local store and the brand was LSL. Unfortunatly i do not remember the rise. id have to measure it next time ill be in garage.
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

I hate testrides. Honestly. After all that time, work and effort you kind of expect or hope that everything works perfectly but theres always something that is screwed up.
I did a 100 km ride and it ended almost crashing. I was 4km from home and i thought to throw in some heavy corners. Just to take her to the limit. I was entering roundabout relativly fast and braking hard and just when i wanted to release the brakes and was ready to accelerate out of the corner the rear brake was blocked throwing me almost off the bike. Luckily managed to stay up and no damage to me or to the bike.
The rear brake was completly bloked and the bike standing in the middle of the road. There was a guy a who stoped right behind me to cover me fom a traffic with a car- big thanks to him.
The first thing i had was it must have been something to do with mc. I opened the bleeder nut and the brakes were released so i could move the bike to the side of the road and eventually managed to drive home using only front brakes.

So now it all starts all over again by removing mc and checking any blockages etc etc... or is there any known or common issues i should check first?
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Could be the return hole in the master cylinder or it could be the brake hose. I would rebuild the master cylinder making sure the return hole is clear. And I would replace the hose. If original it is 39 years old.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

robin1731 wrote:Could be the return hole in the master cylinder or it could be the brake hose. I would rebuild the master cylinder making sure the return hole is clear. And I would replace the hose. If original it is 39 years old.

During the winter i rebuilt the caliper and the mc and changed the hose. Everythings brand new.
But i already took off the caliper and it seems that theres something wrong with the piston. I can turn it with a wise grips but i cant bush it in nor out even if its completely empty and no hoses attatched.

We'll see...
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Make sure the rubber parts in the master cylinder are installed on the piston correctly. Recently there was a thread with a similar issue and it turned out they had installed the parts wrong. So the return hole was covered up I believe.

It is easy to cock the piston in the bore and make it very hard to move by hand.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

robin1731 wrote:Make sure the rubber parts in the master cylinder are installed on the piston correctly. Recently there was a thread with a similar issue and it turned out they had installed the parts wrong. So the return hole was covered up I believe.

It is easy to cock the piston in the bore and make it very hard to move by hand.

+1 If the caliper released when you cracked the bleeder or hose, the main problem is with the master cylinder...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Track T 2411 wrote:
robin1731 wrote:Make sure the rubber parts in the master cylinder are installed on the piston correctly. Recently there was a thread with a similar issue and it turned out they had installed the parts wrong. So the return hole was covered up I believe.

+1 If the caliper released when you cracked the bleeder or hose, the main problem is with the master cylinder...
Or the hose. Anything upstream of the caliper. ;)

You can eliminate the hose by cracking the bleed screw at the master cylinder while the brake is locked/dragging. If it releases then it is the M/C. If not then it's the hose.

1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
Wingersparty
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Wingersparty »

Problem solved. Just came back from another test ride. It was master cylinder. The return hole was blocked.