The 70's called and I answered. 1975 GL1000 project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: The 70's called and I answered. 1975 GL1000 project

Post by wingrider »

Congrats on BOTM! Nicely done!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Congrats!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Congrats on BOTM!
Ride away!
~CrazyJerry~
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

awesome build! any luck on the electric pump conversion or new diaphragm?
rjdoles
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by rjdoles »

I really enjoyed reading your posts. I too bought a barn find 77 Goldwing that had been sitting for 15 years. This is my first Goldwing and over the past two months I have gone through much the same process. There was a comment in one of the Randakks articles that every one of these old Wings has probably been worked on by about 12 hands before we got it so we may discover that some of the repairs are likely to be more cobbled up patches than actual repairs.

I am jealous of your throttle response. My 77 still has a bog before taking throttle. The carbs are clean and all four idle air adjustments now make a difference. The second time I had them off I set the float levels again and got them as close to 21mm on all 4 corners as I could get and it made a difference. I put the smaller jets in to resolve the off idle bog but no joy. The bike runs much better than it did and it feels more like a sportbike than a cruiser once underway. It is so smooth, revs so easily and is so quick but from a standing start, what seems like a grabby clutch just before it completely engages along with iffy throttle response is frustrating. If this bike had better low rpm and low throttle manners I would be delighted.

I adjusted the valves and did a compression test and get about 145 psi on all four cylinders. It is not the 170 psi in the manual but that may just be my gauge. It seems like my readings are even enough that this engine should have good driveability.

My idle speed is temperature sensitive. When the needle of the temperature gauge just reaches the white area, the idle is fine but on a warm day, as it moves to 1/3 to 1/2 way into the white area, where the fan kicks on, my idle runs away to about 2700 rpm. It may be that the idle is set just high enough that it causes the spark advance to start kicking in. If I lower the idle a bit to prevent that runaway then, when the engine is cold, it frequently stalls at a stop but it idles fine once it has completely warmed up.

I have enjoyed the journey with this bike and a lot of progress has been made but I still have work to do.

I read a Randakks article that said that once the carbs are synchronized and mine are very close at idle now, they should stay that way as you increase the rpm up to 3000. The balance diverges as I increase rpm to 3000. Why does the 1,3 and 2,4 balance shift at higher rpm. I have been pondering this for a few days now. I am going to pull the carbs off and polish the slides again but I am not sure that sticky slides can cause this problem.
July 4th.jpg
July 4th.jpg (116.89 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Started with an Allstate stooter made by Cushman and then a series of Honda motorcycles. 305 SuperHawk, CB750, VT600DC, VT750CD and then 4 years ago I left motorcycles for scooters with an Elite 125, Reflex 250 and Silverwing 600. Most recent is a barn find 77 GL1000 that I plan to resurect.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Did you do the shims under the needles along with the idle air jets? LMK if you need a set of shims, i've a package of 500 that I only needed 4 of, I'll mail you a set.
old_smokey
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by old_smokey »

Hi everyone,

I haven't checked in on my build thread in a while and wow, bike of the month!! That's too cool, thank you to the moderators. Glad you are enjoying following along on my build here.

In a few hours I'm leaving on a 600-mile two-night road trip. This will be my first mini-tour on the 'wing since I bought it. I also finished installing the electric fuel pump about oh...one hour ago, so talk about trial by fire! But I have confidence it will work.

I started a thread that documents my wiring plan for the electric conversion over here:
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 26#p782826

However in the interest of keeping everything about this bike in one place, I'll summarize it here:

I read what felt like a hundred threads on the conversion. There were so many different approaches used. Many different pump brands, styles, and safety features, and lack there of. I decided to design my own system.

In the end it is quite simple. I wanted to accomplish the following:
- Power the pump directly off the battery via a relay, because my wiring harness is 45 years old after all. I didn't want to pull power off an already old, possibly weak circuit.
- Have the pump only running when the engine was running, to prevent flooding or hydrolock risks, and also minimize the chance of a fire if I have a tip-over and the engine stalls, but electrical system is still live
- Include a way to manually run the pump with the engine OFF, so I could prime the carbs after long term storage, like over winter for example.

I used a Facet 40171 pump. It runs at 2-3.5psi, with 1/8" NPT fittings on each end.

My wiring diagram shows two relays. The relay on the right simply passes battery positive directly through to the relay on the left when the ignition turns on.

The relay on the left is a five-pin. I attached the pump positive to the relay's "normally closed" terminal, meaning the pump runs when the relay has NO power. The relay coil gets a keyed-power source, which is grounded to the oil pressure switch.

So it works as follows:
- Key turns on, engine is off - both relays are active. Battery positive flows through right-side relay, but hits a dead-end at left-side relay because the oil pressure switch is grounded.
- If I'm starting after sitting, I can flip a toggle switch to break the ground to oil pressure, de-energizing the left relay, and turning on the pump (with the engine still off)
- If this is regular riding, I simple hit the starter, oil pressure comes up immediately, and the left-side relay is de-energized, passing battery power through to the pump. Pump starts running, and off I go.

Someone made a comment that this seemed a bit complicated, to which I say ah ha, take a closer look...

If the left side relay fails, it fails with continuity running from 30 to 87A, meaning power will go to the pump. No getting stranded here. It just means that the pump will continue to run if the engine shuts off. It will turn off with the key switch only now.

If the right side relay fails, I can jump the keyed positive at its coil to the 30/pump power input on the left side relay. So technically this system could work with only the one relay if I wanted. This is also the fix I would do if both relays died at the same time. Point is, the only way I can get stuck out on the road is if that actual pump itself kicks the bucket.

Today I installed the pump and had a test ride to work. I didn't have time to install my prime toggle switch or make the bracket look nice yet. I had to do it all over my lunch hour! I'll finish it up next week.
Attachments
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG (120.34 KiB) Viewed 365 times
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG (87.12 KiB) Viewed 365 times
IMG_0408 2.JPG
IMG_0408 2.JPG (135.75 KiB) Viewed 365 times
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG (158.99 KiB) Viewed 365 times
old_smokey
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by old_smokey »

Weekend tour is a wrap and I made it home. Though not without some technical difficulties.

Our ride was about 800km through rolling Manitoba. The first day we ended off with a gravel road diversion through a very steep ravine. This brought us to a back-country camp spot on a tall hill with an amazing view of rolling thunderstorms all around us. We stayed dry all night, though the 'wing had some issues. It appears the starter switch didn't like the bumpy road.

The plastic body inside the switch housing cracked, causing the switch to bind in the housing. Essentially it would get stuck in the 'on' position if I pushed it in. I'm glad i noticed it and didn't fry my starter. I tried fixing it but there was no acceptable solution given my limited tools and resources. Out came the kick starter!

I've never tried kick-starting a wing before, but have read it can be very difficult. Happy to share that after sitting overnight, the bike sparked to life on the second kick. I had to use it about a dozen times over the weekend and I'd say I had about five first-kick starts, five-second kick starts, and two times where it required at least ten kicks oddly.

Later in the ride my turn signals started acting up. The two rear lights flash together when I activate the left circuit. The front left occasionally didn't work at all. The right was pretty consistently good. I also discovered I have the front and rears reversed, with the daylight running lights in the back! So there is some dodgy business going on there, but should be an easy evening job to sort out.

I Had my first blue smoke show after parking on the side stand as well, but only happened once randomly in the middle of the trip. I stopped for lunch for about an hour. Started the bike and a huge cloud of smoke came out the left pipe. It cleared up in a minute and never happened again. My old BMW airhead did the same sometimes, I'm not concerned.

The last issue is the biggest. I'm having some strange clutch issues. I've mentioned before that I get a 'clunk' and lurch forward when slipping the clutch out from a stop, in 1st gear. It begins accelerating normally, and the final bit of clutch lever travel results in a lurch, where I feel the clutch grabbing below the seat.

Toward the end of the trip, I started finding it impossible to shift from 1st into neutral when hot as well. I'm wondering if my B-plate is damaged, or I have bad friction plates, or a warped plate etc. Only one way to find out, and that's pull the clutch for a look. That's this week's job.

If the clutch is fine, I'm not sure what else could be the cause. I know there are a lot of splined connections in the driveline, but if they were going bad I should be able to emulate the clunk by rolling on/off the throttle. That creates no problems for me. It is only when slipping the clutch under load.

It could possibly be cush rubbers I guess, but I would think feathering the clutch lightly would negate the issue then. No matter if I accelerate softly, or aggressively, I get the same issue.

Clutch report coming up next.

Photos courtesy of another '75 wing owner on the trip, Brian. Though he was riding an R100RT on the ride.
Attachments
IMG_0483 4.jpeg
IMG_0483 4.jpeg (173.73 KiB) Viewed 349 times
IMG_0485 3.jpeg
IMG_0485 3.jpeg (277.49 KiB) Viewed 349 times
IMG_0462 2.jpeg
IMG_0462 2.jpeg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 349 times
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg (214.95 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Last edited by old_smokey on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old_smokey
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by old_smokey »

Oh darn, the pictures didn't show up and now I can't seem to upload any. Forum issue perhaps?
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

old_smokey wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:56 am Oh darn, the pictures didn't show up and now I can't seem to upload any. Forum issue perhaps?
Forum software upgrades are messing with pictures for a while. Give them time, I'm sure they will get it ironed out soon.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

i got the pictures. And I'm jealous. Thats what I USED to use bikes for . When I was in my 20's :lol: :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Certainly looks like a fun weekend!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I’m pretty sure I saw you on your way home. On Henderson Highway Sunday about 12:20. It looked like your bike, I was on my pedal bike getting some exercise. I spotted the profile, and had to look. It sounded great. Very smooth. I probably have a switch laying around somewhere if you need one.

The electric fuel pump probably aided the kick starts for you. I have found leaning the bike to the right for ten-fifteen seconds before sidestanding eliminates the smoke show.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
old_smokey
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by old_smokey »

ericheath wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:57 am I’m pretty sure I saw you on your way home. On Henderson Highway Sunday about 12:20. It looked like your bike, I was on my pedal bike getting some exercise. I spotted the profile, and had to look. It sounded great. Very smooth. I probably have a switch laying around somewhere if you need one.

The electric fuel pump probably aided the kick starts for you. I have found leaning the bike to the right for ten-fifteen seconds before sidestanding eliminates the smoke show.
No way! Yes that would have been me. I live off Henderson and I got home right around that time. I remember actually passing a cyclist who gave the bike a good look, isn't that funny. Small world.

If you have a switch I would be ever grateful. I have a few switches from other bikes in my parts bins but none fit. I'd love to keep it original if possible.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I have one from a 77—— somewhere
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi