Boiling The Carbs - Or What I Found Inside

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Boiling The Carbs - Or What I Found Inside

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

So I have gone ahead and pulled the trigger on Randakk's complete and pricey carb kit- the deciding factor was what I found when I decide to do a bit of an 'exploratory' on the carbs to my '77 GL1000 - see all that shiny, wet-looking stuff...?
Well, it's not. It's all dried-up fuel...shellac, if you will...
ImageDSCN1480 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

Of these, only the float in the lower-left moves...
ImageDSCN1482 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

And this one is downright fuzzy...!
ImageDSCN1485 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

So my question is, I've seen the posts on boiling the carbs, and I figure this is as good a time as any to do it, if nothing else to soften all that crap up and hopefully float it off of there before I soak it all down with carb cleaner, both can AND spray - any tips before I do this?
Last edited by Dr. Frankenstein on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Boiling The Carbs - Or What I Found Inside

Post by dontwantapickle »

I have a set of carbs that the po tried to clean by boiling them on his bbq grill.
He ended up melting some of the plastic on the rack, they are now unuseable.
Be careful.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually, I have a turkey pan - one of those enameled ones with a lid from Walmart, like you cook a Thanksgving turkey in - and was going to try that...put the carbs I'm boiling up on wood blocks to keep it off the bottom and let it simmer...I figure if Randakk himself has a pic of him using a tin-foil one, a real one might be better/thicker.

But Hey! If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears! :-D
Last edited by Dr. Frankenstein on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

As far as the rubber parts in the carbs go, if I'm re-doing the whole thing I really shouldn't have to worry about damaging any rubber parts in there right now, right...? Or is there anything in there that needs to be saved first?
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I wonder how they'd respond to an aggressive ultrasonic bath?
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Ultra sonic has been used by some. I just soaked in carb cleaner but they were not as abused as the pics you showed. Your actual mileage will vary.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

The original formula Yamaha Carburetor Cleaner worked SO WELL on my trike's carburetors .
Back in 2006, though, while it was still available.

Scroll down to Similar Topics for several more Boiling Carburetor discussions.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Boiling helps soften making cleaning easier, but you still have to scrub, clean and blow compressed air through everything. Take your time and it’s probably worth using distilled water as Randakk suggests.

The problem with aggressiveness and carb cleaners is many times the cleaner destroys the rubber bits. If you can pull the rubber parts without breaking them, it will be better. If you have new parts, no worries.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Things of elastomer that I'd worry about are float valve tips. Hard plastic like the piston buffers and foalt valve seat filters should be removed also. I stripped mine before boiling on my '79. I would strongly advise against carb dip, but carb cleaner (or better brake cleaner) can be used to soften the gook. Be very careful to use only JIS screwdrivers and make a couple tools for removing the two emulsion tubes in each carb. They have tiny ports that need cleaned. The "puck" also needs to come out to clean/verify all passages.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:As far as the rubber parts in the carbs go, if I'm re-doing the whole thing I really shouldn't have to worry about damaging any rubber parts in there right now, right...? Or is there anything in there that needs to be saved first?
Disregard my post. I now realize it has already been covered. tumb2
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, after studying the responses, and the carb, I think I'm going to try to use brake cleaner to get 'into' the floats, needles, etc...try to get all the rubber bits off, and then soak the rest in either a small container of gasoline or that Gunk Carb Cleaner. Might try the Yamaha stuff, but I have not decided yet. I'm exploring all options.

I DO have a HF ultrasonic w/ heat and some Simple Green, a set of Megadora JIS screwdrivers (even the Impacta one, which has so far proven ineffective), and I do have a set of carb/welding tip cleaners I have used on other carbs...and as noted I am in No Rush to do this...I also have the Holy Grail coming - I mean, the Randakk Master Carb kit ('with video'!) on the way and I plan to do this right rather than quickly - as if there is an option. This is right up there with my '78 KZ650B carbs, and I was able to do those, so....any pros and cons regarding the solution used in 'an aggressive ultrasonic bath'??

Honestly, I love working on stuff like this - I really love defeating the powers of time and age, and it makes me feel good to remove all that crap and get her back functioning properly, so I am actually kind of looking forward to this.

I'm wondering about the tank, though. It has surface rust in it, and I was thinking about filling it up with white vinegar to do away with that. It's a helluva lot cheaper per gallon than EvapoRust, and seems to yield good results although I haven't tried it yet. The tank is still in the bike, and I was going to fill it up, let it sit for a day or two, or longer, and see what happens...although I guess I could use a solution of naval jelly and water...any ideas?
low-side
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by low-side »

It's not cheap, but nothing works quite like Evaporust for a rusted tank. I've cut it with distilled water and it still worked well, just took a little longer to do the job. Milkstone remover is cheaper, but you have to watch it more closely because it's phosphoric acid and will eat good steel given enough time. Some folks use electrolysis and it is probably the best method, but it does take some set-up. Regarding the carb float pins, you may consider electrical contact cleaner. It's not cheap, but you don't need a lot of it and it puts brake cleaner to shame in situations like this.
twooldwings
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by twooldwings »

i don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, but it's definitely on my wish list. i have seen enough you-tubers (the good ones, not the ones with a camera and cigarette in one hand and a beer and crescent wrench in the other) using them successfully that i am convinced of their effectiveness.
best "tool" that i have bought for cleaning the extremely tiny orifices on the slow jets is a high "e" guitar string. i couldn't live without it.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

For the US cleaner, a good surfactant in small concentration is all that is needed once the varnish is removed with carb cleaner. It is mainly to let the water wet the surfaces so the US created cavitation can work. Not too much as you don't want foaming. Just a drop or two of Simple Green or Dawn should do. I use a lab product that I received several sample bottles of ~20 years ago and haven't used up yet. BTW, the primary drawback of the HF US cleaner is size. It won't hold a body fully submerged. A cleaner large enough to hold two bodies (stripped) still connected by the garnish is ideal. I had one, but fried it doing a CB750F set. That's why I boiled my '79 GL1000 set.
DSC07776.JPG
DSC07776.JPG (119.36 KiB) Viewed 396 times
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm right on the verge of boiling them just like that, but I wonder about the felt washers/rings in there I keep hearing about - won't the heat damage them? Did you just put them on Low, or get a rolling boil going, or...? Are they sitting on anything to keep them off the grill itself? And how long should they stay in? I have so many questions because I REALLY don't want to mess up these carbs; I'm finding out just how Not Cheap this re-build is going to be! :)