I'm a sucker for a good priced project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: I'm a sucker for a good priced project

Post by ritalz »

I got seriously distracted when I picked up my 03. Hard to wrench and ride at the same time.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Indeed. I was just kidding.
Go forth & ride or wrench, whatever suits your fancy Al.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Can we go back and revisit the title of this thread for a minute?

I’m wondering what constitutes a good price for a project motorcycle for folks? I know it’s highly dependent, particularly with regard to the model under consideration, but just where do you draw the line? I personally like to start with something that’s reasonably well preserved. If it’s a rusted hulk that sat in somebody’s backyard for five years, I won’t touch it. Back porch maybe (Like my project 78 750F... still in the pipeline). But free doesn’t count. Or if it’s really special.

But Where does a “project” start? $500? $1000? $1500? And I’m not talking about 1912 single cylinder Harley Davidsons.

I’ve gotten a little more selective lately, and I’m trying to find lost orhans that are less common. Problem is, so is everybody else! Things have changed in the last 10 or 15 years. Everybody wants to do this now. Luckily, not everybody can and they don’t realize it until they’re elbow deep. So, a new opportunity - his project that got started, parts procured, then his true abilities realized. So he tries to sell it for a fortune. Reality hits, price drops, so opportunities still occasionally pop up. 500? 1000? 1500? Hmm...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

desertrefugee wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:51 pm
I’ve gotten a little more selective lately, and I’m trying to find lost orhans that are less common. Problem is, so is everybody else! Things have changed in the last 10 or 15 years. Everybody wants to do this now. Luckily, not everybody can and they don’t realize it until they’re elbow deep. So, a new opportunity - his project that got started, parts procured, then his true abilities realized. So he tries to sell it for a fortune.
^^^ this is my situation in a nutshell.
So much so that I have quit actively looking for bike projects to flip.

The only bikes that do appear at a somewhat reasonable price are the ruined "bobber" projects
that show up every now and then on CL.
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

My idea of a good price is as follows:
Bike should be mostly complete
Motor should turn over
Has a title
Everything else is a bonus

The most I ever paid for one is $600 (too much). The best buy was a great looking, non running 82 for $500. Got a 94 Shadow for free a while back. This one cost me $100 plus a long drive. The answer to your question is relevant to the machine and your state of mind while trying to make a purchase. For me, I will take a serious look at bikes under $500 but probably won't buy at that price unless it moves me.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I haven't bought a bike to flip (yet), but Al's numbers are pretty close to mine. 'Grumpy' came my way for $250, non-running and partially disassembled. 'The Jalopy' 78-79 project (three bikes and lots of spare parts), $550. I paid $1000 for 'Layla' only because I knew the full history of the bike, the p.o. was obsessive about upkeep, and she's an easy '8' cosmetically. All I'll say about 'Scarlett' is that I practically stole her, lol!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
twooldwings
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by twooldwings »

my first batch of 3 goldwings was 3 years ago ... $700CDN for the lot; hearing that big beast roar to life after having been riding a 90CC 2-stroke was what got me hooked.

my second batch of three was last summer ... $1600 for the lot but it included an almost-ready, good lookin' 77 and a lot of new parts still in packaging.

would like another batch of 3 but i will be happy with a singleton with all the tupperware to fix now and ride this spring. been looking; these bikes are getting rarer.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

For GL1000's I have always started at $2,000 US and worked backwards from there. A $2,000 bike should be completely refreshed and have all subsystems updated and be ready to ride Coast to Coast with a high level of confidence. Rebuild the calipers and both M/C's, new brake lines, refurb fuel system and coolant systems, new Quality tires, carb rebuild, thorough electrical system check up, fresh head gaskets, Valve guide seals, etc etc etc.... Cosmetics are a bonus but not something I focus on. If someone had done Mods to the bike that cost me money to undo that is also a significant detractor.

So working backwards I figure out how far away from that Coast to Coast goal the bike is then base my value on what it will take to get there. But that is just me.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Whiskerfish wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:24 am For GL1000's I have always started at $2,000 US and worked backwards from there. A $2,000 bike should be completely refreshed and have all subsystems updated and be ready to ride Coast to Coast with a high level of confidence. Rebuild the calipers and both M/C's, new brake lines, refurb fuel system and coolant systems, new Quality tires, carb rebuild, thorough electrical system check up, fresh head gaskets, Valve guide seals, etc etc etc.... Cosmetics are a bonus but not something I focus on. If someone had done Mods to the bike that cost me money to undo that is also a significant detractor.

So working backwards I figure out how far away from that Coast to Coast goal the bike is then base my value on what it will take to get there. But that is just me.
I feel the same.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
AZNGW Rider
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by AZNGW Rider »

I think Whiskerfish has the right idea, start with a figure for a good running bike that is ready to go and subtract the cost to get to that.
1976 Goldwing GL-1000
1998 Royal Star 1300
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
:crosso
Past Bikes
1975 Kawasaki KZ400
1977 Goldwing GL-1000
toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by toomanybikes »

My data points ...
I've had four Goldwings (two '81s and two 83's, one was an Interstate) and paid $400, $500, $700 and $900 (from a dealer). None were running at the time, all were complete. Three had transferrable titles, one didn't ... hello VT.

Overall, the cheapest bike I've bought was $25 for an '80 CX500 sitting in some guys back yard. The hbox and mufflers were totally rotted, but most everything else was usable or respectable. the seat and tank were actually in very good shape, worth well more than $25 each if i were to part them out.

I've found it takes $500-$800 to make something truly roadworthy (brakes, tires, battery, carb parts, etc.). more if you're going for cosmetics.
Greater Boston MA, USA
Stable as of 26Dec22: '81 GL1100, '10 Bonnie SE, '86 Yamaha Radian, '83 Suzuki GS650L, '14 Moto Guzzi California, '85 Honda V30 Magna
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

I have been fortunate to make this a pre retirement hobby and now a retirement hobby. I have restored close to 40 Honda’s of various models over a 12 year period. As noted above from Rialtz those are my guidelines basically when looking.

The reality is now I find it is very difficult to find anything that is realistically priced anymore on the various selling forums. Covid has exacerbated this situation, as more people are doing this than ever before. Plus the projects that are uncompleted by a current owner and now for sale at silly prices, trying to recover both their time and parts invested.
There seems to be unrealistic prices asked today for bikes that meet my criteria, yet are being offered at a finished value price before you even start.
So this year I have decided to step away from purchasing anything further and concentrate on finishing my current project and doing maintenance on the fleet. :-D

As far as getting something road ready up here in Canada with cosmetics aside, usually $1000 - $1500 will take care of the materials and taxes and title change over. So my price point has been to purchase in the $500-$750 range, unless it is something quite exceptional.
Case in point I found a 1978 CB 550K that was only on the road for 5 years and had about 4K miles on the clock. The bike was in exceptional condition being garage stored all it’s life. I paid $1750. Cdn for that one, or about $1200.US and I am just completing a sympathetic restoration. The key bolts still have the factory yellow paint markings on them, so I wish to not over restore it.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

You guys over there have it good. I have seen nice projects on FB marketplace and Craigslist for what would be considered small money over here. A short while ago I paid €500 for this:
77 gl1000.jpg
77 gl1000.jpg (87.61 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

OK there is more to it than that, I have the swing arm and Lester rear wheel, and all the plastic bits in red, except the shelter top which is chrome. It is a European Spec bike. The fenders are off something else, the exhaust system is scrap, the carbs are from an 1100, and the indicators/ headlight are off something else too, but I do have most of the bits to rebuild it. It came with the timing covers, fuel tank, a kickstart lever, a new set of timing belts and a new ignition points assembly and some other bits. The previous owner has put new modified timing idler pulleys on. This is a '77 model, and I have a rear long fender for this that I picked up some time ago.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Well ... the wheels have good value ... and I’m sure you will make the rest of it worthwhile ...

Gord(cheering you on)Jones
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F