scotspanner

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

scotspanner
Brass Member
Brass Member

scotspanner

Post by scotspanner »

So where do you start restoring a GL1100 that has been neglected for a very long time. A start had been made when first acquired, and a good inspection made of all the parts. All very tired, but the good news was that it was all there, and I did see and hear it run with no strange noises coming from the engine, and all the electrics seemed to work. Good enough for me.

Over the years, between house moves and relationships the bike had been stripped to component parts to aid storage and relocation. Must all sound very familiar to everybody here. I am now in a position to start again.

Due to this pandemic I will have trouble getting some things done. Powder coating and soda blasting to start with. I know where to get it all done, just can't get there.

I decided to start at the top and bottom. The clocks have been stripped and checked. The chrome was passed it, so new bases ordered from CMSNL and rubbers from Dave Silver (no interests with either). All the fasteners will be replaced with stainless ( its an illness), and the mounting bracket rubbed back and painted.
The clock housings have been opened up, loads of good stuff out there on how to do it. The main bodies were in a bad state. At some time the black had been painted by hand, badly, and the rust was starting to take a hold. The mechanisms have been put into poly bags to keep the dirt out. Much time has been spent rubbing back to bare metal, and rattle can etch primer and gloss black applied. I don't like painting, ever, so I'm on my third attempt to get it right. Looking promising this time.

The bike will be a bagger, but still had the rear indicators fitted. Again the rear light cluster was in a very poor state, but over the years I have picked up parts and I have a dresser rear light bracket. The chrome is in good condition, and all the fasteners have been replaced with stainless, ( its an illness). When I get to the electrics, all the lamps will be replaced with LED's.

That's about it for now. A start has been made on the top yoke, and thoughts turned to modifications of various parts.

Pictures will follow when I work out how to upload them. I know there is a help guide for that.

If you have made it this far, thanks. I will keep this up to date as I go along, and with pictures.

Stay Safe
From the home of Barrs Irn Bru, our other national drink
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: scotspanner

Post by Rat »

Waiting and watching ....

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome back! I've been in similar circumstances with my projects. It is a survivable predicament, lol! Feel free to ask those 'what the xxxx is this part' and 'how does this go' questions. Been there, done that, maybe even have pictures, lol!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Enthusiasm, raw material, know-how. This will be fun to watch…

Welcome!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

...change the belts!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Start-and-stop-and-start again is how many builds go. The hardest part for me being finding the part that you know you have to continue on. Let me suggest just a fraction of a drop of very thin spray silicone lubricant on the bearing that the clock needles pivot on. The grease dries and thickens with time causing slow and inaccurate response. Greasing the worm gear that drives the odometer is good too. Just don't get any grease or oil on the face as the markings are very lightly adhered. You can test the clocks with a battery powered drill in reverse. I chuck the stem from an old pop-rivet which has flutes that will grab the inner square drive enough to indicate about 30 mph one the speedometer.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
scotspanner
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by scotspanner »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the welcome.
I had an 1100 back in the 80's, best bike ever. I did all my own spannering, so I'm aware if the weaknesses with the bike. I already have a set of belts. Thanks pidjones for the info about the speedo. It will be done.

Will talk later, its spanner time
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

pictures... we love pictures :popcornx2
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

I was near you back in the 70's. Holy Loch. Did 10 patrols on a submarine out of there.
1976 Yamaha RD400c
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
scotspanner
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by scotspanner »

Sunday night progress report
Been a busy week. The speedo and tacho housings have been cleaned, primed (again) and painted for the last time. Not too bad a finish. Moving parts tested with cordless drill, lubricated. Found that the tacho was a bit sluggish counting down from 1000 RPM. There was grease between the cone sections of the drive. Cleaned this out, and now a lot better. The inner cone rotates, and the outer is stationary, the grease was causing drag between the two parts. Cleaned the inside, and then mated the two halves together. Kept them together with a carpenters clamp while the locking ring was peened over and swaged closed.
Would I do this job again. Only if I had to, just a sod to do. Only did it because the rust was so bad on the housings. Next time I will make a fixture to reshape the locking ring to the correct form, again hold the halves together with a clamp while the ring was peened over, and fab a ring tool to swage the ring closed in a press. Why didn't I do this now. Working out of a single garage, back garden is getting cleared this week for a slab to be laid, and then at some point a big shed built. Enough room then for the lathe to be installed. Patience, it will all happed.
New chrome bottom housings will arrive this week, have the new rubber mounts.
Onto the front forks and front brakes. I have a set of forks that were supposed to go into another bike. They have been sitting around for 30+ years, but have cleaned up well. New seals on their way.

I have loads of pictures, just cant figure out how to post them. Help please
scotspanner
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by scotspanner »

pidjones wrote:I was near you back in the 70's. Holy Loch. Did 10 patrols on a submarine out of there.
I know the area well, I must take the ferry across to Hunters Quay a couple of times a year. Then off to Inveraray, and back home via Loch Lomond. A great days run out.

I remember the subs being there, and then just going.
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

scotspanner wrote:
pidjones wrote:I was near you back in the 70's. Holy Loch. Did 10 patrols on a submarine out of there.
I know the area well, I must take the ferry across to Hunters Quay a couple of times a year. Then off to Inveraray, and back home via Loch Lomond. A great days run out.

I remember the subs being there, and then just going.
We seldom had more time off than to run into Dunoon or Sandbank. Once we did rent a car and went to Inverness and Edinburgh. And I took a tour with shipyard workers to Sterling castle. What we saw was beautiful.
1976 Yamaha RD400c
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Back in '78 Beth and I rode on the Maid of the Loch
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
scotspanner
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by scotspanner »

Hi There

The maid is being restored at the present time. I have never been on any of the vessels on the lochs. I think the Sir Walter Scott is still operating on Loch Katrine. I will have to make an effort to visit then, they are very local for me so there is no excuse.
scotspanner
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by scotspanner »

101_0275[1].jpg
101_0275[1].jpg (161.46 KiB) Viewed 258 times
This is a test to see if I can insert pictures. This what I bought, all there but a real state
General RHS.JPG
General RHS.JPG (139.73 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Another view.

Time has moved on, and work started. The clocks are now done, just waiting for stainless fasteners (it an illness).
20200519_153243.jpg
20200519_153243.jpg (107.51 KiB) Viewed 258 times
20200605_134637.jpg
20200605_134637.jpg (129.58 KiB) Viewed 258 times
A before and after view. Next forks and brakes
20200607_130948.jpg
20200607_130948.jpg (155.76 KiB) Viewed 258 times
After a bit of a clean up
20200607_130948.jpg
20200607_130948.jpg (155.76 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Dust seals after 30+ years of neglect. After brushing away all the rust what came out with these I didn't want to trust the lip seals so new ones on order. The chrome was redone 30 years ago, and is in very good condition. The original forks from the bike will be rebuilt and rechromed at some point, and mothballed as spares. You can never have too many spares.

Don't mind the wheely bin. Makes a good stand for taking pictures, and makes a quick spray booth.
The brake calipers will be stripped and inspected. All the paint will be removed and sent for powder coating when possible.
Stainless pistons (its an illness) fitted and new seals.
I know stainless has its problems, I use it extensively at work. Galling, work hardening, which grades. I dare say I will mention it all in passing later, but it can look great, stays bright for a long time and can solve a load of issues in the future.

In the Fun Factory again this afternoon

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”