'77 Wing "Forever Bike"

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: '77 Wing "Forever Bike"

Post by wannabridin »

Played with the sync and it was WWAAYY off. I'm not sure if my bench sync was garbage or the PO tried to adjust it. I had to go out 1+ full turn on the left bank (2&4) to get them close! Using the carbtune (i had the restrictors on the wrong end, so the sliders were bouncing around more than i wanted), the bike can now take off without as much issue.

Need to fiddle with it more to get it just right. Still have some popping, a little rattling at idle, and some hesitation off idle. Need to get the sync a little closer and then dial in ignition timing (I ordered one of Randakk's timing wheels to help with this).

One issue i noticed was a VERY slow and delayed speedometer. I need to check and possibly re-lube the cable, as maybe the first lube job i did wasn't effective... small steps!
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Speedo and Tach lag is common after sitting. Often just exercise will resolve it.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Nice, thanks! I went ahead and took off the speedo cable last night, cleaned the housing and cable real well and soaked them both with some PJ1 cable lube (that stuff is the best!). Hopefully that helps along with exercise.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Was working on the carb sync more today. Worked on it until the fan kicked on, let her cool down for about 15 min, then went and fired it back up (I had external fans on it the whole time). A few minutes into it run into again and I lose the 3-4 coil (left one). Let it cool down a bit more searching for issues, try firing again, and back to life, but now the sync seems to be all off again!! (Hanging idle, slow to rev, grrrrr!)

Well, I'll be pulling the dyna to take a peek and might just use the opportunity to install the C5 and start fresh once again....

I've probably lost 2 lbs of sweat just in this 99 deg heat today alone!!! Can't wait to get her running, it was so close today!!!
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

biggest thing folks fail to do when working synch is blipping the throttle. After every adjustment you need to "reset" the linkage by just a simple blip or two.

wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

I blip Everytime. For what you said and also to get a better idea of how that transition is behaving.

I certainly lost a coil and got it back, but it started running like crap after the coil "came back". I'm wondering if it's the dyna module that possibly went bad. Good enough excuse to install the C5 and properly time it w/ the timing wheel before syncing again!
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Amazing how free time comes and goes.... I've been making it an effort to get a little bit of work in nightly.

Got the new coils installed and the C5 mounted w/ TDC set. I used Randakks timing wheel along with a piston indicator to verify TDC in the bore and set it as closely as I could to the middle of the top. Used the spare auxillary fuse location I had to run power to the coils and will tie the rest of the wiring up soon. (Pics attached)

Got some new plugs on order (I step cooler). Also got my silicone radiator hoses in from the UK recently. Will be swapping them later one after a coolant swap.

Will be swapping the right valve cover gasket as it has a small weep that leaves a few drops on the floor after running.

Next up will be to make a new fuel pump mount and bypass button and then install the replacement pump (switched to a facet w/ integral check valve vs the one I have w/o it).

Also need to swap over to a 100 psi oil pressure gauge and maybe move the gauge to an easier to view location.

Then get the carbs syncd and go ride it to work out the cobwebs!!
Attachments
20210630_072431.jpg
20210630_072431.jpg (140.09 KiB) Viewed 986 times
20210630_072459.jpg
20210630_072459.jpg (141.71 KiB) Viewed 986 times
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Long time no post. Still not out of the woods yet....

After syncing the carbs w/ my Carbtune, I had all "values" very close to each other, but still am having issues. I discovered the air-cutoff valve hose was not attached to the #1 carb, but this solved nothing. Checked for external vacuum leaks using some brake cleaner and heard no change in idle.

I lost my original compression numbers at some point, so I re-tested after letting the motor cool back down and got the following:

#1 - 145
#2 - 150
#3 - 140
#4 - 145

All within 15 psi of each other. Cylinders still have honing marks on the walls, so I doubt it's the rings. I know that riding it more might improve these numbers, but with how it's riding, it's quite hard to go rack up miles. I'm going to take Mike's suggestion and loosen the valves up to 0.006" vs the factory 0.004" spec and re-check to see what I get.

The C5 shouldn't need any timing corrections, but it sure seems like my timing is just slightly off given the nature of how it runs. This of there's an issue from my carb re-build. Fuel is only a few months old, fresh fuel filter, fuel pump is running well.

Any thoughts?? I don't mind pulling the heads if necessary, but if a valve job and head decking are in order, then so be it....
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

wannabridin wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:11 pm Long time no post. Still not out of the woods yet....

After syncing the carbs w/ my Carbtune, I had all "values" very close to each other, but still am having issues. I discovered the air-cutoff valve hose was not attached to the #1 carb, but this solved nothing. Checked for external vacuum leaks using some brake cleaner and heard no change in idle.

I lost my original compression numbers at some point, so I re-tested after letting the motor cool back down and got the following:

#1 - 145
#2 - 150
#3 - 140
#4 - 145

All within 15 psi of each other. Cylinders still have honing marks on the walls, so I doubt it's the rings. I know that riding it more might improve these numbers, but with how it's riding, it's quite hard to go rack up miles. I'm going to take Mike's suggestion and loosen the valves up to 0.006" vs the factory 0.004" spec and re-check to see what I get.

The C5 shouldn't need any timing corrections, but it sure seems like my timing is just slightly off given the nature of how it runs. This of there's an issue from my carb re-build. Fuel is only a few months old, fresh fuel filter, fuel pump is running well.

Any thoughts?? I don't mind pulling the heads if necessary, but if a valve job and head decking are in order, then so be it....
A Few Months Old gasoline is not acceptable :oldies :IDTS:
Last edited by gltriker on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Interesting. Ok, well bew fuel shouldn't be too much of an issue, but draining it from the tank is a royal PAIN. Siphon it is...
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

wannabridin wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:54 am Horn is installed and wired up, small thing to cross off the list.

Rethinking fuel pump location, might move it similar to the way the original wireup by cfairweather (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p_mO94 ... h1Prl/view). Don't really like the look of how it's installed currently, want it a little more hidden, so need to play around with some options.
This is just what I was searching for today, appreciate the post. Excellent build to follow by the way.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Ya, i mostly put that in there so I'd be able to reference it again in the future, haha! I still haven't gotten around to doing that, but it's on the docket...
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Should of tested the caps better when I installed them.... Welp, they're off to Scotland for new buttons!
Attachments
20211104_231756.jpg
20211104_231756.jpg (136.25 KiB) Viewed 878 times
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Got my carb tops back from Ireland, thanks John!!

Installed new float valves and seats (OEM Honda) and reset the float height. Appears that I was 2-3mm low on my first attempt, so hoping the combo of slide vac leak and lean float setting yielded the results I had when the bike was running.

I'll install a new filter too and fresh gas and once it warms up, hopefully get it going again!
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Fingers crossed!