1975 GL1000

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

1975 GL1000

Post by cfairweather »

I just stated a new project, a 1975 GL1000, and started disassembling the engine today. I figured this engine would be a good one because I bought it from a man that had it stored in his garage. Obviously, it had been outside...

Attachments
DSCN3936.JPG
DSCN3936.JPG (240.19 KiB) Viewed 659 times
DSCN3935.JPG
DSCN3935.JPG (230.58 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Last edited by cfairweather on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: New Project

Post by 5speed »

ugh..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

One cylinder, on either side?! :(
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

Yes, one on each side.
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

What a pity. I wonder what the bores would clean up like.
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

I love your optimism but the rust is very severe and not repairable. The good news is, there are lots of good parts on this engine and I have another spare. I am interested in seeing the crankshaft.
MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MikeNTexas »

That sucks! I pulled the heads on a 1100 that has been outside for 5 years and it wasn’t that bad. But this is west Texas. Probably had more sand in it than rust.
1975 GL1000 Restored (sold)
1983 GL1100 Custom (sold)
1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Another1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Geropat
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Geropat »

yikes! that's unfortunate
'81 GL1100
'85 650sc
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Maybe the bearing are good ?

Gord :roll:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

I finished disassembling the entire engine this morning and it was in excellent condition. All of the bearings were in great shape and even the pistons were nice. I also got the heads off of Engine #2 and there was some rust in the cylinders; however, this engine is usable. Engine #2 had a broken belt and a cracked/bent pully wheel. The valves were very rusty so it looks like the belt broke and the owner parked it and let it collect moisture for years. I will use parts from both engines to make a good one.
Last edited by cfairweather on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I'm with Liam, clean up the cylinders, a good honing and maybe a nice surprise? New rings? Canuckxxxx used rings from an early model Chevy Tracker - purchased from Rock Auto, standard size set in his 1100 rebuild. He did mention he would use the one size larger if he did it again. As long as the ring will float nicely in the ring groove, can adjust the diameter to suit.
Another fellow mentioned that Hasting rings can be used as well. There is a post on one of the threads about this. Good luck.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Rednaxs60 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pmsnip......
Canuckxxxx used rings from an early model Chevy Tracker - purchased from Rock Auto, standard size set in his 1100 rebuild. He did mention he would use the one size larger if he did it again. As long as the ring will float nicely in the ring groove, can adjust the diameter to suit.
The rings you purchase should be the same size as/fit the bore that you have. Going bigger would distort the ring and it would not seal correctly.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

Thanks Robin and I agree. I will probably order rings from Saber Cycle because I like their design. These rings have a thin wire in the middle of the oil ring and it prevents the ends from overlapping. I used these on a 1975 GL1000 that I restored a few months ago and was very happy with the results.

I just finished opening the cases on engine #2 and it is in amazing condition. I typically replace the primary chain when I go to the trouble of opening the cases, but I am not replacing this one because it is almost like new. I am going to add a primary chain tensioner from a 78 or later. Not sure why Honda decided not to put a tensioner on the early years.
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

one question, I see that you all know how to handle the engine as if it were a simple thing and with incredible results. but where did you learn? do they teach it at school? I am amazed every time at how good you are! Do these jobs, even total restorations, with disarming ease and simplicity! In Italy I don't know of any private person who is capable of disassembling, repairing and closing a GL engine.
Paola (Italy)
cfairweather
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cfairweather »

Paola- Thank you very much for the complement and let me first say I am not a professional mechanic or painter. I do this as a hobby and consider myself as a "Jack of all Trades - Master of None." I am 65 years old and I started riding motorcycles when I was 8 years old. I also started tinkering with bikes, cars, TVs and other things at an early age. In the beginning, I was great at taking something apart, but not so good at getting it back together :). My dad was unafraid to try anything, even if he knew nothing about it, so I learned a lot from him. He built our home and many other things. He also owned a TV shop and I worked there as a teenager. This was a great experience and I learned a lot about electronics at an early age. My parents let us grow up without the fear of failure and encouraged us to try anything. When I was in high school, I had an auto mechanics class and I was able to rebuild an engine. While I was in the Air Force, I taught myself computers, networking and programming. This allowed me to have a great career in IT for many years. I am now retired, but I still have a church software ministry and a web site where people can download my software ( www.ChurchWare.com ). To be successful at anything, you have to be a good problem solver, have high standards and be tenacious. Try doing something you don't know anything about and remember that failure is part of the learning process. Thank you again for your kind words.
Cedric