'82 - Cabernet

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: '82 - Cabernet

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

It looks like I might need to pull the '82 GL1100 Cabernet off my "in the stable and ridable" list, over clutch and starter clutch issues.

Last weekend, I headed over to the storage spot where I've been keeping Cabernet since just before Christmas. I drained the bowls, pulled the battery, and tucked her in for the cold months. I rode my ST through winter. (Last winter, I rode Cabernet through winter. While the starter clutch was always question in super cold weather, the clutch was not.)

On my first effort to start her, the starter engaged the engine. OK. Second crank and I got the dreaded no starter clutch engaging sound. Over and over. It was probably in the 40s. OK. I figure I'll pop start her using the slight hill right near the unit, get her running and warmed up. That'll loosen things. I pull the clutch lever and drop her in first, but I can't move the engine at all. Back to neutral.

I wheeled her back to the unit, tied a rag around the clutch lever to keep it pulled in for the week. My hope was that the clutch plates would free up over the week.

This morning, while out on the Blue Phoenix's first ride of 2023, I swung over to the unit to see if I could make headway on Cabernet. Again, the starter clutch did engage for half a sec on the first start effort. After that, I got just starter chain rotation noise - or I think that's what that awful sound is. (You know it!) And no progress on freeing up the clutch plates either.
It was maybe 45-50 degrees.

I know: starter clutch service requires me to pull the motor. The clutch can be serviced with the motor in situ, but it's a bit tight up in there. I'm not eager for either, as I have other projects in queue for the work space.

I had been pondering the sale of Cabernet later this season.

I'm really, truly hoping I can get both issues sorted with a little warmer weather. It's my summer surf bike, after all.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bang!

I rode over to the storage unit to give 'er an Easter Sunday go. I pushed Cabernet up the hill and attempted a pop start - about 5 times. (If you've not pushed a 600 pound bike up a hill over and over, let me report that it's a workout.) One big issue is that I needed to get fuel from the tank back into the bowls, and that takes cranking if you're not prepared to pump fuel into the carbs post-pump. I didn't bring equipment for that effort. No go on the pop starting.

I let her sit in the sun for about 15 minutes, then tried the starter again. I found that if I hit the starter for a second or two, then came off the button and back on, I could get the starter clutch to engage. 3 tries, and I had her running!

I warmed her up for a few minutes before running laps around the storage facility in first, and into second gear. Easter Sunday turned out to be a pretty busy day, oddly. I think there were more renters there than I've ever seen. Anyway, the clutch plates seem back in order and fine.

I parked the Blue Phoenix in the storage unit and rode Cabernet over to a local garage to top off the tire pressure after months in storage. The front tire was down about 15 psi; the rear held pretty well over winter.

Cabernet is running well, with great throttle response, no flat spots or hesitation, no popping off throttle from even 4-5k, shifting is nice, and good braking. Ahh. (My Suzuki '78 GS750 is another story. Dialing in those carbs is killing me. But I digress.)

It's good to ride a GoldWing. 40+ years old and going strong.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Wow, sweating just reading about pushing Cabernet around and up a hill. Glad you got the clutch worked out and such. Interested in what you find out about the starter clutch as that seems strange to me.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fred. Not much to report, as I'm not pulling the motor until the starter clutch really does stop engaging. Since I got her going, I've not struggled to get her to start, which is a good thing to be reporting.

I've put about 100 miles and maybe 8 starts on the bike this week: Twist throttle, pull choke, turn petcock, push button. She starts immediately. She's running like a champ.

Maybe it was the winter lay up. I know that my wings do have starter clutch issues at times in cold weather. Usually, a second or third try works to get it to engage. I've had to pop start on occasion.

I'll pour in some ATF when I get close to an oil change and run her easy to get a little detergent up in that area.

Active Project(s)

Sold
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

And they take Gords advice for a couple tanks.

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm into tank 2 since I pulled her out of storage. No start up issues, and nothing but good riding. I think I just needed to fling a bit of oil up into the starter clutch area.

Active Project(s)

Sold
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Sounds good. Might wasn't to try some seafoam for a tank just to ensure she is cleaned out.

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Just before your next oil change, try a couple of ounces of Seafoam in the crankcase. Don’t run it hard, but let it slosh around for a few minutes before you drain it. Sometimes helps. Search the site for more thoughts … common problem

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

I run Seafoam through the tank once in a while, and I use it for the winter storage. I've added transmission fluid to the case before an oil change to try to get some grime out of the starter clutch area. I can try Seafoam.

I've had the bike for about 18 months and put about 8k on it. I've had starter clutch issues on/off when it gets cold. It's a thing. I rode the bike through the winter of '21-2 and sometimes pop started it either to get out of the driveway or at the office. Usually, it cranked on the second or third try.

Fingers staying crossed here, as I've not had a single issue with the starter clutch since I got her running after taking her out of winter storage.

Active Project(s)

Sold

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”