one week since purchase, 77 GL1000

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

bringenufgun
Tin Member
Tin Member

one week since purchase, 77 GL1000

Post by bringenufgun »

okay,
not much of a hands on mechanic, but have been making baby steps.
after i got it home rode it around my neighborhood. sketchy, i know but had to. gave me a little direction. the seller put a new battery in it, saved me a few bucks.
for the life of me i can't rebuild/clean a set of carbs to save my life. single and two carbs though, no problem. the po had them done a few years back after he took over stewardship of the bike from his dad. had the carbs done, timing belts, tires and a few other things.
got on line and found "the motorcycle project" and tried the mixture screw removal and infusion of carb cleaner and also through the short fuel lines, helped tremendously. changed the oil and filter yesterday, had been a while for this old girl. of course no washer, but i found one in a big tin cookie bin that weighs about twenty pounds that i have been throwing motorcycle hardware in for decades.
no tail light, instrument lights, oil light, temp gauge, high beam indicator all had me concerned after reading over wiring issues in this forum. looked for loose connections, burnt terminals, frayed wires, that sort of thing. duh, it was the fuses, couldn't believe i got so lucky.
gave her a good detailed bath, and a coat of wax. next up, timing belts replacement. gonna have to farm that one out. don't want to screw it up. so far, so good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: one week since purchase, 77 GL1000

Post by desertrefugee »

Really nice looking motorcycle. You'll enjoy that one.

I'm never one to leave something alone, but that black beauty is begging for a lower handlebar. (Again, that's just me) Google superbike bars.
'86 Vmax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 CB750K

- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Great looking motorcycle! Welcome to the Club tumb2
Cliff

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MikeNTexas »

Sweet! Must have been kept out of the weather most of its life.
1975 GL1000 (it’s a keeper)
1983 GL1100 Custom (sold)
1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Another1976 GL1000 Project in the works
NotSoLilCrippseys
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Yowza! Looks great.

I'm with desertrefugee on the bars. Not sure I'd go superbike, but something in the 5-7" rise zone could give a nice, sporty look and encourage a bit more of an upright position to go with the saddle.

The timing belts are easy, peasy. Really. Budget part of a morning and you'll be done before you know it. Take your time, check thrice, and put the labor $ saved toward some bars and other goodies.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our Winter '21 GL1100I gone naked.
bringenufgun
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by bringenufgun »

desertrefugee wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:16 pm Really nice looking motorcycle. You'll enjoy that one.

I'm never one to leave something alone, but that black beauty is begging for a lower handlebar. (Again, that's just me) Google superbike bars.
lower bars are in the future. had right shoulder replacement surgery back in February, these feel good for now.
i'm a low bar guy from way back. pic of my 72 H2 from 1977. also a well preserved Honda SOHC street racer from the 70's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Even Nicer! Got the Russ Collins pipe on there! That was (is) one of the best. Big boy ignition. Sheesh.

My current CBX sports an RC Eng set! And small world. I'm reliving those days such that I recently acquired a nice K5.
IMG_0866.jpg
Last edited by desertrefugee on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
bringenufgun
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by bringenufgun »

couple more of "Night Moves".
picked it up in central Il. from the son of the guy who built it. had to dodge tornado's all the way home with my wife on the phone telling me a safe way across the river back into mo. the old man stored it right, gas drained from the carbs and tank. put fuel in it, was missing the chain took a big 630 one. happened to have a brand new one from a few GS1150 Suzukis i've owned so an hour later i was ridin'.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Did you have that bike up for sale recently? Seems I saw a photo of it in the very recent past. Quite the machine.

bringenufgun
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by bringenufgun »

no,
sold it to a guy in AZ probably seven/eight years ago.
have bought and sold vintage bikes for the past twenty five years. got into it right before its zenith in the early 2000's. made a lot of money, ended up doing it full time for ten years. found them on CL (pre FB Marketplace),motorcycle forums, word of mouth. stayed 500 miles or less from my house. 90% went straight to ebay and usually repatriated overseas. Great Britain, Australia, Japan, Mideast, South America. Japanese, German, Italian, British bikes. used to do 50-60 bikes a year. i was like a fireman, ready to go within minutes of contact made with seller. ramps/straps in truck, full tank of gas, cash in the safe.
few other Gold Wings that passed through my hands.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I thought I had seen that thing! It's for sale in Texas as we speak!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/m ... 4.html
Screenshot_20210730-212441.png
Screenshot_20210730-212759.png

bringenufgun
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by bringenufgun »

glad to see its still around. sold it around 2015 after having a riot with it over the summer. bike nights and terrorizing the local municipalities aboard it.
everyone loved the lumpy idle, smell of VP racing 103 octane, and the glorious sound of the Russ Collins open header. fun times.
sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by sparkyrasmus »

That 77 is sure a beauty.
Goldwings don't accelerate, they gain inertia.

1978 GL1000 - almost stock - needs a head replaced, parts are ready to install!
1979 GL1000 - Winter project - custom "Busted"
1983 GL1100 Standard- raised from the dead and back to organ donor status :cry:
1998 V11 EV Moto Guzzi - 65th birthday present, getting new brake lines - up for sale
And the newest acquisition, 1979 XS 650F to be a sidecar tug. crossy.gif
bringenufgun
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by bringenufgun »

definitely needs a water pump, it sounds like a jar of marbles being shaken. popped the radiator cap and no coolant flow. fan thermal switch is inop too.in addition to timing belts for peace of mind. then carb rebuild and brake system freshening.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I am a bit picky. I also acquire and "occasionally" actually sell motorcycles. Being a lazy type, I much prefer a solid starting point to a 30-year rust bucket Barn find. It's a pleasure working on a piece of history that has survived. I do not mind at all performing expected, routine maintenance to bring one back to top shape. I am not a fan of scraping rat feces, rust and who knows what other manifestations of decades of neglect.

This 77 certainly fits that category.

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”