Thing 2

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Thing 2

Post by gltriker »

Pb9717 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:04 pm Thing2.jpegOk and now for something completely different......

- Cold exhaust from right exhaust pipe.
- engine sound as if some cylinders are not firing
- hot exhaust from left side exhaust pipe
- no change in idle when right hand wires are pulled. have you pulled those spark plugs out of the cylinder head
- Right hand carbs show fuel in bowls via back out of drain screw. both had gas weeping when backed out partially
- Separated wires on right side from each other to test individually. Both show spark at end of plug when removed and observed. Both make arcing sound when connector put in proximity of installed plug. .again- have you pulled those spark plugs out of the cylinder head
- If I remove the left hand bank spark plug connections she immediately shuts down. So it appears the left side is the only working cylinders.
- compression is 150-180 psi in every cylinder confirmed with a cylinder compression testing gauge?
-

So.... I have spark, I have air, I have fuel in the bowls on the right side....so.....

WHY IS THE RIGHT EXHAUST COLD? WHY IS THERE NO IGNITION (combustion heat?) AS FAR AS I CAN TELL ON THAT SIDE, BUT I HAVE SPARK/FUEL/AIR? WHAT AM I MISSING?

My gut tells me that the other issue with the rattling on deceleration may become minimized if the bike is running properly.

If you had indicated there is no compression in those unresponsive cylinders I would immediately say their camshaft timing belt was broken.
Didn't you say you had dynamically idle speed synchronized the carburetors on this engine with a carb tune pro?
Yes? Go back and recheck if the synchronization readings have changed. don't argue... ;)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Pb9717
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pb9717 »

- Cold exhaust from right exhaust pipe.
- no change in idle when right hand wires are pulled. have you pulled those spark plugs out of the cylinder head YES. THERES IS CONFIRMED SPARK TO THE PLUGS.
- Right hand carbs show fuel in bowls via back out of drain screw. both had gas weeping when backed out partially
- Separated wires on right side from each other to test individually. Both show spark at end of plug when removed and observed. Both make arcing sound when connector put in proximity of installed plug. .again- have you pulled those spark plugs out of the cylinder head YES. INDIVIDUALLY. THEY BOTH HAVE SPARK
- If I remove the left hand bank spark plug connections she immediately shuts down. So it appears the left side is the only working cylinders.
- compression is 150-180 psi in every cylinder confirmed with a cylinder compression testing gauge? YES.
-

So.... I have spark, I have air, I have fuel in the bowls on the right side....so.....

WHY IS THE RIGHT EXHAUST COLD? WHY IS THERE NO IGNITION (combustion heat?) THERE IS NO COMBUSTION OCCURING ON THE RIGHT BANK OF CYLINDERS.

[/quote]If you had indicated there is no compression in those unresponsive cylinders I would immediately say their camshaft timing belt was broken.THE BELTS ARE NEW INSTALLED 2 WEEKS AGO
Didn't you say you had dynamically idle speed synchronized the carburetors on this engine with a carb tune pro? YES. LAST WEEK.
Yes? Go back and recheck if the synchronization readings have changed. don't argue... ;) Sure.
[/quote]

OK. Im also going to pull the ignition wires on the left hand bank, and with only the right cylinder bank ignition wires connected, I will spray some starter fluid in the plenum. If she fires, I know its a fueling issue. My gut says she will.
(2) 82' GL1100's
99' Triumph Thunderbird Sport 900
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Cincinnati OH USA
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

:-D Hoping it gives you a good report! 👍

An internal combustion engine's 3 requirements to start and run are:

1 Cyĺinder *Compression*
2 Fuel source
3 Ignition source
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Pb9717 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:48 am - Cold exhaust from right exhaust pipe.
- no change in idle when right hand wires are pulled. have you pulled those spark plugs out of the cylinder head YES. THERES IS CONFIRMED SPARK TO THE PLUGS.
- Separated wires on right side from each other to test individually. Both show spark at end of plug when removed and observed. Both make arcing sound when connector put in proximity of installed plug. .again- have you pulled those spark plugs out of the cylinder head YES. INDIVIDUALLY. THEY BOTH HAVE SPARK
- compression is 150-180 psi in every cylinder confirmed with a cylinder compression testing gauge? YES.
-

So.... I have spark, I have air <<< please! say Compression I have fuel in the bowls on the right side....so.....

WHY IS THE RIGHT EXHAUST COLD? WHY IS THERE NO IGNITION (combustion heat?) THERE IS NO COMBUSTION OCCURING ON THE RIGHT BANK OF CYLINDERS.

If you had indicated there is no compression in those unresponsive cylinders I would immediately say their camshaft timing belt was broken.THE BELTS ARE NEW INSTALLED 2 WEEKS AGO
Didn't you say you had dynamically idle speed synchronized the carburetors on this engine with a carb tune pro? YES. LAST WEEK.
Yes? Go back and recheck if the synchronization readings have changed. don't argue... ;) Sure.
[/quote]

OK. Im also going to pull the ignition wires on the left hand bank, and with only the right cylinder bank ignition wires connected, I will spray some starter fluid in the plenum. If she fires, I know its a fueling issue. My gut says she will.
[/quote]
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

gltriker wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 am
-

So.... I have spark, I have air <<< please! say Compression I have fuel in the bowls on the right side....so.....

If you had indicated there is no compression in those unresponsive cylinders I would immediately say their camshaft timing belt was broken.THE BELTS ARE NEW INSTALLED 2 WEEKS AGO
[/quote]
[/quote]

Always be very careful when introducing combustible liquids into the air intake of a carburetor, while cranking the engine.
If there is a lean fuel backfire into the air filtering area where a combustible liquid has puddled... There will be
:flamer
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

gltriker wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:54 pm
gltriker wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 am
-

[/quote]

Always be very careful when introducing combustible liquids into the air intake of a carburetor, while cranking the engine.
If there is a lean fuel backfire into the air filtering area where a combustible liquid has puddled... There will be trouble

Sitting here now thinking what other jackleg troubleshooting questions I can push at you this afternoon. :lol:

This one is more pro-active than just another guess would be. ;)

Have you removed the air filter element to observe if there is any backfiring into the plenum while the engine is idling? If yes, and not caused by an uncooperative intake valve allowing blow back into the plenum, a very lean fuel mixture will cause backfiring into the plenum.
That very high pressure (and temperature) spike will be translated as a quick blip on your synchronizing test equipment.
Depending upon how violent it is , especially with the throttle shutter opened and the engine revving freely, the vacuum piston (ok, slide) can be violently propelled into its vacuum piston cover and fractured.

[/quote]
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
Pb9717
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pb9717 »

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KwRPERCwvkA

So, I tried the right cylinder bank solo test and lo and behold, it started. Right hand exhaust got good n hot. I then reconnected the left side ignition wires, and started it again. Ran like a top. Took to for a ride. Hunky dory. No rattle, smooth acceleration. Performed normally.

Fast forward to this evening. Started again. Right cylinder bank, Ice cold. Went thru the same procedure ( isolate right cylinder bank, start engine, right side ignites, reconnect left cylinder bank, engine runs normally. )

This pretty much indicates the issue is spark. Im going to replace the ignition wires with brand new ones and swap in a different pair of GL1500 coils.

I’ll also re-check the sync on the carbs. But I’m hoping we’ve pinned down our culprit as some intermittent issue with the ignition system.
(2) 82' GL1100's
Cincinnati OH USA
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

😑
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
Pb9717
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pb9717 »

Reviving this thread to tell the story of the GL1100 that refused to run well.

Ive got hundreds of hours of diagnosing and labor as well as thousands in parts into this bike. Ive had to now for 18 months. Its had the carbs done 5 times. Twice by me, and three times by a mechanic. The first time I took them out and brought them to him to save some money. He rebuilt them. $800. I reinstalled them, bike ran like crap. Gave him the bike, said….fix it. He took them out, said “ for some reason all the pilot jets were clogged” Couldn’t explain why. I had replaced the fuel and fuel filter before installing this carbs. He said..”once the bike is out of our shop, we don’t know what’s been done to it”…so, He clears the jets, $800. He tells me to come pick up the bike. I go there, he starts it. Tons of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, fuel pouring on the ground. He says “ Floats must be stuck, I don’t know how this happened”. I Laughed. Said “ Welcome to Satans Goldwing” … He said, “ I’ll fix it now charge” I said ..”No kidding” ..

Couple weeks later send me a vid of th bike running smooth. “Come pick it up”. I go get it, it starts, runs ok. Tells me “ this has to warm up. It won’t run well until it does”…

Now I have a 2nd identical GL1100 (Thing1) that I did all the work on. It runs like a dream. Starts instantly, idles smooth even when I ice cold. I just followed the Randakk’s book when rebuilding the carbs and it works wonderfully. Until I put them in Thing 2. They made thing 2 run the same as thing 1. Beautifully. So I knew thing 2’s issue was carbs. Then I put them back in thing 1, and now thing 1 doesn’t run. My gut tells me, theyre clogged, the same as what happened to the carbs I had rebuilt. My assumption is that the fuel pump has a degrading bladder and its sending debris to the carbs.

So back to thing 2…..

I tell the mechanic not to run it too excessively, I think the 45 year old fuel pump is putting debris into the carbs. I go pick it up, and he’s running it. To get it warm. To show me how smooth it is. Facepalm.

I shut it off, take it home. Put a new fuel pump in it. Start it up. Idles like crap. Banging, clanking. A goddamn disaster.

Thing 1’s carbs made thing 2 run beautifully. So I know the issue was the carbs.

So my question is….Is there someone in the greater Cincinnatti area, that can make this bike run as good as thing 1? I have zero desire to even touch this bike. I just wanna make it run great, and sell it. I know I’ll be taking a loss, but I just don't care.

The kicker is…its stunningly beautiful, has new EVERYTHING, and is almost a show bike. The pictures above show exactly how it looks. I’ll be finishing running the valve covers thru the buffing wheel this weekend. The only thing left is to get it to run smoothly. But I don’t have it in me any more to deal with this bike.

Anybody know a guy? Northern KY, CIncinnatti? I’ll trailer it to whoever need to see it.

Hit me back with any suggestions
(2) 82' GL1100's
Cincinnati OH USA
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

roɓìn1731 ?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Cliff

previous rides:
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Robin would be my suggestion as well
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Pb9717
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Pb9717 »

Thank you for the referral....I am in touch with Robin. Hopefully, together , we can bring this to a happy conclusion.
(2) 82' GL1100's
Cincinnati OH USA
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Sheesh.

I had thought Thing 1 and Thing 2 were rockin' and rollin' as a matched set. I guess I lost track of the headaches.

That's awful.

The bike itself is beautiful.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets