1977 gl1000

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: 1977 gl1000

Post by Whiskerfish »

Did you do the compression test with the throttle held wide open? That makes a big difference. Do you have more than 1 old wing? Often when chasing an issue like this I swap the entire carb rack from a good running bike just to verify the cause before I start running in circles.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Apinkston
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Apinkston »

When I did the compression test I didn’t do it with the throttle open. I haven’t heard of that before and I figured I didn’t need to but I will retest with open throttle. And I don’t have a spare wing to test on. This one is my first and only and I don’t have the room to get another or to even get a good engine to keep aside. I have another carb set but it is salvage
Apinkston
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Apinkston »

Ran the compression test once again with throttle open. Each cylinder was getting 135 psi except cyl3 which had 120psi. Ran a leak down test, and all cylinders except #3 were under 20% leak. Cyl3 had 60% leak. My gauge doesn’t specify if it’s valve or rings, but it was in the moderate zone. Still I’m not so sure it’s in the cylinders. Cyl3 exhaust has been warming up when I run the bike. Not as hot as the others but it’s not cold. I got some firing at higher rpms. I’m taking my carbs into a shop who was willing to try their hand at it, but how much of a headache is piston rings?
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

You did the heads right? including a lap on the valves? That reduces them as a possible cause. Me I would probably try to give it a couple hundred miles and redo the Comp test/ leak down and see how it responds.

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But, if you used a leakdown tester the gauge will not tell you where the "leak" is. You have to listen at the end of the exhaust, near the air intake, and at the crankcase breather.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Apinkston
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Apinkston »

Thanks for the ease of worry. I did lap the valves when I did the heads. I might have messed up one but all the others hold up well. I did not hear anything from the exhaust but there was a small puddle of gas in #3 exhaust. I will continue to run the engine when I can but it’s going to be a solid minute until this bike is on the road. I still need to do tires and brakes at best. Just a tad bit of carb work too since it won’t hold idle too long
Apinkston
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Apinkston »

Ran the engine yesterday and was pleased for the most part. I believe I got cyl 3 to pick up with the choke on and once the engine was warm enough it stayed going at a fast idle. Here is the link to the video I took and at the end you can hear the cylinder drop as the idle drastically changes. I didn’t have any hands on the bike when it dropped either. Please note that there are only headers on the exhaust and no Hpipe or mufflers at the moment
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx1_p1sPwWA
Apinkston
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Apinkston »

I forgot to mention earlier that I had drained the oil after everything. The oil is a dark mud brown in color, nothing floating in it, but does smell of gas when I put my nose up to it. Is it normal for gas to seep in on these old wings or do I most definitely have broken piston rings? This bike has never wanted to cooperate and if it is piston rings I’m going to have to junk the whole thing. No interest in a 2nd tear down
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

If there is an excess of gas in the top of the cylinders it WILL get past the rings. That is one of the reasons we harp about shutting off the petcock when the bikes are parked. If a float or float valve sticks (or is poorly adjusted) and it allows fuel to overflow in the bowls it will drain into the jugs and can hydrolock the engine resulting in bent con rods, or diluted oil. So if you feel like there is gas contamination in the oil the very first suspect is unfortunately still a Carb issue.

RogueCreature
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by RogueCreature »

have you been working on your project at all?
1977 GL1000
Some have said i have the patience of a rock. I know myself to well to say the same.
Apinkston
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Apinkston »

RogueCreature wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:59 pm have you been working on your project at all?
Unfortunately I have not. Last summer (2022) I hurt my back and could not manage working on the bike with the setup I had. Shortly after, cylinder 3 started dying on idle and made the whole bike sound like a tractor. I also couldn’t get the clutch to work and with that being the icing on the cake I decided to get rid of the bike. Looking back I wish I didn’t, but I also didn’t have the space to hold onto something I wasn’t using.
However, I want to get back into the goldwings. This time with a Valkyrie. The Valkyrie has always intrigued me since I found out about them, and I’m looking at one online. I wanted to ask if you guys have any experience with them? I know they’re basically goldwings just with two more cylinders, but this one is also 20 years newer than the gl I’m familiar with so I know there’ll be a difference. Any opinions on the Valkyrie good or bad, I’m all ears.
And sorry for just disappearing from here
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Many have Valks on here and all seems to think they are great. So if you get one, let us know.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
digger
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by digger »

Also, if you get a Valkyrie, make sure to shut off the petcock when parked, with six carburetors you have an even greater chance of a hydrolock and/or fuel leaking down into the crankcase. They are wonderful bikes, but I just can’t afford one at the moment or it would be in my garage. :(
1975 GL1000
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Valks are great, but the carbs can be slightly fickle....They do not like to sit very long. There are some things you can do to them to reduce the threat of hydrolock, which I recommend get done if it hasn't been done before. They are big bikes, your 77 would feel small if you could switch back and forth.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Apinkston
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Apinkston »

Thanks for the heads up. I saw this one Valkyrie build where they put carbs from a 68 Porsche on velocity stacks on the bike. Genuinely made the bike sound like a Porsche so that was something I wanted to look into. My first objective however is just to get it running and driving on its own power. The listing says it has a NOS port setup so I’m a little skeptical but I won’t know until I rip it apart