'79 Wing and a Prayer

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: '79 Wing and a Prayer

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

This bike is clearly going to be a ginger, so she'll now be known as Ginger - Ginger Lynn.

What's the GL stand for anyway? I've read Great Leap, which I like - except for the not-so-pleasant association with Chairman Mao's Great Leap Forward. There's Grande Luxe. Go Long. Get Lost. And...

Ginger Lynn.

I took advantage of the 75-degree day on Saturday to spray the clear over my shiny orange panels, which of course made them shiny!
PXL_20230506_180906375.jpg
PXL_20230506_180906375.jpg (264.13 KiB) Viewed 661 times
The left side cover will need some sanding and a respray, as the wind kicked up and blew some plastic onto it while it was still tacky. it looks great, but a close inspection reveals some imperfections I'll deal with in about a week.

I'm going to let the clear cure a bit before a wet sand and polish, which needs to happen before I affix the Honda badges to the shelter sides.

But I rolled her out of the shed - finally - and bolted on the panels for a "dress rehearsal" of sorts.

And I snuck her out for a little 5-mile run down the road and back. I've got a little stumbling, rough running under load below maybe 3k. (I need a new battery still, and perhaps I got some gunk got into an idle jet or two - or something else.) Above 3k, she starts to come on and there was no shortage of power for the roads I was on. Shifting was good - up and down.

And the brakes work quite well. I have quite a bit more pedal movement than I want before the rear MC engages. I have to look into that situation, but I don't think it's air or a failure of the MC - I have a brake and it's not spongy feeling.

The riding position is relatively aggressive; time will tell if it ends up being rough on the wrists and arms.

I think registration will happen this week.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Teaser photo.
PXL_20230507_145204078.jpg
PXL_20230507_145204078.jpg (283.72 KiB) Viewed 655 times
The emblems aren't mounted yet, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to apply a GL decal to the side panels to break up the orange a bit. But it's looking nice.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

if you are running the 79 carbs they typically do not have stumble issues. I think the first thing I would check is the CV slide operation. They need to move like silk on silk.

She looks Great!!! action1 action1 action1 action1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Very nice you beat me to it by posting the teaser pic, was just about to ask. Looks great and you are going to love the gunfighter. Have one on my 78 and they sit nice and look great IMHO
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

On the stumble, I'm not sure it's still there. I AM having some hiccups dialing in the clutch/throttle from a stop, but part of that seems to be an overly low idle rpm - easy fix with a screwdriver that I should make on Tuesday.

I plated the bike this morning and rode her to the office and back, with some detours through local twisties. Here's an admittedly early report:

It's a sporty posture with the sport bars, to be sure, and the Gunfighter really locks in my backside. I'm more "in" the bike than "on" it, which inspires confidence, and the stock peg position works quite well for a compromise between older-guy comfort and folded-over hips/knees. I'm comfy with the balls of my feet or my insoles on the pegs. No pain or discomfort in a 30-minute ride, which I'll soon stretch to an hour to test the comfort and let her stretch her legs a bit.

Shifting is solid and clean, up and down. I thought the clutch lever was going to be really stiff, but I didn't find myself noticing it out on the road.

It looks and feels smaller than my GL1100s, which is funny because it's really not. My secretary came in after lunch today and commented that it's a lot smaller than my other bikes. She asked if it was a 550, which she knows my son rides.

It may merely be a perception, but the 1100s feel a bit quicker. Then again, I caught myself going, umm, "fast" earlier today, and I didn't realize I had hopped up that much. The sporty posture and locked in saddle may be part of what's going on. Who cares, really? The bike has more power available than I'll ever really need.

I'm still leaking a little oil from the coolant weep hole. Maybe she spent her younger days hanging around old Harleys and wanted to fit in? It might be slowing, but I really can't tell yet.

She's a mere 50 miles on the road after at least a few years off.

Active Project(s)

Sold
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

With lower bars, you may find rotation of the clutch perch might improve the clutch/throttle coordination. I have small hands, and have to rotate the perch so that I can get a full grip over the lever, not just fingertips. Wasn't a problem on the 1800, but all of the 1000s (all with lower bars) have required it. The Triumph will, too I'm sure. It does require mirror adjustment to about the maximum it will go, but sure gives better clutch control.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm approaching 100 miles on the bike and her new rubber.

I have some issues that I think are carb related, which I'll try to describe. I noticed none of this when the bike was on the center stand. Putting the bike under load changes a lot of things, or puts smaller issues right in your face.

There's an issue rolling out from a stop. It's a bit dodgy to be comfortable long term, especially since I'm sure it need not be that way. Some is definitely clutch/throttle coordination, but there's something more happening.

I thought most of it might be an overly low idle, but kicking it up a bit (1100-1200 rpm) this AM seemed not to solve it. I do think I may have too much play in the throttle cable, which is an easily fixable thing but probably not the cause.

It's more that I need to get the idle a bit higher than I'd like in order to keep from a stumble or stall. And that means I'm over-revving a bit, which isn't comfy in a turn into traffic from a stop. I have 2 GL1100s. This bike is in a very different category of finickiness in the clutch/throttle balance. My hands are XL glove sized, so I get good wraparound on the clutch lever.

I'm going pull the carb rack before too many more miles, which is NOT what I expected to be doing.

I'll clean the slides again to see if that helps with what I think (or think I feel) is a bit of stubbornness under about 3k. And if it's the slides, maybe that's contributing to the start from a stop challenge. I could do that cleaning without fully pulling the rack. But...

#2 carb has an intermittent fuel leak. It's not consistent, and I have yet to trace it to either the bowl gasket or the drain screw.

To accentuate the positive: The bike is a lot of fun once she's rolling, and the riding position is growing on me. Also, shakedown runs are essential to sort out the things that don't quite show up on the lift. I shouldn't be surprised to have some tweaking to do.

Active Project(s)

Sold
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Check that the vacuum port to the top of the slides is full open and that you don't have leaks around the "buttons". And, check the Randakk's note on aire jet position.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Lucien Harpress wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:02 pm snip-
Not messing with the idle mix screws for now to eliminate variables is good, but once you get there here was my experience. The idle mix screws on these bikes don't seem to do a whole lot, honestly. I was told to set them at 3 turns out and leave them.
It's what I did, and it's seemed to work just fine.
Just some food for thought once you get to that point.
I may not have located in your posts that the carburetors have been completely disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and refurbished with quality parts.
I gather you haven't after reading your post#187, from yesterday.

Haven't seen any mentions of setting valve lash clearances, nor dynamic cylinder compression testing results. Yes. I must have not read far enough.

Mike Nixon's recommendation to set valves at 0.006inch and set air/fuel pilot screws 3 full turns out from seated, works.
No it doesn't foul spark plugs.
From my experience with my '75 , the bike's low speed manners are enhanced.
Your engine needs the 'extra' fuel and dynamic compression to act strongly when pulling away from the curb. Parking lot manners.
Yes, the paint is attractive.

Done
Last edited by gltriker on Wed May 10, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Lucien Harpress
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Lucien Harpress »

Best way to ride a 1000 is to keep the revs up. They can be a bit tubby under 3k, but wind them up over 5k and you'll be surprised how much they wake up.
1997 Valkyrie- Light Cutomization, but Too Busy Riding
1980 KZ1300- Bike's Haunted
1976 GL1000 (Yellow)- It Runs (Poorly) and Doesn't Leak (Mostly)
1974 Velosolex 3800- Better Than Walking
1972 CB750- Broke the Chain And Ate the Motor
1969 CT90- The Most Fun You Can Have on 90ccs.
1965 CA77 Dream- Needs a Full Teardown, but Complete

All advice I give is only valid until an expert corrects me.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

somewhere I have Ginger Lynn's autograph
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sheesh! I had NO IDEA that I had named the bike after an "adult film actress." I just googled the name after reading about Rodger's autograph - presumably in a box somewhere. I suppose that says something about me? Everyone can have a laugh now.

On to the bike itself.

There's a lot of input here. I spent about an hour typing the other night, walked away from my computer to get a drink, hit submit - and found that I had been logged out of the site. Lots of typing lost. I went to bed.
  • On the carbs, I did NOT rip them all apart and do the full monty, which is generally recommended. I did pull the jets, flush, etc. If I have ongoing issues, I'll consider the real deal. I didn't even know if I'd get the bike to run when I had a motor that wouldn't budge. I have determined that on the side stand, I get some leakage out of bowl #2, so the carbs must come out. While there, I'll also make sure to polish the slides to help ensure that's not what had me feeling a little stumble between 1k and about 2800 rpm - though I think that's mostly gone.
  • Tubby. I like it. I can tool around behind traffic comfortably enough around 2k, but it's not the bike's sweet spot. Of course, it's not a sweet spot for the 1100s I have either.
  • I'm getting the launch to work a bit better: throttle/clutch work is getting dialed in; I bumped up the idle to about 1100, which seems to have helped a good bit.
  • Clutch. I'm playing around with the cable adjustment a bit. I had it to spec, I'm pretty sure. But I've been thinking that maybe I'm feeling a hint of minor clutch shudder just before I fully release the clutch at launch. Then the other evening I took her out for a super spirited straightaway ride and pushed her up to redline in third and again in fourth, moving to fifth at an unnamed speed. (There's some torque and speed in this bike.) I had unmistakable clutch slippage somewhere up around 7k+, as the tach climbed and the speedo didn't match it. It's not slipping at all in any gear under normal, even normal spirited riding. I'm not normally pushing so hard and shifting up around 7k. I have read that these bikes' power can overwhelm the clutch in hard riding conditions, and I was really on it when the slippage happened. Perhaps it's the beginning of the end for the clutch. I'll try a good flush with some diesel or seafoam just before my 1000 mile oil change and keep a feel out for a worsening situation. I think Lucian was the one who suggested about a year ago that I do the clutch while the motor was on the bench. Maybe he was prescient. In the meantime, I'll be toying with the cable tension a bit to see if it addresses things on launch.

Active Project(s)

Sold
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

NotSoLilCrippseys wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:27 pm Sheesh! I had NO IDEA that I had named the bike after an "adult film actress."
anim-cheers1
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Glamour photos are coming soon, I promise.

I'm rapidly closing in on the the first 1000 miles.

After work I took her out for a 130 mile run out to New Hampshire and back, putting about 160 miles on the bike today.

Here's what I can report:
  • She's happy running at left/center lane highway tourer speeds
  • No issues doing the ton(+) and holding it - aside from the very real issues of general safety, defensive riding, and speed traps
  • Rear pegs make for reasonable highway-riding use, putting me in more of a tuck without funny hunchback-and-chin-on-tank positioning.
  • Aside from discomfort at the knees after 75 minutes in the saddle while on the rear pegs, the ride is comfy
  • I never have too much weight on my wrists or arms - assisted, of course, by the wind
  • I think I'm on tank 4, with a top off somewhere in there. Tanks 2 and 3 yielded good 40 mpg ratings over about 4 gallons. It's clear from today's ride that running at 5k or so for a solid stretch will put a dent in that economy. It's not precise, but I think I came in closer to 35 mpg on the run out to New Hampster - based on the 2 gallon near top off and 75 miles on the tripmeter. I could almost watch the fuel gauge creep down. (List item #2 above may help to explain how sipping becomes gulping.)
I have yet to pull the rack to sort out the leak from the #2 bowl and polish the slides. I'm keeping her on the center stand exclusively now, which takes that leak out of the equation. My little oil leak continues - no worse, probably no better.

Active Project(s)

Sold
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

I've pulled up one of the "before" photos to place it alongside the "after" shots.
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 2.18.03 PM (1).png
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 2.18.03 PM (1).png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 412 times
It's easy to sort of lose a sense of what a left-for-whatever bike looked like before you spent months turning it into something that works well and looks good.

The Vetter fairing sold a long time ago, helping me finance some little bits of the build. The guy who bought it was clearly a "Vetter guy," as he was super happy about the stereo option in it, the condition, etc. He was all over it, and I was happy not to see it heading to a landfill. I don't believe I sold the rack/sissy bar, but it's tough to remember - what with the others I have (and have sold). No local takers (yet!) on the Corbin leather king/queen.

Now, the new-to-me Corbin gunfighter is just right on this bike. I'm really pleased with that addition and glad I drove to Massachusetts to pick it up.
PXL_20230524_185950410.jpg
PXL_20230524_185950410.jpg (353.58 KiB) Viewed 412 times
PXL_20230524_190013844.jpg
PXL_20230524_190013844.jpg (351.17 KiB) Viewed 412 times
PXL_20230524_190043038.jpg
PXL_20230524_190043038.jpg (359.25 KiB) Viewed 412 times
PXL_20230524_190059887.jpg
PXL_20230524_190059887.jpg (314.48 KiB) Viewed 412 times
I like where I've taken this bike. I had my ups and downs, to be sure.

Today, it got the most important seal of approval: the one from my youngest son after he took it for a Maine backroads ride for the first time.

In a day or three, we'll pull the carbs, address that leaky bowl gasket, and polish up the slides to see if that improves on what I'm thinking may be a nonissue and just a difference between the 1000s and the 1100s. She is running a bit rich. I'll likely see what I might do on that.

In another 100 miles, I'll put some Seafoam in the crankcase and run her easy for a week before a 1000-mile oil/filter change. After that, I'll move to normal intervals.

At this point, we're talking maintenance more than a build and shakedown.

Active Project(s)

Sold