Another '82 Full Dressed to Naked...

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Lowrider Bud
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Another '82 Full Dressed to Naked...

Post by Lowrider Bud »

I picked up this 1982 GL1100 Interstate last November with the intention of striping all the heavy stuff off and going to a single carb. When I got it home it ran so good I've just been riding it. It was and is a complete running bike not a basket-case like my '75 was. The brakes are good, the tank is clean, all the lights work, and the price was right.

It's a pig compared to my '75 Ol' Wing. It weighs 751 lbs. and now it's time to put it on a weight reduction plan. Took these pictures yesterday in the garage with a cheap camera. I'll try to post some pictures of my progress as I proceed.
It photographs much better than it appears in person.
It photographs much better than it appears in person.
82 GL1100 Front.JPG (122.01 KiB) Viewed 597 times
82 GL1100 Left Side.JPG
82 GL1100 Left Side.JPG (129.25 KiB) Viewed 597 times
That rear bumper must weigh 100 lbs.
That rear bumper must weigh 100 lbs.
82 GL1100 Right Rear.JPG (123.38 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Later, Bud...
Time for another Road Trip...
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: Another '82 Full Dressed to Naked...

Post by Fred Camper »

You can drop those pounds fast. Keep us updated.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Lowrider Bud
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Lowrider Bud »

Yesterday was rainy and cold (50 degrees Texas weather) so I started taking things apart/off. First I removed the windshield, a very good Markland 24" Tall. It's in very good condition so I wrapped it up and put it in a safe place.
82 Remove Windshield.JPG
82 Remove Windshield.JPG (120.54 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Then I removed the lower fairings.
82 Remove Lowers.JPG
82 Remove Lowers.JPG (123.98 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Then I got in a hurry and quick taking pictures. After four hour (took a lunch break in the middle) it looked like this.
82 Looking Better.JPG
82 Looking Better.JPG (134.83 KiB) Viewed 572 times
and here are the parts I removed. If you see anything in there you might want, 1st come - 1st served, and it's yours for postage.
82 Removed Parts 1.JPG
82 Removed Parts 1.JPG (116.48 KiB) Viewed 572 times
The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the headlight and removing the actual fairing mounting frame from the motorcycle frame.

The headlight has a tiny set screw on the adjusting knob which I had to drill out with a left-handed drill bit. then remove the knob the nut, lock washer, and flat washer and push the headlight out through the front of the fairing. Easy, NO.

Removing the mounting frame require all attached shields, plates, braces and screws be removed. Then talk your foot and push it out between the back of the front fender and the motorcycle frame. The fender is being replaced with a CB900 chrome fender.

So, boys and girls, that's what I got for now. Since today's weather doesn't look much better than yesterday's, I'm heading to the garage to remove a ballast weight and figure out which wires and no longer needed.

Later, Bud...
Lowrider Bud
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Lowrider Bud »

Got the weight and fairing wiring removed. Reconnected the remaining wires and everything ops checked okay; engine starts, etc.

Ordered headlight mounting brackets (from China) should be here before the end of the month (if I'm lucky). In the meantime I'll proceed with some of the bulk in the rear of the bike. Will probably need to order more parts as I find out what I need as I go.

Later, Bud...
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

But she is simpler and lighter already. Good progress. Should be a good stockpile of 82 Standard parts somewhere.

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
toomanybikes
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by toomanybikes »

Just in case ... Even though she was bought as a runner, when was the last time the timing belts were changed?

For me, taking the Vetter fairing off my '81 made it feel so much lighter, even though it hasn't been ridden in naked mode yet. That weight up high and in front makes a huge impact.
Greater Boston MA, USA
Stable as of 26Dec22: '81 GL1100, '10 Bonnie SE, '86 Yamaha Radian, '83 Suzuki GS650L, '14 Moto Guzzi California, '85 Honda V30 Magna
Lowrider Bud
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Lowrider Bud »

Agreed. The fairing on these old bikes just looks heavy, and removing some of the bulk should achieve a much lighter and easier to maneuver ride. As for the timing belts; the PO said they were changed by him a couple of years ago. But when the front is complete (headlight and front fender installed) I can check the belts myself. Part of my game plan is to lighten it up then put it on my lift table and do a complete service.

I have a Harley Badlander seat from a 2000 Electra Guild that I hoped would fit (with some fitment/adapting of course), but it don't. So, Now I will order a new seat from the folks in Vietnam.

I still have not decided if I should remove the saddlebags or keep them on the bike. I do like storage.

Later, Bud...
Lowrider Bud
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Lowrider Bud »

The seat from Vietnam came in last Saturday and it looks better than I expected. Only took 18 days to get it once ordered - not to bad. I'll get pictures of it soon. In the meantime I got tired of messing with the front wiring and fender fitment and moved to the back of the bike. Removed the top box, saddlebags, and huge chrome rear bumper. Now that the rear fender looked Naked I thought it would look so much better with a smaller tail light. Just happened to have one I removed from a Harley. It took a little cutting and fitting but (I think) it looks much better than original one.
Tail Light Before.JPG
Tail Light Before.JPG (98.02 KiB) Viewed 489 times
HD Tail Light.JPG
HD Tail Light.JPG (121.24 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Later, Bud...
Lowrider Bud
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Lowrider Bud »

Guess it's time for an update. Got the '82 ready for a Naked Road Test yesterday. It handles 100% better with the bulk removed. Maybe it was just getting rid of that 24" tall windshield and riding in the wind. But it's back together and here's some pictures:
82 Naked Front.JPG
82 Naked Front.JPG (114.75 KiB) Viewed 418 times
I'll be changing that front tire to something smaller so I don't have to use spacers on the shinny chrome front fender.
82 Naked LF.JPG
82 Naked LF.JPG (129.58 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Sure looks cleaner without the fairing.
82 Naked Rear.JPG
82 Naked Rear.JPG (119.3 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Harley tail light and H-D Sportster turn signals front and back.
82 Naked Seat.JPG
82 Naked Seat.JPG (118.65 KiB) Viewed 418 times
and the seat from Vietnam. It's not as comfortable as the original Goldwing seat, feels more like a Corbin for a 3rd the price.

Next step is to get out the power washer and soap and go to cleaning it up. I still have a little wire dressing to do, but I'm riding it.

Later, Bud...
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President

Post by Fred Camper »

Looking like time to ride. Love it.