ALMOST THERE 76 LTD

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: back to work on the 76 ltd

Post by rcmatt007 »

CYBORG wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:46 pm I use a thin coat of Yama-bond. Just for security
thanks
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

CYBORG wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:46 pm I use a thin coat of Yama-bond. Just for security
Yup, yamabond, hondabond, kawbond, even permatex has their own too now. All the same thing. Not regular silicone sealant though. ;)
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

got the fleabay transmission.... nice to see it has all its teeth. got that in and finally put the two halves of the case together. sliding the pistons into the left side bores was REAL FUN..... NOT!!!

Would have worked more on it but Redwood decided she wanted a fish pond and waterfall... guess who is doing most of the work!
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

rcmatt007 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:18 am then what is it (I looked on the parts fisch and it is the oil pump chain)? And yes, WF, this engine has the transmission popping out of gear issue. and since it is a LTD engine, I think worth fixing. David silver spares had left and right shift forks so I bought them.
Trust me when I tell you, you will also need gear 23491-371-000 and gear 23440-371-000. it jumps out because the dogs on
23491 get worn. If you don't fix that your new forks will last no time at all.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

John, it wasn't the forks.... it was gears that had lost teeth
-Rodger-
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Oh right, sorry! I didn't read the whole thread; just caught that you had bought new forks.
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

After all this it was clear the engine could use fresh paint. So I cleaned up the left side first to paint. Took off the chrome bolts so they would not be painted.... BAD IDEA... two bolts near the rear center hold the guard over the primary chain. Had to split the case just enough to get my fingers in and move it back into position and put the bolts back that hold it.
-Rodger-
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

The oil catcher. The primary chain throws oil into it to feed the gears on the alternator shaft.
The original 75 cases didn't have that.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

that makes sense
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I am finding I had more free time BEFORE I retired.... anyway, put oil in the bike, it appears there are no leaks.... put coolant and once again no leaks action1 spent today getting the mufflers back on. Turned the rear wheel by hand and easily shifted 1-n-2

tomorrow will get some new gas and see if the bike will fire up!
-Rodger-
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

It is when will it fire up, not if. Good Progress.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

so today I thought I drained the old gas out (not having used a petcock in a while I just got it to the reserve level :IDTS: )

added about 1.5 gallons of gas..... tried and tried and finally backed of the chock and cough cough (without turning my head) sputter sputter and sort of run if I kept the throttle on. By now I figured out i still had old gas as well.... so MAGIC SEA FOAM... a trip to the gas station and 3 fresh gallons

zoom zoom it runs. well it is idling at about 2500, so may need some adjustment. ran the carbs dry and back to adjusting tomorrow.

NO LEAKS action1 ... headers and mufflers did some smoking from the ceramic coating, but that is to be expected.
-Rodger-
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Ah nice to have the first start out of the way. Time to put some miles on and let the carbs loosen up.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

started it up again today (started a lot faster) but today the fan does not kick on... pulled the boot and hot wired it and it ran, so I am guessing a new thermostat.
Also the turn signal lights will not blink..... just another part to replace (thanks to David Silver Spares)
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

still waiting for the fan switch and turn signal blinker but thought I would post some pics. I have noticed the date codes on the tires are "4011" and "2012". These are the tires I put on it right after I got it.... time for new rubber as well.
DSC_0746.JPG
DSC_0746.JPG (235.23 KiB) Viewed 628 times
DSC_0747.JPG
DSC_0747.JPG (212.18 KiB) Viewed 628 times
DSC_0748.JPG
DSC_0748.JPG (211.74 KiB) Viewed 628 times
DSC_0749.JPG
DSC_0749.JPG (230.05 KiB) Viewed 628 times
-Rodger-

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”