to the east and back (ngw eastern run)

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

to the east and back (ngw eastern run)

Post by rcmatt007 »

Of course Oklahoma has been in a drought, and the first day of any rain was on Friday, September 16th as Beth took the 1200 from Lawton to Clarmore..... The "78" was already in Claremore, and I followed up later in the comfort of a pick-up truck.

Saturday, September 17th, up early and off we go along old 66 to Vinita, then turnpike to Joplin and we seem to be catching up with the rain. We pull into thegas station in Joplin and there is a bright flash of lightening, a crash of thunder and the lights go off, and, as Louis the 14th said, "apres moi, le deluge".

Did you know that older 4 cylinder wings run like s%^t in the pouring rain? Water seems to get EVERYWHERE. (sorry no pics of all this).

50 miles later, the rain seems to be ending and I pull into a gas station. My riding partner says, "why are you stopping? The rain is ending"..... I calmly explain that my BP med has a diuretic"

On through Missouri ahead of the rain..... across the mighty mississippi into Illionois... and sure enough, my 78 has very few miles on it!

some 450 or so miles and wespend the night in Mt vernon Illinois
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Re: to the east and back (ngw eastern run)

Post by rcmatt007 »

across lower Indiana, and we seem to skirt just past any rain, so life is good.

Cannot cross into Kentucky because the I64 bridge is out, instead bypass, then miss the exit, and through "Olde" Louisville.... some wonderful houses (but I am driving, so again, sorry no pics)

but we are ahead of the rain

into West Virginia

another 450 or so and spent the night in Charleston.... the Motel 6 is no longer on my "to do list" about 30 feet from our room was the freeway off ramp
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

rather than pay for the turnpike, we decided to wander up old Hwy 60... really a beautiful road with just enough twisties to keep you on your toes

into the shanendoah valley and Virgina

the trees were just starting to turn off in the distance

-Rodger-
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

That woman you ride with always has a smile on her face!! Whats up with that lolol lolol lolol lolol
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

rain can damping the spirit
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

soooooo

into Virginia and visiting out daughter in DC. The next morning out through that wonderful DC traffic back to the shanendoah valley, and of course, it rained ending about the time we headed down the valley. Stopping to get a HD coffee mug Beth looked at a folder on the BRP, and so we ended up calling and then staying at some cabins which were built by the CCC right near Mabry's mill. I must admit I was skeptical starting down the "road" to this set of cabins

and even more so looking across from the office

but we we in a different cabin

-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

headed off the next morning and quickly.... yes drizzle then rain. of course being in the mountains rain means you are in the clouds

so off the blue ridge, down to I40 and west to asheville... and yes.... rain

In asheville it was actually hot (and not raining, so off with the wet rain gear) and back on the BRP

and soon back toward the clouds

staring down the "STEEP AND SLOW" hill to Coruso the skys opened again.... but fortunately the rain gear was in the saddle bags and it did not get any wetter

and.... made it to the rally

saw a couple of familar wings

-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the next day, getting ready to ride, I noticed VETTER was a popular option

-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

a great two days of riding

and waterfalls
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Saturday we head off on I40 to home. Stopping at a rest area just west of Jackson Tenn, I hear my name being urgently called because smoke is coming from the tail pipes of the 1200.... and it looks like oil coming out around exhaust #4

the bike starts, and..... it is only about 5 miles to the motel 6 we were going to stop at..... so 45 mph down the freeway.

Sunday morning we pick up a u-haul truck. I detach the sidecar in the parking lot and load everything up
and we get home
and it turns out.... yeup, a blown head gasket
-Rodger-
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

Nice write up Rodger. Looks like you and Beth had a fun (wet?) ride! Wish I could have made it, maybe next year I can do the east run.
Did you know that older 4 cylinder wings run like s%^t in the pouring rain?
I have heard this time and again, but it is not my experience. When I left the Pig Tail Run in June, I hit a torrential rain in Kansas City Missouri, I had to pull off the road and take cover in a Mini Mart for a while. I was soaked to the bone, but the bike never missed a beat. Rode to Nebraska in 2010 and rode through the rain 2-up all the way through Montana, and never had a problem. Must be the drought in Oklahoma spoiling your bike? :P :lol:

p.s. Ya know, I under pressure to complete my map now . . . (thank you!)
Russ
2016 K1600GT
75 GL1000 Project

States visited by Goldwing...
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Thanks for sharing Rodger. Wish I could have made it.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Nice pictures Rodger, I'm kind of looking forward to the pictures Beth took while riding with Terrie. If some of those came out they should be pretty good.

Is the 1200 back together?
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

Thanks, Rodger, great pics and story.
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Whiskerfish wrote:That woman you ride with always has a smile on her face!! Whats up with that lolol lolol lolol lolol
What's not to smile about, crossy.gif dancr
-Rodger-