5,000 mile report

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

5,000 mile report

Post by rogue1000 »

I hit 5k on the hack since I had the engine out the end of June; a good ride out to the east hills of SLO county with the pup on Christmas Eve day...so far no issues, but its time to change the oil again and maybe check the valves...
The day after Christmas I left the house in 27 degree weather to meet up with my brother-in-law for a ride north to Salinas. The wing didn't want to fire up for the first time ever, but I usually wait until it is in the 40's to ride. I got her running and met him at my f.-in-laws 20 miles up the road, wearing glove liners w/ski gloves and a balaclava for my face. He has a 2009 HD Ultra Classic w/ heated jacket and gloves... :roll: We took off and he set his cruise control to 72mph on the 101. Well, I just couldn't stay with him in the hills at all. That big ol' Harley just rumbled on while I played catch-up on the downhill sides. Lot's of time I was running at 5k plus in fourth, which really sucked the gas!
He continued on the the Bay Area and I turned back south minus the glove liners and balaclava. This was kind of a test, so I tried to keep the hack at 70 for the 90 miles back home...it ran fine, but again, really sucked the fuel...at 65 or 60mph I'm down to 4k rpm and close to 30mpg so I think that is a good cruising speed. I did add 40# of ballast for the ride back because of the car wanting to rise more than I was comfortable with...all in all, a good run. crossy.gif
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: 5,000 mile report

Post by Hal »

Brian, What size rear wheel are you running?
I'd have thought with a smaller rear/lowered gearing you should be able to keep with a Hardley on the upgrades?
Mind you, I speak from a platform of total ignorance! :mrgreen:

Could this be someone up there telling you subtly to fit a Magnacharger?
"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ, moves on,
nor all your Piety nor Wit
can lure it back to cancel half a line...

so....probably best use Tipp-Ex in future?"

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam
1995 Harley Sportster/Buell street-tracker
1992 Grinnall Scorpion SC3 prototype
2002 Caterham SV 220 Evo (4 wheeled motorcycle) :mrgreen:

Hal's Nalbum
rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by rogue1000 »

Could this be someone up there telling you subtly to fit a Magnacharger?

..or a bigger bike! I've got a 16in. rear on, and I'm sure that any wing could keep up with him if it didn't have a sidecar attached....
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

upgrade to a 1200.... made a world of difference with our experiences with hacks
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS