First real pleasure ride on my new-to-me GL1100

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

LukeMacPU
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

First real pleasure ride on my new-to-me GL1100

Post by LukeMacPU »

I've been and ADVrider member for a few years now. Got into that when I bought my KLR... I digress.

My cousin and I took off to play some photo tag. First stop was the current tag, Putnam Park. This is a road course in rural Indiana. They host a number of events each year, most seem to be clubs and amateur races. Seems to be a nice facility.
Old tag, check!

Headed back toward the new tag... dang GPS led us through several miles of gravel. Couldn't find gravel roads on my KLR, but now that I'm on the 'Wing with my cousin riding a Soft-tail, we couldn't avoid 'em!

Arrived at the new tag a little dustier than we planned...
New tag, check!

All told, we rode about 85 miles, and it was fun. I'm really liking the GL1100 and planning a bigger trip to MI next week. My cousin was totally jealous of the comfy seat by the end of the ride. He's going to be pulling off the solo saddle and putting a more comfortable one back on his bike.

I think I'm going to regret not having a windshield before I get to MI.
ABIDE

'83 GL1100 Standard
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Re: First real pleasure ride on my new-to-me GL1100

Post by sunnbobb »

Great photos and way to go!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Nice ride!
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

So this photo tag, is this some type of game or competition on ADV rider? Thats an awesome site, BTW.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
LukeMacPU
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by LukeMacPU »

Brant wrote:So this photo tag, is this some type of game or competition on ADV rider? Thats an awesome site, BTW.
Just a game.

Starts with someone posting a photo of their bike by a landmark or in some specific location. You have to figure out where it is (usually with some hints) then ride your bike there and post a photo of your bike in the same spot. You then ride to a new spot, snap a photo of your bike and it someone else's turn to track down your "tag".

There really isn't a winner, but it's a fun way to find new spots to ride. You get to share photos and maybe a cool location that you know about at the same time.
ABIDE

'83 GL1100 Standard
LukeMacPU
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by LukeMacPU »

This is sad because there are no pictures. I understand if you stop reading now.

Just put roughly 1000 miles on the ol' GL1100 in the last week. Basically in 2 days of riding with family vacation in between. The good news is the bike effortlessly ran 75-85 mph the majority of the way. The bad news is I was stopping for fuel every 120 miles! crying1

Is that type of fuel economy normal for this bike? It is naked with no fairing/windshield. That's another sore subject, but I'll get to that in a minute. I had no luggage (Mrs. took it up in the truck with the kids a few days earlier). On the fast stretches, I hit reserve just over 100 miles. Best mpg was 130 miles and 3.87 gallons. Seems like I should do better than 33 mpg, what gives?

I've ridden long distances at highway speed on other un-faired bikes, but this was brutal. I sit so upright on this GL, that I was basically doing a mini crunch or pulling on the bars to keep from being blown over backwards. That got old fast. Definitely regret not pulling to trigger on a wind screen before the trip. My hip flexors and abs are sore along with my hands from hanging on.

Anyway, I may still be fighting a fueling issue. Just seems to take forever to pick up when swapped to reserve. First sign of sputtering I moved the pet-cock, still coasted to a stop from 80 mph before it got fuel. Just turned it over with the starter a bit on the side of the road and it fired back up. Seems that can't be normal.

This may be more of a technical post now that I'm re-reading it. Mods please move to appropriate area if needed.

Thanks in advance for any input on my odd experiences (running out of gas even though I have plenty, poor fuel economy).
ABIDE

'83 GL1100 Standard
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

I get 42 on my @1 '82 with plexifairing windshield @60 -65 MPH. Kick it up to 75-80 and MPG drops drastically.
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
lcallison
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by lcallison »

My 82, even when running hard got near 40 mpg, with fairing and bags. With the sidecar I get 29 average.
Larry
84 GL1200A
79 GL1000
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

You should definitely get better mileage. I ride pretty hard and I get 37-39 mpg routinely. Nice mellow riding and I'm up around 45 mpg. While it does take a few moments to get the reserve going, you shouldn't be coming to a stop when doing 80mph. More like 60mph at the worst. Really only about 10 seconds before reserve kicks in. I'd look into replacing your fuel filter and/or cleaning your tank/petcock. Not sure if that would affect mileage but if your tank is gummed, chances are your carbs are too to some extent. You could try a can of SeaFoam MotorTreatment and see if that cures your ills. That's typically recommended as a yearly preventative maintenance measure. Just add a whole can to a full tank of gas. Then run it all out while enjoying the day.

Even a small screen to get the wind blast off your chest is a huge benefit at 70mph+ riding. I swap between a small Memphis Shades Hellcat screen and a Plexifairing 3 for cold weather or a big trip on lots of interstate.

Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

LukeMacPU wrote:Putnam Park. This is a road course in rural Indiana.
Putnam Park is a great place. I've been there racing with a friend and his car club.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

I get a consistent 38 mpg on my 83. Thats an average of highway and in town, with some fast get ways. I would also encourage you to check your speedometer against a GPS unit for mileage.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
LukeMacPU
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by LukeMacPU »

Brant wrote:I get a consistent 38 mpg on my 83. Thats an average of highway and in town, with some fast get ways. I would also encourage you to check your speedometer against a GPS unit for mileage.
I posted my mileage issue over in the technical section. Lots of good suggestions. I've replaced my fuel line clamps on the suction side with better ones (no more air bubbles), and I vacuum synchronized the carbs. Much smoother running below 4000 rpms now. I'm currently burning a tank of fuel with Sea foam in it. I'll check my mpg again on the next full tank.

I did compare GPS speed to speedo indicated speed and found them to be within 1 mph at 75 mph. I did not compare ODO to GPS, but speedo was pretty much dead on.
ABIDE

'83 GL1100 Standard