a little trip through the wichitas

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

a little trip through the wichitas

Post by rcmatt007 »

While people may thing of southwest Oklahoma as flat, we actually have some ancient mountain ranges and the wichitas are the remenants of one of them. When we travel between here and Tulsa, this is the "back way" to out house, and prefered over the slab. Last Sunday I brought my 78 back down, just to warm it up a bit

As you can see, I am starting off with just few miles on the bike

while the route is scenic, you can have traffic jams

the area is geographicly old, with pink granite (the entrance to mount scott)

Mount Scott in the background, you can drive meandering around the mountain to the top and see for miles and miles

Mt Scott is actually not the tallest mountain in the wichitas.. notice the brown speck in the middle of the picture.... another buffalo (saw some longhorn, but none for a good picture)

The area is full of small lakes built as a part of the WPA
notice the tower in the background

and old homesteads which were bought out when it was turned into a national nature preserve

all and all, a relaxing way to finish off a drive back home
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
CYBORG

Re: a little trip through the wichitas

Post by CYBORG »

sweet action1 action1 action1 action1 action1
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

Very nice. A part of the country I don't recall seeing before.
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

it is desolate country, without those lakes and wells, no one could survive the summers. The settlers that came here had to be a tough breed, and the cattle they brought, longhorns are a tough breed as well
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by rogue1000 »

Nice! I love seeing buffalo wandering around...there is a small herd one can sometimes see alongside the road out in California Valley, Hwy.58...
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

sure make you nervous, though, when there is a group on each side of the road, and you need to pass through the middle..... up close they are HUGE
-Rodger-
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Nice, thanks for sharing
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the view from the top of mount scott

-Rodger-
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Real great stuff, thanks Rodger

now I got more places on my bucket list.......
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
HandsomeSteve
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HandsomeSteve »

Great pics, thank for sharing! Beautiful scenery and makes me want to take a nice trip somewhere via wing.
Current: 1977 Goldwing, 1982 CB450, 1964 Yamaha YJ1
Retired: 1971 Triumph Blazer, 1970 Triumph Trophy, 1969 Triumph Trophy
1981 Suzuki GS650, 1970 CB100
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Just a couple of pictures from the top of mount Scott... yes those are wind turbines in the distance
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

and yes a longhorn

warning: objects in the mirror are larger than they appear
-Rodger-
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

I wouldn't want one of those to sneak up behind me! lol
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1