Our trip to the Pacific NW....

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Re: Our trip to the Pacific NW....

Post by duke182 »

Looks like a great trip
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Well, I never finished this trip report so since its cold outside and heavy frost on the ground I'll attempt to complete the circle back to Missoula, Mt where we left the truck and trailer so we could go on our 3,000 mile motorcycle loop. We continued south on the Oregon coast and since Terrie never met a lighthouse she didn't like we visited another one.

Yaquina Head Lighthouse:

The lupine on the slopes around the lighthouse was in full bloom and led to several nice pictures:

We headed further south along the Oregon Coast to the next lighthouse, perhaps the most picturesque on the entire Pacific Coastline.

At first we went to the beach below the lighthouse, its a state park as is most of the Oregon coast. We were somewhat disappointed with the view of the lighthouse it wasn't what I was expecting.

Hecata Head Lighthouse:

While we were at the state park a ranger was collecting garbage from the various receptacles and loading them in he pickup. He no sooner turned his back and this guy alighted on the bags in the truck and began tearing a hole in one in order to get to the goodies within.

Somewhat disappointed in the picture we got from the beach we returned to the Oregon Coast Highway and crossed the bridge over the stream that emptied into the Pacific at the lighthouse beach. Just after we crossed the bridge there was a scenic pull off that on a whim we stopped at. As I got off the bike and looked behind us I was rewarded with the view I was expecting of the Hecata Head Light House.

I started to zoom in on the lighthouse.

Closer.

Closer still.

Satisfied that I got the shot I was expecting to get we continued south on US-101

Oregon Sand Dunes National Seashore

The dunes was our last stop along the Oregon Coast Highway before we turned inland on our way to Crater Lake NP.

However, we managed to find something of interest before we got to Crater Lake and that was a waterfall. Terrie had her lighthouses, I like waterfalls.

Located within Crater Lake NP is Tokeetee Falls just along route 138. A short hike takes you to the view point above the falls. The waterfall itself cuts through vertical basalt columns created by an ancient lava flow making for one of the most unique waterfalls in he country.

Tokeetee Falls.

The hike from the parking lot to the falls.

The stream above the falls.

The falls.

From the falls it was a fairly short ride to Crater Lake and the beginning of our Ring of Fire Volcano Tour.

When we arrived on the south shore of the lake the sky was sunny and the water a beautiful blue.

Looking north across the Cascades from the Crater Lake rim road.

Crater Lake is an extinct volcano and the lake itself formed in the caldera.

The streaking in the water is caused by pine tree pollen.

This picture shows how steep the slope and in places cliffs surrounding the lake.

Still plenty of ice along the rim road even though it was the Fourth of July.

This is Mount Baker located at one of the higher elevations along the rim road and is itself a small volcano that blew itself up long ago.

After we left the Mount Baker area clouds began to role in and the waters turned grey.

That we spent the night in Klamath Falls and the next day we started to head north on the return side to Missoula. However, there is much to see between Klamath Falls and Missoula. We headed north to Bend, OR where we temporarily turned west again on US-20 headed for Detroit Lakes. Once we turned onto 20 we had the Three Sisters ahead of us. More dormant Volcanoes.

Detroit Lakes might be scenic but it was hard to tell. Being the 4th of July weekend the lake was filled shore to shore with pleasure boats. We had planned on a picnic lunch in the area but there wasn't a parking spot to be had. After cruising looking for a place to park we finally settled for a burger at a local restaurant simply because a car pulled out and opened a parking spot in front of us. Since we could hardly get of the bikes we didn't get any pictures of Detroit Lakes. After a late lunch we headed for Government Camp which is located at the base of Mt. Hood. We took a somewhat unusual route to there though. There are a series of Forest Service roads that connect Detroit Lakes to US 26.Turned out to be a 60 mile trip on little used roads in a tunnel of trees much of it on a single lane road. It turned out to be a really great route with little traffic.

Climbing the rising terrain to the base of Mt. Hood we could see Mt. Jefferson in the distance toward the south.

Finally we get to Mt. Hood at Timberline Lodge.

We spent the night in Government Camp located just below Timberline Lodge and the next morning we circled around the western base of Mt Hood in order to enter the Columbia River Gorge.

A bit of haze in the air when we managed to get to the first overlook.

Pictures are from the southern or Oregon side of the gorge.

A favorite site in the gorge is Multnomah Falls which I had a devil of a time to get the entire falls in one picture. I simply couldn't back up far enough. Multnomah is spring fed and another two step falls with a bridge overlooking the pool at the end of the first stage.

Traveling further east we came to the Bonneville Lock and Dam.

Turbulent water in the spillway.

Bonneville is equipped with fish ladders.

Not only can you view the fish in the ladders from above as in this picture but you can also view them through glass in the visitors center.

Tourists weren't the only things with a keen interest in the fish in the fish ladders.

A barge entering the locks to continue down stream.

From Bonneville we continued east up river and crossed into Washington at the Bridge of the Gods which is also the crossing point of the Pacific Crest Trail. A mode of tourism that I'm not likely to take up. The reason to cross here was to ride National Forest Roads 30 and 25 north to Mount St Helens National Monument. I visited Mt St Helens on a previous trip that time approaching the mountain from the west. This time we approached from the south and east. Its a trip of over a hundred miles to get from one side of the mountain to the other by road so you pretty much have to pick a side if your time is limited.

Our first view of the south face of Mt St Helens from about thirty five miles away.

Traveling closer to the volcano you begin to ride through the zone devastated by the 1980 eruption. At first a zone were reforestation is evident.

And then the reforestation begins to thin out some. At this point you can see the north face of the mountain in the distance.

And then closest to the volcano a region of pumice deposits in some areas over thirty feet deep.

And finally the road terminates in a parking lot with excellent views of the north face as well as sprit lake which lies at the foot of the mountain. The debris in the lake is tree trunks killed in the explosion that are still being washed into the lake.

From Mt St Helens its a relatively short ride to Mt Rainier NP. So after staying the night in a nearby hotel we set aside the entire rest of the day to riding the park. I had visited the Paradise Visitors Center on a previous trip but that day was rainy and the mountain top was obscured by clouds. Fortunately we had a clear and sunny day. We decided to ride to the Sunrise Visitors Center first.

We can see the peak in the distance whenever the road widens enough to give a view over the trees.

Getting closer.

And closer.

Its not a straight road to Paradise and there is much to see other than Rainier's peak.

Mountain Meadows complete with hikers.

Near the visitors center the slopes gentle.

The gift shop is located on the ground floor of this building. The upper floors are used to house the workers that man the gift shop and visitors center. Good thing too as its at least a 2 1/2 hour one way trip up the mountain.

Sunrise Visitors Center.

Views from the foot paths around the Sunrise area.

Time for lunch.

After time spent at Sunrise we decided to descend the mountain loop around to the south face and go to the Paradise Visitors Center.

Down and around the mountain.

Approaching Paradise.

Paradise is basically a ski lodge, views of the peak.

Hikers headed toward the peak from behind the visitors center.

Leaving Paradise.

The next morning we began heading due east on US 12 across Washington State. This was mostly a travel day and didn't stop to take many pictures. However, it was a very scenic ride. Starting in the foothills of the Cascades across apple orchard country through irrigated farming to dry land farming then desert and back into irrigated farming to the Sawtooth Range foot hills at Orifino, ID where we stopped for the night. This turned out to be the hottest day of the entire trip. As we were passing Clarkston and Lewiston the temperature reached 104 F. The last 40 miles or so were on the blackest fresh asphalt imaginable. We were already hot when we hit this stretch of road but here I thought the tires might melt off the rims from the reflected heat. Except for the heat it was a great ride.

The next day we left heading east on one of my favorite roads to ride in the country, Idaho US-12.

Near the beginning.

I hope you enjoy the scenery as much as we did.

Terrie's Reaction after completing the winding road.

Lolo Pass Visitors Center located right next to the Idaho Montana Line. Visitors center is in Idaho.

And this patch of Bear Grass on the opposite side of the parking lot from the visitors center is in Montana.

From here is was a short ride to where the truck where we loaded the bikes and then checked in to a local hotel to get ready for the four day drive home.

If you enjoyed the travelog here are links to previous trip reports.

2018 Return to the Dakotas

2016 Fall Colors

2013 New Mexico & Colorado

2012 Balloon Festival and Fall Color

2011 Yellowstone with the Grand Daughters

Multi Trip Mashup
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Awesome as always .... digital technology must have been a boon for your travel budget .... imagine doing all this on 35mm film !!

Gord(kodachrome)Jones action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Beautiful. My wife and I just visited many of the same areas you did last September. Love the scenery in Washington and Oregon.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Sooo Fine !! We'll be watching this on the big screen tonight. Thanks again Dean & Terry.

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018