Isle of Man(itoulin) Canadian Run. Sept. 8-9-10 2014

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

ascot
Run Executive
Run Executive

Isle of Man(itoulin) Canadian Run. Sept. 8-9-10 2014

Post by ascot »

We started our little get together at my house on Sunday (Sept.7) for a corn roast and rib BBQ. in attendance were RAT, 82aspy, CYBORG, Redwood, rcmatt007 and bstuebing. Had a nice meet and greet along with some good conversation and even some wrenching. Seems like the stator went out on Redwoods bike on the ride up from Virginia and they even had to push the bike across the border into Canada. After stopping at a Walmart to get a car battery, charger and some bungey cords, they made it to my place. After dinner, we went out to try and diagnose the problem to make sure it wasn't something other than the stator. Having switched most electrical parts, it was deemed to indeed be a bad stator. Everything bolted back up and they departed for the hotel.
Monday morning dawned clear and cool, just a perfect day for a ride. The breakfast meet was for 7am at Angels in Cambridge. I met Cyborg, Redwood and rcmat007 at the hotel and when we arrived at the restaurant, we were greeted by Rat, Oldboy and Millwright. Had a nice breakfast and as we were getting ready to mount up we were joined by bstuebing and 82aspy. Oldboy had to leave us to go back to work and we headed off via back country roads to Tobermory and the ferry terminal. We arrived at the ferry terminal at around noon and were greeted by kypondman, Fred Camper and greg foresi. After boarding the ferry we had a beautiful crossing over to South Baymouth. We stopped for fuel just outside town and had a spirited ride over to Mindemoya to get provisions and beverages for our stay at the motel. Continued on to the Huron Sands motel in Providence Bay and got checked in. Sandy and Ken L were already there, so the group was complete. We then chatted a while and headed back to Mindemoya for dinner. At this time we had to say goodbye to 82aspy as he headed back to Sudbury then Toronto for work. The rest of the group had a nice dinner at the Roosteraunt and then bact to the motel for more beverages and conversation.
Tuesday was another beautiful day and we had a good day of riding ahead of us. After breakfast at Moms (restaurant) we headed for Meldrum Bay on the extreme west end of the island. The roads are a little rough on the island and we took our time to enjoy our ride. We stopped at the general store and Meldrum Bay Inn for and drink and a snack before heading to Gore Bay and lunch. During our lunch we heard that he weather forecast for Wednesday was for rain, so we decided to extend our ride to cover the rest if the sights we had planned to see. Next stop was Kagawong and Bridal Veil Falls. We went on a nice hike from the parking area out to the falls and were even able to go behind the falls for a refreshing view. Not many fish in the river coming up to the falls and we saw on lonely fish swimming around beneath the falls. We then headed back to the motel for the rest of the afternoon. Dinner was again in Mindemoya (after Labor Day no restaurants open in Providence Bay Monday and Tuesday) at Moms and then as the fog rolled in we headed back to the motel.
Wednesday morning was overcast when we headed out to breakfast. We had planned to spend the day at the motel, so we headed back and a few of us then went for a walk on the beach. Greg Foresi and Rat went to try and catch some fish at the dock. Afterwords everyone gathered in the parking lot of the motel and swapped stories and inspected bikes. Lunch was just sandwiches and drinks and we spent a lazy afternoon doing more talking and drinking. Dinner was planned for 6pm at the Old School House restaurant. Little did we know this was a "fine dining" establishment and we had a fantastic meal topped off with some yummy desserts. Creme Brule anyone??? The rain wasn't very hard and in didn't dampen anyones spirits.
Thursday morning was COLD and damp. Kypondman, Cyborg and Rat were to head out early as they were headed to Sault Ste Marie and down the UP of Michigan. Cyborg had some bike issues and it was lucky that Sandy had his van and trailer to take his bike to the Soo. The rest of us headed for breakfast and on to the ferry ternimal in South Baymouth. The ferry was rolling a little on the way over due to rougher water but no-one needed the bags provided! We rode together from Tobermory to Owen Sound where the group split up to head home. Greg Foresi and Fred Camper headed South along the shores of Lake Huron, bstuebing and Millwright headed the back roads to home.Redwood, rcmatt007, KenL and I headed into Owen Sound to stop at the Harley shop and then down the highway. We split just east of Cambridge where Redwood and rcmatt007 headed for a motel in Burlington and KenL headed to Niagara.
Everyone made it home safe and it was quite and experience. Can't wait to do it again!!!!!
Last edited by ascot on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep 'em running!!!
1976 GL1000 Yellow (daily rider)(sold)
1984 VT500FT Ascot (sold)
1977 Yamaha RD200 (barn find project)(sold)
1980 Honda XR80 (sold)
1972 Yamaha JT2 60 Mini Enduro
1969 Honda Z50A Mini Trail
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Isle of Man(itoulin) Canadian Run. Sept. 8-9-10 2014

Post by Rat »

A Huge THANK YOU to Pete for looking after all the arrangements and for a fabulous feast to start off a wonderful ride.

action1 action1 anim-cheers1 action1

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

+1!!!

the perp

"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

I'm still trying to figure out how he got a bike to match his jacket so well.

Thanks again Ascot. Well done.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg