All around the Pacific northwest!

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: All around the Pacific northwest!

Post by mr west »

May 24:th

After a somewhat heavy breakfast at Union Creek, we head up to the portion of Crater Lake that is open. Its been snowing so much that its only a fraction of the whole loop around the lake they have managed to plow. But it was totally worth it!

After hanging around and enjoying the view a while, we decide to go south and hopefully have someone on the way look at the bike.

After about 20 miles we stop for gas, and could then verify that in the last 260 miles the coolant reservoir has gone from full to empty, meaning we most likely have a head gasket problem.... in Medford we call around to mechanics, all who seem busy, before stepping in to Honda retail and repair asking for help. The head mechanic was sincerely sorry they dont work on or has parts for older bikes, but he was extremely helpful in trying to find someone willing to do it, or trying to find any other solution. Maybe after seeing our two sitars and remembering the days of his youth, when he saw Ravi Shankar play, he tried even harder.

Still, to have someone work on it would cost at least 500 dollars, and take days we dont have.

So compared to that it seems better just to try to make it back, fix the bike myself before my flight home, and then see San Francisco and Redwood another time.

I would like to have a gasket kit waiting in LA when we get back. Which one should I order? Does it need to be Honda or what do you guys recommend?
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

For head gaskets Honda is best although others have had good results with Athena & Vesrah. Along with the head gaskets you will need gaskets for the coolant tubes where they meet the heads as well as new o-rings for the coolant tubes and for the carb intakes where they meet the heads and exhaust gaskets and a new o-ring for the oil nozzle located inside the head. All of that comes in the Athena and Vesrah kits.

I've never done a GL1000 head only gl1100s. There may be a gasket or o-ring needed for the left head where the cam drives the points as well. And while your in that deep you may as well replace the cam seals.

Some folks will buy the Vesrah or Athena kit and supplement it with the OEM head gaskets.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

CharlieP is in Bend OR, thats close to Crater Lake, kinda. RebelRouser is in the Dalles, OR. Either one of them guys would probably help ya if they could.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Thats not much help, just looked at a map. Sorry.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

The stp sealant is a good idea. It won't hurt the cooling system. A head gasket change takes about two hours, using a standard socket set and a torque wrench. Honda head gasket recommended. Western Honda online can get them to you at best price
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

Sorry I did not get back to your text. I have had good luck with Bar's leak stop leak. This stuff wont clog your radiator like other sealants will. Part #1194 available at Napa and most other part stores.

Those pics are great, makes me jealous that I'm not riding with you guys.
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Thanks for all the input! Exactly what I wanted to know. This forum is really great! Im leaning to buying a gasket kit like Athena and the head gaskets themselves from Honda.

I think I might try that Bar's for now if it wont hurt... thanks DUGG! Im sure we'll ride again some day!
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

Should I order new head bolts too, or reuse..?
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
mrs west
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by mrs west »

Yea thanks to everyone for all of your help!

Even though we have to skip some pretty things in California, I think Crater Lake was a good exclamation point as our final National Forest.
Attachments
KG putting on his contacts
KG putting on his contacts
IMG_2654.JPG (511.49 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Crater Lake and the bike
Crater Lake and the bike
IMG_2688.JPG (209.3 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
IMG_2701.JPG (331.83 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Crater Lake, Southwest corner
Crater Lake, Southwest corner
IMG_2707.JPG (291.37 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Mt Shasta
Mt Shasta
IMG_2742.JPG (153.85 KiB) Viewed 901 times
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

One more thing, add the stop leak directly into the radiator not the coolant bottle. Keep the shiny side up!

And while you've got the heads off you might as well put in those hotter cams :flamer
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

mr west wrote:Should I order new head bolts too, or reuse..?
reuse the old. But make sure you clean the threads and lube the threads an under the washers to achieve the proper clamping pressure. Also check the Service bulletin for the u[dated torque values

https://www.ngwclub.com/File%20Share/10 ... 0%2314.pdf
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
mr west
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mr west »

May 25:th

Starting the day in Redding. Trying to order top end gasket kit. Honda has discontinued making head gaskets, so I will just use all from the Vesrah kit. Finally we found a kit that is now waiting in a shop in LA.

The plan is stil l to try to make it nearest way back to LA via I5 or 99.

After filling ourselves with sandwiches, we filled the radiator with Bar's french dressing from NAPA... then we went. The freeway is super boring... but at least the coolant level stayed full. Then after some time slowly, slowly temp went up. We figured maybe some fresh water without that dressing would do a better job, so we changed it. Then perfect. For a while. Then slowly raising temperature. Now we noticed that the reservoir stayed full, but the radiator was not full, so we filled it up and went again. Perfect. For a while. Then slowly raising temperature. Just reached motel 6 when it started to be way to hot. Bike started to feel like running on three cylinders too.

Took out the suspect no 3 spark plug and found two small drops of liquid on it.

Ideas? How can the reservoir stay full when radiator is not? We are 230 miles from LA and would love to make it back!
1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000 Vetter
DUGG
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by DUGG »

I thought for sure that the Bar's leak would do the trick. The coolant is pushed to the reservoir when it gets hot and expands, it is drawn back to the radiator when it cools and contracts. If the engine is hot it won't pull from the reservoir until it cools down.
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I don't remember if you changed your timing belts last year, if you haven't this is a golden opportunity to do so since you'll be removing them anyway. Rock Auto (order online) seems to have the best price. I think the part number is in the cross over parts list. If not someone will chime in with it.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

A leak in the hose from the radiator to the overflow would cause it to be not drawn back in even when cold. The expansion while being heated would still push some out, but a small leak would allow it to suck air and lose its "vacuum " when cooling.

It might be worth checking that siphon hose from the reservoir to the radiator. Could save a lot of work and worrying.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi