What last week has been like........

This Forum is for the sharing of information related to routes and rides. A place to share Ride Reports, Ride Video's, Routes, Stories, etc etc etc....

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, Forum Moderators

Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

What last week has been like........

Post by Sagebrush »

Over the years some of you have met a couple of dear friends of ours Charlie and Debbie West. Most recently at the Deadwood Rally last August. They are a couple that three years ago retired, shut down his civil aircraft repair business, sold their home and all the contents, auctioned off all his tools bought a 42' motor home and took up the full time RV life style.

Starting in April they returned to Spearfish, SD to begin another stint as volunteers at the D. C. Booth historic fish hatchery in Spearfish. While there Charlie began to fill ill and after several trips to the Doctors his condition deteriorated to the point that he was admitted to a hospital in Rapid City through the Emergency Room. After a series of diagnostic tests it was discovered that Charlie has late stage liver cancer. Charlie's condition is such that he cant drive and Debbie's support network, family and friends are located north of Henderson, NC just over the state line in Virginia. They determined it was best to get back Virginia.

Because of Charlie's contacts while operating his business he had another friend fly his Beachcraft Baron out to Spearfish to pick Charlie up and bring him and Debbie home. My wife, Terrie, and I volunteered to drive their motor home back from Spearfish.

The stars aligned so that the pilots schedule, our schedule and Charlies discharge from the hospital came together to allow us to leave last Sunday to fly out to Spearfish which we did.

Fueling up at the local county airport before our initial take off:
IMG_20190602_083744.jpg
IMG_20190602_083744.jpg (68.38 KiB) Viewed 820 times
We arrived in Spearfish nine hours later having made the trip in three separate legs. Upon arrival we checked into the local hotel then off to the campground to get an orientation with the RV from Charlie. The friends that Charlie and Debbie made in the campground had already hooked up the trailer to the RV and had the rig ready for the road. While Charlie and I went over the RV they loaded the Jeep on the trailer. We then pulled the rig out to a local strip mall parking lot near the hotel for an early Monday morning departure.

Monday morning, more friends from the campground picked us up at the motel and took us to the RV where we said our goodbyes and hit the open road for a 1900 mile trip in a strange vehicle that is someone's home that contains all their worldly possessions. No pressure there. We planned our trip to break it up into approximately 350 mile segments planning to get the RV back to Debbie Friday evening. We were not planning to use the RV to live in but stay in motels every night. We hastily had planned our trip just before we left and located hotels and desired intervals with the most important consideration being that they had to have truck, bus or RV parking.

Second night on the road at a motel in Iowa:
IMG_20190604_154232.jpg
IMG_20190604_154232.jpg (81.43 KiB) Viewed 820 times
The trip went well mostly without incident with the exception of our arrival at a hotel near Indianapolis where we arrived in a downpour and I had to back into an adjacent gravel parking lot. Since I can't see well even in the mirrors while backing I needed Terrie to spot me while backing. It was a tight turn and required several back and forth maneuvers to get the rig situated all the time Terrie is getting soaked to the skin. By the time we were finished she was mad as hell but being the trooper that she is she was over it by the following morning.

We made it to Charleston, WV and left the hotel Friday morning on what was supposed to be our last day on the road but while leaving the hotel the RV developed a significant thump that coincided with tire rotation. That led to a mad scramble to find a truck tire service center that could investigate our tires. My worst fear was one of the tires had broken a belt or had tread separating beginning that could lead to a blow out. A blowout on an RV can cause thousands of dollars of damage which was a scenario that I was willing to spend as much time as it took to avoid. Since we really couldn't determine which tire it might be or even front or rear we pulled all the tires starting with the rears and spin balancing them to see if any were out of round.
IMG_20190607_092812.jpg
IMG_20190607_092812.jpg (94.78 KiB) Viewed 820 times
We finally determined that the right front was heavily cupped and was the cause of the issue but was assured that the tire was not dangerous and would make it back to VA just fine. So at 1pm we finally left Charleston but had to stop that night in Bluefield, WV due to our delay and the heavy traffic and road construction delays we found all along the I-77 southbound lanes.

Yesterday morning we left Bluefield and finally made it to our destination in the middle of the afternoon. It took a couple of hours to get everything unloaded, unhooked and the RV positioned in Debbie's sister's back yard and set up for occupation. Mutual friends drove us home. This morning we still have to go get my vehicle from the airport parking lot and retrieve some items we left in our friends vehicle after too much celebrating a successful trip last night. The wife and I are bone weary right now but really glad we could help out friends in need.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
CYBORG

Re: What last week has been like........

Post by CYBORG »

A REAL friend indeed. (not so easy to find these days) action1 action1 action1
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

So sad to hear about your friend Charlie's condition...
CYBORG wrote:A REAL friend indeed. (not so easy to find these days) action1 action1 action1
Indeed!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Nice work.

Gord action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

So terribly sorry about your Friend :( :( :( :( :(
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

wow, you and Terrie are both AMAZING!

all the best to Charlie & Debbie!
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson