34 Pict 3 carb problem

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

34 Pict 3 carb problem

Post by MikeNTexas »

I am finishing up a GL1000 project that I have built from a basket case. In the boxes of parts was a new manifold for the 34 Pict 3 carb. I also have a stock carb rack but it appears to have water damage and one or more carb is seized. So I took a chance and bought a Chinese 34 Pict 3 carb on ebay. Motor starts and idles fine. Blipping the throttle gives instant response. First test ride yielded very poor results. No power taking off. By easing off slipping the clutch the problem persists until about 4000 RPM then all hell brakes loose and it runs like a scalded dog. At least as good as my bone stock GL1000.

I have read all the 34 Pict 3 topics I can find and most just say to use the 30 Pict 3 instead. I would like to make this one work if possible. Does anyone have any real world experience with this carb? Can the problem be lessened if not eliminated by re-jetting? It came with a 127 main jet and a 70 idle jet.

I recently built a GL1100 and put a Holley 5200 which is a Weber 32/36 clone on it and was very happy with the results. I was hoping for the same results from this conversion but its not happening.

Any helpful comments will be greatly appreciated.
1975 GL1000 Restored (sold)
1983 GL1100 Custom (sold)
1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
Another1976 GL1000 Project (finished and sold)
MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: 34 Pict 3 carb problem

Post by MikeNTexas »

I found out that Mikuni jets are the same thread as the Solex jets so I ordered an assortment of 15 main jets on eBay for only $8.65 with shipping included. Same price as eBay listings for 4 Solex jets. The main jet on in the Solex can be changed without removing the carb so when they come in I’ll start swapping jets and see if I can eliminate the problem.
Lowrider Bud
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Lowrider Bud »

Mike, I followed your 1100/Weber setup on another thread while I was converting my '75 GL1000 to a 34 PICT 3 (Chinese Solex). I fought the initial install for months, but finally got the bike to level out, idle well, and accelerate without a bog or bang. Seemed to all happen when I blocked the choke full open cause the bike was running rich as heck. That allowed it to settle down and the installation of a 40 idle jet allowed me to set the idle and it just ran great after that.

Now the bad part of my adventure - after months of effort and money - Labor day weekend I crashed the bike! Low speed but damaged some important stuff (on the bike and my left arm). I'm almost back to 100% and hope to get the bike running this week.

Good Luck with you Solex setup. Bud...
Time for another Road Trip...
MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MikeNTexas »

Lowrider Bud wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:08 am Mike, I followed your 1100/Weber setup on another thread while I was converting my '75 GL1000 to a 34 PICT 3 (Chinese Solex). I fought the initial install for months, but finally got the bike to level out, idle well, and accelerate without a bog or bang. Seemed to all happen when I blocked the choke full open cause the bike was running rich as heck. That allowed it to settle down and the installation of a 40 idle jet allowed me to set the idle and it just ran great after that.

Now the bad part of my adventure - after months of effort and money - Labor day weekend I crashed the bike! Low speed but damaged some important stuff (on the bike and my left arm). I'm almost back to 100% and hope to get the bike running this week.

Good Luck with you Solex setup. Bud...
Bud, sorry to hear about your mishap and I’m glad to hear you got yours sorted out. Gives me hope. I made sure the choke opened all the way before riding it so I don’t believe that is part of my problem. If I can’t iron it out with the high speed jet I’ll start on the idle jet. Do you know what size high speed jet you have?
Lowrider Bud
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Lowrider Bud »

I'm running the 127 that came in the carb. Tried a 140 but that jet mad it real fat. Seems the idle circuits get a bit of a bleed-off from the main if I remember correctly.

Later, Bud...
Time for another Road Trip...
MikeNTexas
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MikeNTexas »

I received the jet assortment and swapped the 127 main jet for a 135. I figured I’d take a big leap and if it’s too rich then I’ll start whittling it back down. It runs much better. Comes on strong at 2000 instead of 4000 now. Only a little slipping of the clutch is needed to get it rolling. May go one step richer and see what happens.