GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

Post by ericheath »

Nice. For Socrace and others who use your phones for speed etc, doesn't this use your data? It must? So if you travel outside your plan you'd incur charges? I live right at the Canadian border and data in Canada is expensive. As it is, I get charges for using their cell towers even though I am in the U.S.? Even though my phone is set to "no roaming" it will grab one of their towers and they hit me for a couple bucks every time.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

use your phones for speed etc, doesn't this use your data?
If possible, set phone's location service to use gps only, no roaming charges for that.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

That's a cool app, I use an iPad mini on my sailboat that talks to a bunch of wind/water/GPS/engine sensors and displays the data, much like yours does. I have it mounted in a fully waterproof case, that still gives me full access to the touch screen. The case is made by an outfit called LifeProof, I know they make an iPhone model not sure on other smartphones. The data link I use is Wifi, not BT, as I have put a Wifi network on the boat. Next stage is to couple my new Garmin digital autopilot into the iPad system.

But my bad is I spending far too much time playing on the boat, and not near enough time on the bikes. :IDTS:
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Yeah the Samsung is waterproof, but would definitely get a case otherwise. Probably should anyway, even though I'm 1,000 mi from salt water.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Tx, I will call and ask the eggsperts. I assumed gps was data, maybe not.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Hope it works out.
I would not trust the phone co to know anything about gps, since phones get it direct from USAF satellites.
But the phone co should be able to stop those unwanted roaming charges!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Used a speedometer app on my Samsung yesterday. After some googling, it doesn't use data but needs to know location of course. It works well in my Old Caddie which has very limited lines for kph for driving in Canada. I have a sticky pad on my steering wheel that I attach the phone to. Now I know what my speed is without doing the math. I can see this working well on the bike.

Using data opens up Google and others from tracking where you are. I'm not a criminal, but I don't like the idea that everywhere you go is being recorded. In my search for whether it used data or not, I came across an article where a guy got out of a speeding ticket by producing evidence from his phone that he wasn't speeding.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

I wanted to resurrect this thread to add something I found to make this swap more feasible in regards to the fuel pump side of things. This company - http://www.ecotrons.com/products/400cc_ ... ction_kit/ will sell the 45L/h fuel pump for the kit I linked individually for $85. It is an inline pump designed to run up to 3 bar, and draws lower amps thank an automotive fuel pump because it is designed specifically for small engines like a motorcycle. All you have to do is e-mail them and they will sell you said pump. It is not listed on their site.

I would also like to say this is a great write up, because I was debating converting my bike to EFI, and this seems like the best option as far as ease.
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

That's a good link.

I used megasquirt and an airtex pump for mine. No issues with power draw. I've got 13.8 volts at idle with the fan on.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Toehead wrote:That's a good link.

I used megasquirt and an airtex pump for mine. No issues with power draw. I've got 13.8 volts at idle with the fan on.
I favorited this just so I can do mine. Trying to locate a complete intake setup at the moment, and I was planning on running Microsquirt with mine, but we shall see. I was at first toying with using 01-03 GSXR 600 throttle bodies (38mm) with the stock carb manifolds to the heads, but that would be a lot of linkage tinkering, and this, while maybe not as big, is much easier, just more expensive for the bodies. $200 vs $75 for the Gixxer bodies.
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
Gator417
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Gator417 »

MegaDan, I think you could use the GSXR throttle bodies in place of the stock pieces and use the stock linkage. Of course you'd have to tinker a bit, but if they split in the middle, like most of them do, it shouldn't be to much work. Ther will be more work getting the GSXR throttle bodies to mate up with the GL runners, but again, nothing too difficult.
Gator
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

I should clarify as well: I used microsquirt. You can PM me if you have any questions.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Gator417 wrote:MegaDan, I think you could use the GSXR throttle bodies in place of the stock pieces and use the stock linkage. Of course you'd have to tinker a bit, but if they split in the middle, like most of them do, it shouldn't be to much work. Ther will be more work getting the GSXR throttle bodies to mate up with the GL runners, but again, nothing too difficult.
Gator
I did consider trying to swap the carbs with the throttle bodies, but I'm not sure on the size of the GSXR bodies compared to the stock carbs. What I am trying to find out, short of taking mine apart, is what the OD of the carb body is where it meets with the runner. The GSXR 600 bodies are 44mm, but I suspect the carb body at that juncture is closer to 38mm. I'd have to find some sort of adapter to mate them.
Gator417
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Gator417 »

Oh, yeah, that's an issue. I thought you were using the runners from an efi engine for some reason. Do the throttle bodies from the GSXR have the injector bungs as well? If not, that's another issue to figure out. No big deal though.
Are you using those throttle bodies just because you have them, or can get them cheap? You may be able to find another set that are closer to the 38mm you need if you do a little looking. Keep us posted.
Gator
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Gator417 wrote:Oh, yeah, that's an issue. I thought you were using the runners from an efi engine for some reason. Do the throttle bodies from the GSXR have the injector bungs as well? If not, that's another issue to figure out. No big deal though.
Are you using those throttle bodies just because you have them, or can get them cheap? You may be able to find another set that are closer to the 38mm you need if you do a little looking. Keep us posted.
Gator
The 01-03 600 bodies are seperable and have built in injector bungs. I was considering them because they are easily obtained, would be easy to make work (relatively) and come with the injectors already about the right size. My big concern is the size of the throttles being 38mm, but being reduced should help offset any side effects of velocity loss. The only real issue is the fuel rails, but I can make those (i've done it before). I may just take the plunge and buy this set. It's $75 and comes complete. Not a terribly huge loss if I change my mind, plus I can turn around and sell them if I need to and probably get my money back.