GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

Post by socrace »

Hey JBz, the fuel and spark maps I posted on Nov25,2013 can be used with ms2extra, no problem.

If I can get my ms2extra firmware installed and working, I'll post the TunerStudio "tune" file. This file could then be loaded into yours and microsquirt will be configured and ready to use. Would just need to fine tune things after that.

Actually, you could ask icb for his tune file, it would probably be close enough to yours to get the engine started and idling.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

socrace wrote:Hey JBz, the fuel and spark maps I posted on Nov25,2013 can be used with ms2extra, no problem.

If I can get my ms2extra firmware installed and working, I'll post the TunerStudio "tune" file. This file could then be loaded into yours and microsquirt will be configured and ready to use. Would just need to fine tune things after that.

Actually, you could ask icb for his tune file, it would probably be close enough to yours to get the engine started and idling.
I think my numbers would be way off since my injectors are so large. Around idle im in the 30s on the VE table. I did find good results using the table generator that TS has and just used the autotune/ve analyze live function with my laptop in a backpack while riding to fine tune.

That did well for idle and cruise, for everything else i'll look at the datalog and run the analysis in megalogger...burn the new map and go for a ride with the laptop to see what else needs to be adjusted.
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Here's the tunerstudio "tune" file that I'm currently using with my microsquirtv3 install, running ms/extra 3.3.1 firmware and tunerstudio 2.6.01.
This tune (msq) file has all the settings and all the tables needed by microsquirt (except for temp sensor tables, which are installed differently for some reason).
It uses a 36-1 wheel, read by a diyautotune hall sensor, and uses the stock '81 honda ignitors and coils for ignition.
CurrentTune.zip
(12.34 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Feel free to pm me with any questions anyone might have about it!
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Well, turns out that stock Honda ignitors don't really work well with microsquirt!
What I found is that at start-up, idle and mid-rpm, everything works fine, but anything over about 5000 rpm and the motor starts loosing power and backfiring.
Thought at first it was a tuning issue, but used a scope on it and was clear the ignitors were basically shutting down. Apparently the trigger voltage level rises with rpm, probably to reduce false triggering from the stock crank pulse coils (which put out over 100v at high rpm).
The ignitors used on the '85/86 LTD and SEI don't have this problem, but the GL1100 ones do.
Anyway, switched to using two GM HEI 7-pin modules instead, and no more problems. Some directions on how to use these on the megasquirt site http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Good info, i went with a quadspark module and a neon coil. Took a look at your tune, looks pretty good. Numbers are about the same for me under 80-90kpa.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Thanks for the info, icb. One thing I did on this setup was use fixed fuel pressure, rather than try to reference it to manifold vacuum. The difference between the two is then built into the fuel table. But since the difference only works out to be about +-0.5 AFR number, not that much of a difference (with no boost anyway)! And maybe not too bad at lower boost levels?
And just to keep up with documenting things, here's the latest wiring schematic, using a 36-1 wheel, vr sensor and GM HEI 7-pin spark ignitors:
WingWiring_genericMSign.PNG
WingWiring_genericMSign.PNG (72.99 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Last edited by socrace on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

socrace wrote:Thanks for the info, icb. One thing I did on this setup was use fixed fuel pressure, rather than try to reference it to manifold vacuum. The difference between the two is then built into the fuel table. But since the difference only works out to be about +-0.5 AFR number, not that much of a difference (with no boost anyway)! And maybe not too bad at lower boost
When I didn't have the turbo I left the vac port on the regulator open like you're saying to have a fixed pressure. I read that it can be hard to tune with a vacuum reference. Now with the turbo I only reference boost to raise the pressure a bit.

I'm also using an aftermarket adjustable return style regulator set to 45psi at idle.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Wow, I see the Goldwing Research Lab has been busy!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Well some progress finally!
Got the full 4 channel ignition with cop coils installed and running well. Wound up using a cam sensor, utilizing the stock Honda mechanical fuel pump cam. Took a hacksaw to the pump mount housing, opened it up to fit a 1" sch 40 pvc pipe (had to be non-magnetic) and mounted a sensor using JB Weld. This pipe had just the right I.D. to hold a hall sensor that I got from Autozone for $11 (2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L crank sensor). This sensor uses a special $20 connector, so cut down the sensor and soldered wires directly to the 3 pins, then covered the injury with JB Weld. Slopped black paint over the whole thing to try and hide it, but it's still pretty ugly, needs a little more work (or maybe a cover):
camtrig2.jpg
camtrig2.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Also had to make some wiring changes, of course. Notice the protection diode added across the fan relay, needed because had to use the tach out pin and it does not have a diode built-in:
WingWiring_asbuiltMSign3.PNG
WingWiring_asbuiltMSign3.PNG (85.18 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Then made revised changes to TunerStudio settings (had to add 180deg to former 80 deg trigger wheel, crank mount was messed up somehow but with no apparent effects). Engine maybe starts a little faster than it did before:
fullcopsettings.jpg
fullcopsettings.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Here's the composite trigger capture from TunerStudio:
tunersync.PNG
tunersync.PNG (66.81 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Also re-mounted the microsquirt unit to clean up what had become over time a rats net of wires. Used the old ignition ignitors mounting area (with semi-professional relay lettering):
micromount.png
micromount.png (541.89 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Guess I should add that the main reason for doing all this is that ignition power usage is cut in half, from 80W waste fire (8,000 rpm) to 40W for sync fire. Also, all plugs now receive the same polarity of high voltage, which reduces misfire especially under high load and maybe someday when under nox or boost...
Last edited by socrace on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Interesting setup with the coil on plug...any more info on how the coils attach to the plugs? Looks like you added some wire?

I have a set of coils from a cbr600 or older zx6r (can't remember) I've been thinking about trying.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Hi icb,
They are Ford cop coils that have been slightly cut down and mounted on stock Honda plug terminals. There's a short piece of plug wire to connect the two. They are small, light, very powerful and cheap (hard to spend more than $10 apiece, even for new ones on ebay). They come in two mounting lug styles, unfortunately I bought the wrong ones so I just cut the mounting lugs off and mounted them with zip ties. Get the ones (if you do) that also fit Jaguar and have mounting lugs on the "back" side (under the electrical connector).
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

sunnbobb wrote:Wow, I see the Goldwing Research Lab has been busy!
We've got Dr. Bunsen "Socrace" Honeydew and his noble assistant "ICB" Beaker going at it. In the background (viciously taking notes) is Casper the Friendly Canuck disguised as an American eagle.
the-muppets-beaker-sam-bunsen.jpg
the-muppets-beaker-sam-bunsen.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Here's one of the bikes they're working on. This is all very secret stuff but I was able to sneak into muppet la..I mean NGW Labs and get a couple clandestine photos.
Miss-Piggy.jpg
Miss-Piggy.jpg (39.62 KiB) Viewed 275 times
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Dang, ........busted again. You can see that the 'super secret' EFI/Boost work being done is not really technologically driven, but rather we are just after the Biker Chicks, as shown by the last picture.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

OK, I'll admit Miss Piggy was probably in Chicago for that photoshoot, just doesn't look like Houston or Calgary, does it?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Amazing. Too much for me still, but good to see the waste spark eliminated. Look forward to reviews on performance.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi