GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

Post by socrace »

Both of those ideas can work.
But, it's probably easier to just enter a few numbers and let microsquirt do its thing.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Have also been perusing the web regarding MAP sensor information and came across this site, Water4Gas.com: Water4Gas Interactive Troubleshooter. This site talks about tuning the MAP sensor for street highway and city/cold start. It is an interesting approach that may be beneficial at start up.

The dual MAP Enhancer product is this:
mapenhancer_sml.jpg
mapenhancer_sml.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
The internals are:
Dual Enhancer Internals.jpg
Dual Enhancer Internals.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
When looking at the circuit, the voltage signal going to the computer can only be less then the sensor output. This means that you can let the computer think that the manifold pressure is lower then actual and therefore the computer will lean the mixture. This could be a way to address the IAC valve issue where you lean out the fuel mixture to match the reduced combustion air because of no IAC valve.

I have no issue with the engine operation at normal operating temperature, just at start up cold. If this were to be viable, I would have a single potentiometer unit such as this:
Dual Enhancer Internals - 2.jpg
Dual Enhancer Internals - 2.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
In this schematic, I have taken one of the potentiometers out and replaced it with a direct line from the MAP sensor.

May be a way to make this automatic going from start up to riding, who knows. More to read on this.

I do agree with socrace on this as well. If you are going to use a unit such as the microsquirt that is programmable "six ways to Sunday", do the programming and let the microsquirt do its job. If you are going more agricultural, the above may be a consideration such as on my '85 LTD fuel injection system that, as far as I know and can find, is not programmable - probably better that way.

Just some more thoughts on the issue.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
GQFreakinRican
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by GQFreakinRican »

to the op, what did you use to cut the manifold?
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Just a hacksaw, band saw would have been better though.
taunusrainer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taunusrainer »

Hi Bob!
Just a short question: The wiring diagram on page one, how to get the trigger signal off the ballast resistor:
Isn't the ballast resistor bypassed by the starter button when cranking? No signal then.
Maybe You have answered this already, but I didnt find it.
CU
Ray
mccfloyd
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by mccfloyd »

first time on here and don't know much if anything about building a efi system but am trying I have a microsquirt 3 and the 1200 gl injection system on the bike and was told I only have to have a air temp water temp tps and a o2 sensor and I can run a batch system the question is the stock tps sensor has a red and white wire a dark green and a light green what wire is what and how do I wire the injectors and the coils any help thanks in over my head
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

First things first. How about posting in the intro section, and tell us a little bit about your self, and your bike
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
mccfloyd
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by mccfloyd »

were is that at cant find
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

At the top of the page,...left side,...click on menu, go to "welcome". Click on welcome
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
mccfloyd
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by mccfloyd »

as for the bike I am building it is a 1983 GL1100
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

mccfloyd wrote:as for the bike I am building it is a 1983 GL1100
We like to see build threads from members working on a project.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

taunusrainer wrote:Hi Bob!
Just a short question: The wiring diagram on page one, how to get the trigger signal off the ballast resistor:
Isn't the ballast resistor bypassed by the starter button when cranking? No signal then.
Maybe You have answered this already, but I didnt find it.
CU
Ray
Sorry to take so long answering this!
An original wired '81 Goldwing does not bypass the ballast resistor when cranking.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

mccfloyd wrote:first time on here and don't know much if anything about building a efi system but am trying I have a microsquirt 3 and the 1200 gl injection system on the bike and was told I only have to have a air temp water temp tps and a o2 sensor and I can run a batch system the question is the stock tps sensor has a red and white wire a dark green and a light green what wire is what and how do I wire the injectors and the coils any help thanks in over my head
Sorry to take so long answering!
I agree that all you need is 2 temp sensors and tps. I got by for awhile in the summer without an air temp sensor.
The GL1200 had a high percentage of tps sensors replaced, so probably best to identify the connections with an ohm meter.
The injectors are kind of unusual in that they are of the saturated type, but also require ballast resistors. You can use the stock resistors, but ebay sellers seem to ask alot for them, maybe because of their hi-tech looking cooling fins. I just used a standard 10 ohm 10 watt resister in series with each injector, like these: http://a.co/d/3iwujPt
Looking forward to following your project!
mccfloyd
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by mccfloyd »

Okay I did not know that the injectors needed a resistor why if you don't mind me asking I am going to install the not questing you just want to know and when I am wiring this do I use the tack wire as the trigger off of the #1 coil thanks again for your help
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Mccfloyd,
Sounds like you're making progress.
As for ballasts, short answer is the injectors only measure about 2 ohms each, so they will definitely smoke themselves without a ballast resistor. Just about all Honda bike and car injectors from the 80's and 90's were made this way. Not really sure why, maybe a safety requirement in some countries?
Yeah, getting a tach signal using the method you describe is the more usual way. Should work well, and gives a pulse every 360 deg crank revolution. The way I did it will not work for everybody, as taunusrainer pointed out in post #215, but it has the advantage of giving a pulse every 180 deg, which makes things a little more accurate.